Why Did 80's Cartoons Age So Badly?

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
lol @ '90s aging like fine wine... :birdman:

GI Joe, TF and MOTU still put in work to this day. I'll watch that shyt anytime.

- Captain Planet always sucked
- I'll give you Thundercats. Tried watching that a long time ago when Cartoon Network brought back the OG show and I couldn't get into it, despite being a huge fan back in the day.
- TMNT, yeah, that one is kinda lame now. I bought the first two volumes when they were released on DVD and couldn't sit through either one.
- Jem? :whoa: I won't lie though, I used to watch that back in the day because those chicks were hot :lolbron:

Im still waiting to find that COPS cartoon online
You can get it dirt cheap on DVD. The whole series for like $5 or 10. I hated that show but the theme is a classic.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
90s = New Kids, Hammerman and Kid N Play:lolbron:

In all seriousness, the quality of the 90s >>>>>>>>>> 80s, but I would say the 80s stuff was more classic cartoon piff. The 90s was more like a transition to more adult humor once Fox and WB came onboard. I would say 80s weekdays >>>>>>>>>90s, but 90s weekends >>>>>>>>>>>>80s

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
90s = New Kids, Hammerman and Kid N Play:lolbron:

In all seriousness, the quality of the 90s >>>>>>>>>> 80s, but I would say the 80s stuff was more classic cartoon piff. The 90s was more like a transition to more adult humor once Fox and WB came onboard. I would say 80s weekdays >>>>>>>>>90s, but 90s weekends >>>>>>>>>>>>80s

Nah....
Saturday Morning TV Schedules of the 90s vs In The 80s - Saturday Morning TV Schedules of the 80s

And for the weekdays, 80s had the mornings on lock, but I think that Disney lineup from 90-about 94 is damn near untouchable, even though they had the a lot of late 80s cartoons

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
it has to do with how they churned those out back in the day. they weren't gonna hand animate every cell, so they reused stuff, and/or would do that shyt where they would just kinda move big pieces around. I used to hate when you could tell what rock was gonna fall (or whatever) cause it was a slightly different color

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Those cartoons were awful . I took the thundercats season 2 or something from the library , shyt sucked hard. Those old shows reused animation and had some horrible dialogue and writing . I loved those shows when they were on but they aged horribly . Beast wars>>>> classic transformers , tmnt movie >>> old tmnt

Jackson LeRoy Briggs

You think you bad? You ain't bad!
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
shyt..everyone has GI JOE the movie memorized. .Serpentor was gully...the theme song for the movie...Cobra Commander being a big ass snake. Lol
I gotta dap you because you're the first dude I've ever seen give Serpentor his props

Dude was hilarious with his Dr. Doom-style proclamations

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To answer the question directly:

Cartoons back in the 80s were merely 30 min toy commercials with great voice acting. That's sole reason why the cartoons back then like Transformers and GI Joe and others never had a over lasting story line and most episodes were self contained stories. There wasnt a thing called episode arc or continuity. It was just this: look we got the new Rodimus Prime toy, make sure he is featured in this episode fighting our new Galvatron toy. K? Thanks!

And with that said, since you think they suck, how come these :flabbynsick: properties STILL make a ton of money?!? Transformers along with GI Joe wi turn 30 next year. 30 years of them. Eat a dikk if you don't like 80s cartoons
That has nothing to do with the quality of the show though . Nostalgia is a big part of that success . Also we were seeing something different than the typical looney tunes and tom and Jerry bull , these shows opened up our young minds and helped lead to great shows we get now . It's like Star Trek TOS laid the path for great shows like ds9 and the next generation .. It's still revered but its not a better show by any means
fukk outta here

tmnt cartoon is a classic kids cartoon
so is transformers

what do you consider classic 90s kids cartoons ?
The shows all had lasting impacts true but qualitywise they sucked. If you guys can't see what he's saying then :manny: go rewatch seasons of those old shows have you doing the :scusthov:
"I ... wassss once ..... A MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!"
Lol . The movie was better then the show .

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
That has nothing to do with the quality of the show though . Nostalgia is a big part of that success . Also we were seeing something different than the typical looney tunes and tom and Jerry bull , these shows opened up our young minds and helped lead to great shows we get now . It's like Star Trek TOS laid the path for great shows like ds9 and the next generation .. It's still revered but its not a better show by any means

The shows all had lasting impacts true but qualitywise they sucked. If you guys can't see what he's saying then :manny: go rewatch seasons of those old shows have you doing the :scusthov:

Lol . The movie was better then the show .
quality-wise animation-wise ? sure. I dont really care for that though.
in terms of actually being good ? I said TMNT is still great to this day as a kids cartoon, Ive seen a good number of eps recently.

again, TMNT is for kids, not teens.

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
G.I. Joe Seasons 1&2 still the goat of all thou.All the crazy shyt shyt they were talking about like controlling dreams.Remember when Dusty went to the darkside brehs that shyt hurt my soul.Shipwreck caught his ass lookin through those top secret files BAM! right in the kisser! Real nikka shyt.Those episodes would be 2 or 3 parts like a movie.They werent just trying to sell some toys like those other cartoons they had a dope story to go with it.Stands up today better than any old cartoons.

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
Animation-wise, the 70's & 80's were trash compared to the prior decades. Then John K. the GAWD came through & re-revolutionized the game :ahh:

Daps
Someone tell my why when oldheads criticize new shyt they're labeled as haters stuck in their childhood.....yet it's acceptable when the young set shyt on classic stuff :snoop: