Why isn’t twilight princess in the conversation of best zeldas?

Daps
I realized I never purchased Twilight Princess HD (because I just knew Nintendo would release it for Switch) and that thing is $120+ online right now. Never change Nintendo... never change :mjcry:

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
Around the time they dropped the hd remake I decided to play this on emulator. It’s not in the convo for best Zelda game. The wolf sections sucked and the artstlye was booty. shyt was mid but still better than :trash: skyward sword

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Around the time they dropped the hd remake I decided to play this on emulator. It’s not in the convo for best Zelda game. The wolf sections sucked and the artstlye was booty. shyt was mid but still better than :trash: skyward sword

What's your top 5?
I got A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker.
(Haven't played Breath of the Wild... I heard it's fire though.)

100Percent

Deviatin' septums
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
TP is one of my favorites and I've played damn near every single installment of the series since 1997. :yeshrug:

I love the art style. It's like a weird mix of gothic, celtic, anime, little bit of realism. The ugly facial designs were in my opinion pretty clearly done on purpose. Gives the game an uncanny aesthetic that I like. It's not an art style I expect to ever see done that way again. Loved wind waker but you gotta admit since like 2011 every indie game thats ever came out has stolen that style. Souls series are the closest I've seen to a game matching TPs vibe.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I liked it but I never wanted to go back and play it again.
That might be the reason
I can go back and play windwaker and have done so 3 times in my life at this point

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
TP is one of my favorites and I've played damn near every single installment of the series since 1997. :yeshrug:

I love the art style. It's like a weird mix of gothic, celtic, anime, little bit of realism. The ugly facial designs were in my opinion pretty clearly done on purpose. Gives the game an uncanny aesthetic that I like. It's not an art style I expect to ever see done that way again. Loved wind waker but you gotta admit since like 2011 every indie game thats ever came out has stolen that style. Souls series are the closest I've seen to a game matching TPs vibe.
I agree. I think TP is an obvious top Zelda game.

The lore and story, which are great, are served by the best narration a Zelda ever proposed.

There are so many classic moments, dope characters, twists and turns...

The Ghost Cocorico village scene which was straight out of a horror movie... The jits from Link's village getting their coming of age story... The dead Queen Zora and her son... The crazy tale of the war for the triforce... Midna getting hurt... The rivalry with the Moblin Chief...Ganondorf reveal, Zant, the City in the skies... The Yeti couple in the castle on the top of a mountain... :wow:

There was so much shyt, and it also was helped with a unique atmosphere. The twilight setting was a great idea. Gloomy and mysterious most of the times, bright and epic the rest. The color choices and art direction are fire too. Character/monster design, especially for the twili, is clean asf.

Game is stuffed with fun things to do. A whole Western sequence, riding a wild torrent shooting stalagtites with a explosive arrows, playing sumo with Gorons, learning swords moves, horse battles on the huge Hyrule fields ending with a duel to the death against the nemesis on a narrow bridge... :whew:Fighting a giant Goron on fire, a demonic yeti woman with ice powers, a skeleton dragon on a spinning wheel, a nightmare monster deep under water... :whew: And I'm passing so many.

Even the fetching quests are rather entertaining.

Music is fire (Midna's lament is a Zelda classic).

And I liked the wolf segments :hubie: they were woven very well with the story and the atmosphere

Now I'll be the first to admit that the game being too easy hurts it, especially when it comes to combat.

But this game is definitely one of the most solid 3D Zeldas ever.

I'll be honest I think this is might be a generational thing. I hear nothing but good things about TP. People who were expecting to feel the same thing they felt playing Ocarina of Time at a time where the game put its stamp on 3d gaming were obviously in for a disappointment. It's still an excellent follow-up to the game.

Daps
Beaten every major Zelda

This is my ranking top to bottom

Breath of The Wild
Skyward Sword
Twilight Princess
Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
ALBTW
Link’s Awakening
ALTTP

aside from Breath of the wild my expectations for a good Zelda game aren’t necessarily about exploration but more about dungeon quality and puzzles any interesting mechanics.

the games I haven’t finished are Zelda 2 ,
minish cap the oracle games and the DS games

Skyward sword had great one on one combat dungeons and puzzles the time shift mechanics were excellent.

The sailing in everyone’s beloved Windwaker annoyed me it got a little tedious and the dungeons were not as many or as sophisticated as they could have been. That said the combat was smooth the Ganondorf battles was one of the best in the series.

At the time Twilight princess had the right balance of overworld, solid combat I liked getting new attacks from the Knight
and had some very memorable dungeons with great mechanics.

I have Majoras Mask higher because of the story and some solid dungeons like the great bay temple and stone tower temple despite the lack of dungeons.
Ocarina of Time has just the right amount of dungeons and content and created the formula.

I know the game is a classic and set the bar but ALTTP dungeons are more labyrinths with a lot of enemies than having puzzles that test your lateral thinking and the movement is limited so the combat is basic.

Links Awakenings is higher than ALTTP because the dungeons were smarter than a lot of the 3D ones too but I’m not big on the combat of 2D Zeldas.
ALBTW improves the movement and is basically ALTTP with more sophisticated puzzles.

Last edited: