Why did they have us read Death of a Salesman in high school?

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Lol I don't know how y'all thought those books were "interesting." They really weren't any more introspective than anything else you had read/watched in life. It was just the presentation. It was put on this mantle of being some of the greatest reads ever.

The life lessons and "ether" pale in comparison to, you know, actual life. Yeah, I could read Death of a Salesman, or I could just learn about American history and know how the story would end.

We had to read, Romeo & Juliet (of course), To Kill a Mockingbird, A Raisin in the Sun, Lord of the Flies (great conversation fodder), The Catcher in the Rye (Immensely overrated book in my opinion) amongst others.

I think the only piece I ever read for English that made me go :wow: was "A Modest Proposal." We all skipped the first few lines of the instructions that stated it was satire. So we were all like :laff: fukk this guy is EVIL as fukk. It was my first real lesson in logical fallacy. I never looked back after that. Truly one of the greatest pieces of all time.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it should be inspiration to make something of yourself. too often it ends up a road map for the :flabbynsick:

nah. if schools really gave a rats ass about helping u become financial secure in life, they'd make movies like "the company men" by ben affleck a mandatory movie to watch.

now this is a movie that shows u the harsh reality of life. how the loss of a job can destroy your life. if students are made to watch that, and then after the movie ends, the teacher goes into a long ass lecture detailing why u goto be about ur money, i think a lot of people will be better off in life.

but no, they force u to read retarded books that do nothing, i repeat NOTHING for u.

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
nah. if schools really gave a rats ass about helping u become financial secure in life, they'd make movies like "the company men" by ben affleck a mandatory movie to watch.

now this is a movie that shows u the harsh reality of life. how the loss of a job can destroy your life. if students are made to watch that, and then after the movie ends, the teacher goes into a long ass lecture detailing why u goto be about ur money, i think a lot of people will be better off in life.

but no, they force u to read retarded books that do nothing, i repeat NOTHING for u.

if they REALLY cared they'd have basic tax and finances class. if i ran a school i'd make that mandatory for seniors to take. it makes so much sense to teach young people how to be fiscally responsible, but i guess that why they don't do it cuz fukk your future hopefully you end up broke. now take this art class.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if they REALLY cared they'd have basic tax and finances class. if i ran a school i'd make that mandatory for seniors to take. it makes so much sense to teach young people how to be fiscally responsible, but i guess that why they don't do it cuz fukk your future hopefully you end up broke. now take this art class.

its not in the countrys' best interest to have everyone fiscally responsible. they need dumbasses to continue making dumb purchases that that will take them years to pay off.

i've worked in the real world for quite a while now and i think back to my high school and college days and i just think of how easy life woulda been if these fucckheads at school had forced us to watch videos of the real world, and the consequences of certain actions. instead of making us read some crap called death of a salesman or shakespeare or whatever else it was