Why can't we have a nuanced discussion about "AGENDA" based entertainment?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
@MeachTheMonster

:mindblown:

I have you on ignore for a reason.

You're posts make no sense. And you been trolling hard over this game.
You have me on ignore, but read my posts?

That’s what doesn’t make any sense:mjlol:

Im not trolling anything.

Ask yourself why do we never talk about an “agenda” when it’s a middle aged white guy kicking in doors and shooting brown people?

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
We knew Ellie was gay going on 7 years.

They been talking the "gay" agenda since this trailer dropped in 2018.

What did I spoil?

Yeah we knew about ellie being gay, but i had no clue about a tranny being in the game.

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
I think people put too much emphasis on 'agendas' 100% always being these massive monumental brute force movements of acceptance, when sometimes they aren't. Sometimes its just something that is different than the norm or outside ones comfort zone. It's easy to spot a forced agenda vs. someone telling a story/exploring a kind of character that isn't often told, explored or properly broached. Discernment isn't that difficult of a concept to understand and implement in our daily lives.:manny:

Look at games like Mass Effect. Those games feature LGB romances and cutscenes, but was there some major agenda or movement behind them? IMO, no there wasn't. Modern day art is going to reflect modern day times, and now more than ever, we have people that are openly gay, bisexual, transgender and/or non-binary. I would expect that those stories make it into games in some way, shape or form. Even games like Fire Emblem have same sex romance options now. :manny: They don't shove them down your throat, but they are indeed there without having to try hard to find.

To answer your question more plainly...yes there are agenda's in a lot of entertainment. I believe it's up to us as consumers to determine if the agenda is based on radicalization vs. normalization, and to move accordingly based on what is believed.

In regards to TLOU2 and Abby...
As far as I know, she isn't a transgender, she's just a buff ass woman??? Haven't seen actual confirmation of the trans claims, just the leak source being the a$$holes/trolls who we know them to be.:hubie:

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
Quite frankly agenda based entertainment isn’t really new. Agenda’s have been pushed through entertainment for centuries, whether it be propaganda or civil issues.
exactly, its just now theres a push to normalize it. uma thurman and her kid, dwayne wade, bruce jenner, laverne cox , jayden and willow, malik yoba. even amy klobuschar...clearly a dude. stuff that has been going on already. once it gets pushed to a certain point we're going to find out that half the women we ever saw on tv were actually men...marilyn monroe, for one

people always get triggered when i name certain other people, so ill just share a link with you from the US tennis association website
Transgender Inclusion Policy

Last edited:

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
I think people put too much emphasis on 'agendas' 100% always being these massive monumental brute force movements of acceptance, when sometimes they aren't. Sometimes its just something that is different than the norm or outside ones comfort zone. It's easy to spot a forced agenda vs. someone telling a story/exploring a kind of character that isn't often told, explored or properly broached. Discernment isn't that difficult of a concept to understand and implement in our daily lives.:manny:

Look at games like Mass Effect. Those games feature LGB romances and cutscenes, but was there some major agenda or movement behind them? IMO, no there wasn't. Modern day art is going to reflect modern day times, and now more than ever, we have people that are openly gay, bisexual, transgender and/or non-binary. I would expect that those stories make it into games in some way, shape or form. Even games like Fire Emblem have same sex romance options now. :manny: They don't shove them down your throat, but they are indeed there without having to try hard to find.

To answer your question more plainly...yes there are agenda's in a lot of entertainment. I believe it's up to us as consumers to determine if the agenda is based on radicalization vs. normalization, and to move accordingly based on what is believed.

In regards to TLOU2 and Abby...
As far as I know, she isn't a transgender, she's just a buff ass woman??? Haven't seen actual confirmation of the trans claims, just the leak source being the a$$holes/trolls who we know them to be.:hubie:

I think the problem is people conflating "agenda" with force.

If I made a game with a black female character, there might be an agenda to bring a particular view point to the forefront, there might not.

I've never heard Todd McFarlene explain why he chose his flag ship character to be a black man and frankly, I don't see an agenda behind Spawn--race-wise, maybe in regards to religion.

And pointing out an agenda shouldn't be grounds to call someone hateful. I'm not even arguing against games having agendas. Just; why do ppl deny it so much?

Again, I understand Abby is a woman--but, she's considered non-binary (from what I understand). She's a heterosexual woman who doesn't confirm to the traditional female.

I have zero beef with that--this thread isn't about the plot spoilers.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
sometimes there is no agenda though and it’s just people reading too much into it. Whether it’s there or not is pretty much up to the creator/writer/developer/director. I think the reason why it stood out in endgame is because it wasn’t really organic and felt forced in.
I didn't notice the all female charge until my 3rd viewing...:yeshrug:

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
There is a lot of social engineering in the media. ND really didn't care for it until TLOU. Uncharted had strong female characters, but we've had that for decades so no one cared (ex: Ripley in Aliens and Sarah Connor in Terminator).

Ellie's sexuality is a defining characteristic in her narrative as opposed to being a lead who just happens to be gay; the latter of which is what I see is preferred among LGBT.

She's a full blown teenage mother via surrogate with her bisexual girlfriend. Sodom and Gomorrah shyt smh.

Abby isn't trans, she's just very masculine which I think was a huge misstep by Druckman who is already throwing homophobia and transphobia out there as deflection. Chloe and Nadine were strong leads who didn't look like they were the winners in an Ultimate Surrender movie.