Why we need back the old MTV.

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/jon-chattman/adam-yauchs-passing_b_1478182.html?ref=tw

It was April 5, 1994. I had just gotten home from high school, and was playing a video game while listening to late great New York alt-rock and new wave station WDRE when the deejay broke in to say a body had been found in Kurt Cobain's home. As the story unfolded, I quickly shut off the video game and turned MTV on. Within minutes, Kurt Loder came on with a special report to break the news of the Nirvana frontman's suicide. Loder -- the voice of my generation in many ways -- remained on the air with industry pros discussing Cobain's legacy and the importance of his music. It eased some of the pain of the artist's death by simply listening and watching the coverage. We need that today, and we're not getting it. MTV used to make music news, cover it, and sometimes break it. It hasn't done that for decades, and it doesn't seem like they will ever again.
When Whitney Houston died a few months back, the network went silent, choosing to show its rebroadcast of the ever-important Teen Mom 2 series in its entirety. I suppose cutting into programming to cover the biggest death in music since the King of Pop was too much for the one-time giant. An hour or so ago, Twitter blew up with news that Adam Yauch, one-third of pioneering rappers the Beastie Boys, had passed away. I found myself looking for someone like Loder to not just tell me the news, but to cover it like the music news story it is. Instead, I had to rely on TMZ to confirm the story, and for Rolling Stone to confirm the news.
When you have to rely on TMZ for news -- that really says something. There has been a huge void in music since the days of Loder and Tabitha Soren, and we need it back. Reality TV killed the music video star. It's time for MTV to return to its roots. The music has been gone long enough. So has the credibility... the revolution? It's dead. I want my MTV back. I want Gilbert Gottfried cutting promos. I want to watch music videos of my favorite artists and new ones I never heard of. I want to mourn the death of an icon by watching tributes on a so-called music station. Yauch and the Beasties were pioneers in the hip hop and pop culture world. This news hurts. I have been a long-time fan of the triple trouble boys ever since I purchased "License to Ill" and saw their "Fight For Your Right" video for the first 2,000 times. I've always admired the group's music, advocacy (free Tibet), and other passion projects. Over the years, I've seen them in concert about eight times -- the last of which was at Madison Square Garden with one of my best buds and longtime Beastie devotee Rich Tarantino in 2004.
Reality TV killed the music video star. It's time for MTV to return to its roots. Cut the crap, cut into your programming now, and discuss Yauch's legacy (SiriusXM's Alt-Nation is as we speak), and how damn influential the Beastie Boys were and are. Return to a time long before Snooki and deadbeat teen moms infested the station like roaches to a city studio and... to MCA, thank you, and rest in peace.

I hope Viacom sees this article. I know everyone has there own opinion about MTV but when MTV was truly dedicated to music it was a great source of discovering new artist, keeping up with your favorite artist as well as related news. Now it's just like vh1 relying on reality tv shows for ratings.

Not only are these reality shows disrespectful to blacks, women, Italians etc it's overall affecting are youth the most.

It would be great to see MTV go back to its roots. I think it would be good for the industry as a whole and even society.

What do you guys think?

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
Im cool with having any video I want on demand rather than waiting for MTV to play ones I want to hear. There was only so much Blind Melon 'No Rain' you could see in one day.

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
tl;dr but im sure i agree with what it said. but its too late for mtv to make such a drastic change, it would lose a lot of viewership if it did. there needs to be a new channel, maybe mtv3 where they spotlight the good and new hip hop/rock/country/pop. just keep it MUSIC TELEVISION and stop with the bullshyt ass shows that have nothing to do with music.

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
I'm too young to remember MTV in it's prime. Plus I'm from Canada so any music videos I needed to see were in much music including our own version of Rap City. The only time I can think of when a tv station informed me of someone's passing was when proof died. i was watching 106 and park.

RhymesWell

All Star
Daps
Man, when MTV, BET, AND VH1 actually covered MUSIC were great times as a fan. You could discover a lot of artists you had never heard of. And if the industry was fukking smart, they'd advocate for a new channel such as this or start one because it helped keep the artists in the fans faces and sell records. Besides the obvious reasons of technology, I think the downfall in quality from BET and MTV helped kill sales across the board.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
What are there reasons for not focusing on music?

Is it because of youtube?

Saka

Pro
Daps
we don't need mtv we got the net you old reminiscin ass nikka :win:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man, when MTV, BET, AND VH1 actually covered MUSIC were great times as a fan. You could discover a lot of artists you had never heard of. And if the industry was fukking smart, they'd advocate for a new channel such as this or start one because it helped keep the artists in the fans faces and sell records. Besides the obvious reasons of technology, I think the downfall in quality from BET and MTV helped kill sales across the board.

Remember when the VMA's was worth looking forward to. Kurt, John, Tabatha (the Pac interview after jail), and Serena would bring us informative entertaining music news from every genre (every artist was killing it in the 90s) like a 60 Minutes special.

Teen Summit (Ananda) had mad underground rappers performing on that tiny stage after delivering a positive show to us kids.

Rap City was Godly! Joe Claire and Big Lez went to rapper's hometowns and gave in-depth interviews; making your favorite rappers relatable and down-to-earth.

120 Minutes on MTV introduced you to the all the sick Alternative/Dance/Trip-Hop music.

Vh1 was considered the coffeeshop channel. Alanis, Jewel, and Fiona stayed in heavy rotation.

The Source, Vibe, and Blaze 50 was like the holy grail of magazines for us hood kids.

I missed those days.

aRoMaN21

over 14 years in the shade...
Daps
its because of MTV jams and VH1 classics.
MTV the main channel wont play videos cuz they feel others are doing it for them. that network is a fukking joke.

RhymesWell

All Star
Daps
Remember when the VMA's was worth looking forward to. Kurt, John, Tabatha (the Pac interview after jail), and Serena would bring us informative entertaining music news from every genre (every artist was killing it in the 90s) like a 60 Minutes special.

Teen Summit (Ananda) had mad underground rappers performing on that tiny stage after delivering a positive show to us kids.

Rap City was Godly! Joe Claire and Big Lez went to rapper's hometowns and gave in-depth interviews; making your favorite rappers relatable and down-to-earth.

120 Minutes on MTV introduced you to the all the sick Alternative/Dance/Trip-Hop music.

Vh1 was considered the coffeeshop channel. Alanis, Jewel, and Fiona stayed in heavy rotation.

The Source, Vibe, and Blaze 50 was like the holy grail of magazines for us hood kids.

I missed those days.

Yo you brought me back! haha. The cool thing about all that was, this was before I had any white friends (no disrespect) and the only way I got exposed to other genres of music was through things such as MTV and VH1. Which is why I appreciate all music so much till this day. A lot of youngsters coming up from urban areas are kind of stuck on only urban music nowadays.

And man I really did look at my uncles Source magazines like they were the holy Quran yo. It's a shame to see what has happened to the magazine industry. For like the first 2 years of high school, I was convinced I'd go to college to become a journalist for the Source or XXL before starting my own magazine. lol