"Why dont I pick up the controller as much as I used to?"

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Extremely relevant read for some of us near the :flabbynsick: status

Despite a wider variety than ever before, video games don’t have the same effect on me as they used to. That might not sound like a problem to some of you, but it is to me. I have played video games from the early days of my childhood, starting somewhere around the late ’80s. I became heavily addicted to my Game Boy as a kid, and I can still remember the thrill I felt the day I bought my first PlayStation 22 years ago.

Gaming was like breathing. It was the biggest part of my life as a teenager, one of my priorities as a college student, and eventually one of my most expensive “hobbies” as a young professional.

FURTHER READING
Ars Technica’s best games of 2018

Then all of a sudden, after thousands of hours spent playing across genres and platforms, boredom hit me hard for the very first time in my early thirties. Some of my favorite games soon gave me the impression of being terribly long. I couldn’t help but notice all the repeating tropes and similarities in game design between franchises.

I figured it was just a matter of time before I found the right game to stimulate my interest again, but time continued to go by and nothing changed.

My 41-year-old cousin had dealt with the same thing years before me, and he had a simple explanation: “Now it’s you who has to worry about rent and bills, not your dad.” Deep inside I knew he was right. The more responsibilities, problems, and stress in life, the more we lose our appetite for things that used to entertain us, gaming included. But could there be something more to it than that? Games themselves were also changing. As technology enabled things I wouldn’t have dreamed were possible as a kid, it created entirely new platforms for gaming.

On top of that, as people grow older there are inevitable changes that influence how we see games—including things as simple as needing glasses to actually play the game. The gradual loss of focusing ability for near vision as we age, known as presbyopia, makes gaming on smartphones and portable game consoles a nightmare for older people. Happenings like this help explain why devices such as PS Vitas are created almost exclusively for younger players.

So, are the changes I've been experiencing some kind of fluke or an inevitable process for many? Can you in essence age out of gaming?

Article here Tales of an aging gamer: Why don’t I pick up a controller as often as I used to?

Most interesting part of this article was here for me:
A University of Michigan study within the last decade confirmed that as we age our brain connections break down, slowing our physical response times. But at what age does a person’s reaction time begin to change enough to have a serious effect on gaming skills?

In the Michigan study, scientists measured the response times of adults over age 65 and compared them against those of a group of players ages 18 to 30. Researchers then used a functional MRI to image the blood-oxygen levels in different parts of the brain, a measurement of brain activity. The physical response times between the two age groups was great—there were no significant differences between a thirty-year-old gamer and a teenager. In other words, gamers in their thirties think they can’t keep up with their younger counterparts and lose interest in competitive gaming. It’s psychological rather than the experience of aging.
Thats good info to know. So when my homeboy blames about getting his ass kicked in COD on his age (we both are 30 now) and the younger kids response time, I got proof that hes just trash :mjgrin:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm going to be 30 this year, my gaming taste hasn't changed much as I still get very hype for certain franchises that I started playing as old as 20+ years ago.
I physically don't feel like I'm unable to focus or keep up with the games I play today vs when I played games when I was younger. What has changed is my daily habits concerning other things outside of gaming. I've been much more interested in topics that requires me to read extensively and because of that, I may not game solely as much as I want to, on top of having real life responsibilities that don't enable me to just sit around and game all day.

On a typical day I go to work, get home and I have to then prepare something for me to eat later that night if I go to the gym. I have errands I sometimes run for myself or family. I also have been reading a lot more lately to increase my knowledge and consciousness. I rather pick up a book and read for 30 minutes to an hour rather than sit and just play a game for hours on end. I rather get a dopamine rush from reading something and learning/solidifying my knowledge than solely from getting a nice game in Smash or COD. Plus, I'm awfully sedentary from my day job so sitting down for hours more during my off time isn't too good for your health. All in all i still have the vigor of myself from gaming 10 years ago right now.

Last edited:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
The only thing killing for me is monetization.

I'm a grown ass man and it's not something that I can just pretend isn't there.

I even stopped playing Fortnite because I get the urge to by V-Bucks any time I see a black guy skin. 2K is UNPLAYABLE. Even without VC, The Park is overly competitive--the disrespect is worth a fight. Dude were bytching the week the game came out because I was rated so low. I'll never forget this dikkhead yellin' "PASS!" every time I caught the ball, throwing me completely out of the game. I didn't have my headset in, but, I would've cursed him out if I did.

I can't imagine having a kid that games in this day n age.

Bugs is one thing, but, I've always been cool wanting months to buy a game, I bought Destiny 2, NBA 2k18, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, Overwatch, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn all in the last 3 months.

litty

Pro
Daps
I'm in my mid 20s now and I'm tired off of this generation... though there are a few games I keep in rotation.

I would be more willing to play a greater number of titles more frequently if developers were creating the types of games I would like to play.

...but as I get older I also have more important things to do in real life :smile:

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
These days if i'm not playing siege or csgo. I'm stuck on my indies, pixel games, and other games on the switch

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Honestly, I'm finding that too much choice can be a bad thing. I find myself frozen between choices, then i just decide to watch TV instead :mjlol:

I have to make decisions and choices and shyt all day long...

I come home, I don't want want to think too hard when it comes to my entertainment...

I bought Red Dead Redemption 2, 6-7 weeks ago...I can recognize that's it's one of the greatest games of this generation...but that shyt is too much like life...

I gotta shave B...and repeatedly!?

I'll go back to this Netflix and Chill...

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Honestly, I'm finding that too much choice can be a bad thing. I find myself frozen between choices, then i just decide to watch TV instead :mjlol:
Could have swarm sir Courtdog made a thread about thisvery topic, the locals said it was an Xbox problem. Well now I have Gamepass which = mo money (saved) mo problems (more games to play)

I just turned 60 a few months back...

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
I bought Red Dead Redemption 2, 6-7 weeks ago...I can recognize that's it's one of the greatest games of this generation...but that shyt is too much like life...

I gotta shave B...and repeatedly!?

Right.

I had this game since week 1, and I can't seem to get all the way into it b/c there's too much detail. For busy adults, I just wanna pick up and play. Gimme a little challenge...but shaving, eating, bathing my horse, etc. C'mon b.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
The irony of this is that the same dilemma happens with TV as well.
Nail on the head here too. Almost forgot, golden age of TV isn't without issue:snoop:
Could have swarm sir Courtdog made a thread about thisvery topic, the locals said it was an Xbox problem. Well now I have Gamepass which = mo money (saved) mo problems (more games to play)

I just turned 60 a few months back...
Breh, 60!? But agreed

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
I took a break from gaming mainly because I didn't want to get too emotionally attached to a franchise like I did with Mass Effect. It wasn't until recently I got over it and started gaming again.

I believe a lot of people would still game if there wasn't adult stuff (kids, full-time jobs, wife) that now takes up a majority of their time. For me, I will probably play video games for the rest of my life since I use it as a way to unwind and get away from real life for an hour or two.