Why is there no new soul calibur?

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:francis:It's niche. I bought Soul 6 on day one cause I know how it goes: multiplayer is going to thrive for 2 months and quickly go to shyt. Tekken 7 on Steam has 3400 players right now vs Soul 6 340. Certain games you either get a local scene or buy it and play the shyt out of until the community dies. Soul series is way up there on the list of excellent fighting games with no longevity. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games eats its audience even though they are very different.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:francis:It's niche. I bought Soul 6 on day one cause I know how it goes: multiplayer is going to thrive for 2 months and quickly go to shyt. Tekken 7 on Steam has 3400 players right now vs Soul 6 340. Certain games you either get a local scene or buy it and play the shyt out of until the community dies. Soul series is way up there on the list of excellent fighting games with no longevity. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games eats its audience even though they are very different.

It needs a bit of modernizing but the core of it is still good.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It needs a bit of modernizing but the core of it is still good.
You have more faith than I do. Fighting games shelf lives are the WOAT if its not a console darling like Smash Brothers. Any game where there is an online component and you start seeing yourself facing the same 10 dudes every day is officially dead. Soul Caliber 3 was the height and Arcades were still at the tail end of relevance. The excitement for those games don't translate to home consoles well. Even worse on PC (making crossplay more important).

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because of tekken mostly. I think people think of SC now and think tekken but with weapons and sadly that isn't gonna cut it *see what I did there

SC is looked at as a second string fighter sadly

Maybe if Bandi didn't do both tekken and SC the series would have a better chance, but truth be told the soul calibur core fan base is and has always been super toxic towards the game, it's like they actively bad mouth everything about them then ride off into the sunset like "Not sure why the community isn't growing"

The soul calibur core base is also super super nerdy, most are older. I remember having to go to college dorms to find comp for Soul calibur 2. :mjcry: And that was the most accepted version of the game.

In a nutshell if you have a fighting game and most of your core fans are white, your game never gonna last too long.:mjlol: