Why do anime fans make it their entire identity?

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
While I understand what you're saying, I feel like people into anime arent the only ones that do this. Athletes, some of their whole personality is the sport. People who workout, working out can be their whole personality. People with careers, they can make their career their whole personality. Myself and a group of my friends enjoy anime, but aren't weebs. I'm sure you can find a bunch of other people that like anime but you wouldn't know because they don't talk/dress like it 24/7
I think the issue is those hobbies you mentioned are what people view as acceptable. I think its getting better for anime fans because back in the day it used to be people would eye people who are fans of superheroes. Nowadays, being a fan of comicbook characters is okay because its mainstream due to MCU, and it's view as somewhat acceptable making that your personality.

Also, agree with the last part, you're not going to find somebody is a fan of something unless you talk to them because most people aren't open about their hobbies.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I'm in my early 30's and it fukking shocks me how bad actual comic books fell off in comparison to anime.

Kids (especially black kids--bless my little brehs, I love 'em) don't even care, anymore. Go check the Amazon charts; ALL MANGA.
Isn't price a major issue for comic book growth? I remember I used to read them, but they became too expensive and the quality wasn't hitting like it used to. From what I recall manga are much cheaper than comic books. Also, I feel comic books are less accessible in that they're much harder to follow. I think what helps manga you get presented a story and just follow along instead of collecting multiple books due to some of the story being told on a supporting character comic and whatnot.

Anyway, I can see why manga has overtaken comic book due to accessibility

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's just a part of fandom and culture I think. Folks do this with music and everything else too.

Cats wearing the same fashion, talking with the same slang (words like "cap"), changing their accents to match the slang, shyt back in the dang used to throw up the same signs (and they in the suburbs), etc. People literally getting the same tattoos because their favorite singer got them. It's all mantras and connection really.

shyt, look at what these fashion designers make these cats where with a smile on their face :wow: :dame:

If anything, I think the anime fashion ages a lot better than these other fashion trends people blow a lot of money on and look back in embarrassment that they did. Dressing like Dragon Ball or whatever 15 years ago probably ages better than 99% of these fashion trends.
people who OD over sports are way worse than anime brehs. and this is coming from someone who played sports in HS and have brehs that made it to pros and i have i involvement in AAU basketball. :hubie:
This

It's hilarious to me that it's nikkas out here that will criticize anime fans then in the next breath be talking about a game on some "We in the playoffs bruh" when you ain't took a snap or ran a ball ever in your life:mjlol:

I've seen grown men cry or break expensive appliances because their team lost. And I ain't judging, be passionate, but don't then turn around and be like "Anime fans be doin too much" :mjlol:

Everybody's a nerd for something, and that's fine, but a lot of nikkas throwing rocks in glass houses trying to be cool

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
This

It's hilarious to me that it's nikkas out here that will criticize anime fans then in the next breath be talking about a game on some "We in the playoffs bruh" when you ain't took a snap or ran a ball ever in your life:mjlol:

I've seen grown men cry or break expensive appliances because their team lost. And I ain't judging, be passionate, but don't then turn around and be like "Anime fans be doin too much" :mjlol:

Everybody's a nerd for something, and that's fine, but a lot of nikkas throwing rocks in glass houses trying to be cool
muthafukas fightin in the parking lot and shyt :dead:

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
Came in here to say this
Sports fans are far worse
giphy.gif

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug:Almost everyone that feels passionate about something. Always makes that “something” their entire identity. Gym bros, vegans, sports, anime/comic stans, music stans, etc. shyt is annoying but if they’re not hurting anyone let them be. I mean look at this shyt lol.

Last edited:

BBG

2014-2024
Daps
I don't mind nikka nerds doing their thing, it's like whatever breh I guess:manny:

It's the increasing number of fine black women I come across that be DEEP in the shyt wearing Japanese cartoon shirts n shyt. These type of hoes don't even be wanting a cool playa type nikka, if you not current with the One Piece releases she not fukkin wit u like come on now dog come on mane

cmon-mane.gif

I know they think these dudes are more likely to be loyal which is why I pray all of em catch they man cheating with Sakura n shyt FDB

It is a mystery

Tory Lanez Stan
Daps
I don't know anyone who is into anime that doesn't dive INCREDIBLY DEEP into it and go all the way nerd with it...especially black weebs
People who make it their whole identity are extreme outliers. If someone watched and treated anime to a more normal extent, you wouldn't be able to tell:manny:
Only the people who are all in and hardcore about it are obvious just from a glance.

OneDeep

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
As long as you’re not bothering anybody no tea not to be passionate in what you love:yeshrug:

And we know breh wrestling fans are WAY worse :beli: