Why don't you see hood film being made anymore?

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
People just got tired of them.....The VAST majority of them joints were awful, none of them brought anything original to the table. They can make a resurgence if someone approaches it from a new angle and puts effort and care into it.
This.

Hood movies are tired. Give me a Marcus Garvey film instead.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
A lot of films don't get made anymore. I'm 30...remember how many "kids growing up/going through drama" movies came out when we were young? Remember all the low budget action films? Remember sneaking a peek at romance flicks that had nudity? None of that shyt is really being made these days. Everything gotta have a 100m budget and be based on some nerd shyt, or a remake, or some other dumb shyt.
:francis:

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Awful answers/logic in this thread and approaching c00nish. The majority of movies in ANY genre are bad and don't make money. War, Romantic Comedies, Sports name it...

A "hood movie" doesn't have to be a Menace remake, it can just be about people...in the hood experiencing things (The Wood, Friday). This is art, folks.

Hollywood has definitely shifted away from low budget/moderate profit films and shifted to mostly blockbusters. Of course black films are the first to get cut

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Awful answers/logic in this thread and approaching c00nish. The majority of movies in ANY genre are bad and don't make money. War, Romantic Comedies, Sports name it...

A "hood movie" doesn't have to be a Menace remake, it can just be about people...in the hood experiencing things (The Wood, Friday). This is art, folks.

Hollywood has definitely shifted away from low budget/moderate profit films and shifted to mostly blockbusters. Of course black films are the first to get cut

A lot of it is cliche now too. Not too much original shyt. Boyz and Menace were damn near the first movies to introduce the perils of the hood to mainstream America. You still got terrible clones of these movies streaming and straight to DVD over 20 years later.

And cacs don't care about it either. :francis:

Like others said, you gotta bring an idea from a different angle if you want a wider audience nowadays.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Well for one thing, gangster rap is not dominant anymore. Things change, hood movies are not on the radar since popular culture has changed. However I can see it making a comeback with the Chicago violence that's happening. Expect a film about that shyt soon. Then again you have these web series out now about drugs, killings etc. Kind of took that spot.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
care to list some recent 'straight to netflix' titles? I wanna see some newer ones.

haven't watched any of em. I like more of the black family joints than the hood joints. Granted a lot of the black family jawns are getting pretty redundant too.

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
to be a hunnit, WE NEVER DEBRIEFED from the Slavery/Civil Rights cycle. Now, we on that HISTORY shyt.
We getting back to who we really are :blessed:

Great Debators
Fences
Hidden Colors series
8AM
Gentrified

:ahh: