Why does gta do the open world sandbox genre so much better than everyone else?

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
huge budget and can take like a decade to make it...

and they've earned that right since they have sold so much of their GTA games

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nothing to do in GTA V in terms of what and compared to what game that allows you to do a lot in their open world?

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
As much as I love GTA 5, it felt like a step down from San Andreas...

Remember how impressive the first GTA5 trailers were? Had us anticipating San Andreas level customization...

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
As much as I love GTA 5, it felt like a step down from San Andreas...

Remember how impressive the first GTA5 trailers were? Had us anticipating San Andreas level customization...

This.

Remember though that on GTA 5 was technically built for PS3. San Andreas was already their 3rd mainline game on the PS2.

The main reason they do it well is because they have the money and they got it right the first time. Its hard to imagine now just how transformative GTA 3 was for ALL of video games. It took DMA/R* North into the stratosphere. Also the PS2 was lauded for how easy it was to dev for and the PS3 was notorious for how hard it was to dev for...that's a big deal. Its also part of why the library for PS2 is massive and has literally AAA everything.

Personally I think that Red Dead Redemption is a better marker of their talent in sandbox game making because all the systems underneath it have to be more discreet. You used to always see the AI wonk out and drive into a pole or something not load properly and pop in outa nowhere in GTA...I can't remember that Red Dead. Even beyond that, to make something like wilderness still engaging and immersive is a task totally unlike cities. To do BOTH and make them as well as they have is a testament to them being the Osiris of this shyt.

darryl

Superstar
Daps
People might not admit this but go play watch dogs 2 and then GTA v and tell me which one was more LIVELY

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
I hope with GTA 6, they make the map smaller so they can focus on making all the buildings enter-able instead of just expanding the map, but it consisting of mostly buildings you can't go into

Also - skateboards.

They had a fukking vert ramp in GTA V, but still no skateboards.