Why doesnt the 2005 WWE wrestling boom get any credit?

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Cause 2005 wasn’t very good. The only good thing about 05 was a clear distinction of brands, and even then, you once again had smackdown getting pillaged in the draft. Eugene, HEIDENREICH, Snitsky, JBL’s great character but bad matches and feuds, amongst other things that were just straight up uninteresting.

I will say though, WM 2005 was great, and one of the last ones I remember having legit big matches and actually felt like a true WrestleMania, and not just two matches and a “moment” carrying the card.

dbp

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That era was actually pretty good in retrospect, but a lot of that is viewing it through comparisons of the past 10-12 years.

In 05, we were comparing it to 99-01, and it was a decline for sure. We were spoiled back then :mjcry:

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
That era was actually pretty good in retrospect, but a lot of that is viewing it through comparisons of the past 10-12 years.

In 05, we were comparing it to 99-01, and it was a decline for sure. We were spoiled back then

nah, I was comparing it to other promotions at the time that were kicking the WWE's ass in terms of quality.

also, half of that '99-01 timeframe wasn't particularly great either.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
:deadmanny:"Boom" when outside of Edge fukking Lita and the ECW wankfest, it was easily forgotten and I actually loved the Ruthless Aggression era.

Now "Boom" in the sense of independent wrestling becoming a entity and TNA actually holding it down, then point taken :jbhmm:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
nah, I was comparing it to other promotions at the time that were kicking the WWE's ass in terms of quality.

also, half of that '99-01 timeframe wasn't particularly great either.

There were a couple notable hot feuds from 05, but then there’s stuff from 05 I wouldn’t even put against Bossman’s feuds with Al Snow and Big Show :laff::laff:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
If they booked the product now the way they did back then (minus a few things like Cena's super push), I would still be tuning in every week. :mjlit:

WrestleMania 21 was fantastic. They still cared about treating it like the biggest show of the year back then and didn't complicate it with a bloated, 20-match card over eight hours. :dead:

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
wrestlemania 21 only had like 6 matches.
and it was co-headlined by a JBL match.

I think the sales for the event were high, because this was during the time where cable was officially being converted to digital and the old boxes were being phased out.

when my chip box stopped working and I no longer got free ppvs, I panicked and began to buy a whole bunch of chit that collected dust. the royal rumble and mania 21 dvds are prime examples of chit that I wasted my money on.

not saying it was a bad show tho.
btw, wrestlemania 22 and WWE 2006 were better.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
wrestlemania 21 only had like 6 matches.
and it was co-headlined by a JBL match.

I think the sales for the event were high, because this was during the time where cable was officially being converted to digital and the old boxes were being phased out.

when my chip box stopped working and I no longer got free ppvs, I panicked and began to buy a whole bunch of chit that collected dust. the royal rumble and mania 21 dvds are prime examples of chit that I wasted my money on.

not saying it was a bad show tho.
btw, wrestlemania 22 and WWE 2006 were better.

WM 2005 top matches
OG MITB
Batista vs HHH
Rey vs Eddie
HBK vs Angle
Orton vs Taker

Outside of Foley vs Edge and the shock of Mickie licking her hand from Trish’s cooch, none of those other matches came close to the ones from WM 2005. Neither overall years were great, but 05 was way better than 06.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
WM 2005 top matches
OG MITB
Batista vs HHH
Rey vs Eddie
HBK vs Angle
Orton vs Taker

Outside of Foley vs Edge and the shock of Mickie licking her hand from Trish’s cooch, none of those other matches came close to the ones from WM 2005. Neither overall years were great, but 05 was way better than 06.

orton/taker was just aiirrd,
rey/eddie was a disappointment. to make things worse, they had classics together in WCW a decade prior.

mania 22 wasn't as top-heavy but was a better overall show from top-to-bottom.
they should've gave way more time to that triple threat match tho. it could've been better than anything on mania 21.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
There was no boom.

Ppl got excited when Cena, then an edgy and entertaining character, won the title and came to RAW. It gave us all hope for the next era.

Then he was slowly turned in to a cornball and that excitement quickly died.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
There was no boom.
Ppl got excited when Cena, then an edgy and entertaining character, won the title and came to RAW. It gave us all hope for the next era.
Then he was slowly turned in to a cornball and that excitement quickly died.

cena was always ass.

but then again, i stopped being a sports entertainment guy when I was like 10 years old.