Why did they have us read Death of a Salesman in high school?

PabloEscobar

Banned
Daps
IM sitting here looking at my life from an introspective point of view, and im worried/realizing that its possible a nikka might not make it. i thought of willy loman from Death of Salesman...that shyt was mad disappointing brehs...he was like the consumate dreamer with ambition and aspirations only to be :flabbynsick:, broke, and delusional. the nikka ends up taking his own life..what kind of depressing shyt is that for high school aged kids let alone anyone to read. RIP Willy Loman:sadcam:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't remember that shyt,but knowing many of us would go on to be salesman of some sort...death of a salesman sounds deppressing without even knowing the plot:sadbron:...they made us read 1984 in the 90's and I'm pretty sure it came out before 1984:pachaha:...and that book where the kids end up on a island and try to kill each other...and they wonder why the education system is fuked up:snoop:....id rather my kids read the-coli than waste they time reading some of these books....at least they could gain sum real life experiences "See my son this is why you don't date strippers:mjpls:"...and to my daughter "See sweetie if you have more than one man in you per calender year men will think your a ho and not marry you,and u do wanna marry a handsome man who makes 6 figures who can pull models but prefers regular girls instead don't you?"

Real life lessons on here:salute:..no bullshyt I have had more meaningful discussion/important discussions than I had in school majority of the time,that woulda helped me in life more than Spanish 2,physics etc

PabloEscobar

Banned
Daps
The reason Death of a Salesman hit me so hard was because the protagonist was a big dreamer with lofty goals having sought after the finer things of life to not only being a failure but producing sons who would go on not live up to his expectations. For instance right now I should be studying for my french final tomorrow, but instead Ive been up lofting around day dreaming about some dream situation where I want need a college degree and make more money than i could ever make with a B.S. or B.A. That book is the ultimate dream killer:wow:

OPTiMO

SamsoniteMan
Daps
Reppin
From the Bay to Central CA
:patrice: never read that

I was too good at the internet to read the books they assigned in high school, i'd just find the sparknotes... that may have been a bad look in hindsight tho :patrice:

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
DEATH OF A SALESMAN WAS A EQUALIZER. IT LET DREAMERS KNOW THAT SOME DAY YOU GOTTA MAKE shyt HAPPEN.

DREAMS DON'T COME TRUE UNTIL YOU WAKE UP.

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
I thought it was interesting psychologically. Like the Father was so in denial, he thought he was abig shot a with a good reputation, and his sons were big shot reflections of himself. The reality was completely the opposite, and this book illustrated that some people have an undeserved sense of self importance, whether just from denial or chemical imbalance. It reminded me of my assistant football coach, who couldn't stop talking about his high school football days, and who also had major anger issues.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot of standard high school reading borders on finger wagging. Romeo and Juliet, Death of a Salesman, Hamlet. I'm surprised Huck Finn is so widely read. It more or less teaches you to tell them to fukk off. I mean that's a good thing. It's just surprising to me that parents, schools, etc agree with me on that.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought it was interesting psychologically. Like the Father was so in denial, he thought he was abig shot a with a good reputation, and his sons were big shot reflections of himself. The reality was completely the opposite, and this book illustrated that some people have an undeserved sense of self importance, whether just from denial or chemical imbalance. It reminded me of my assistant football coach, who couldn't stop talking about his high school football days, and who also had major anger issues.

I also really like how Willy thinks his brother is going to swoop down and make everything right. Very similar to Scarlet O Hara thinking a man will come rescue her from her terrible life. Samuel Beckett basically ethers them both with Waiting for Godot. Two idiots sitting around waiting for something that is never coming.