Why can't we have a nuanced discussion about "AGENDA" based entertainment?

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
In short; this is inspired by the reaction to the alledged Last of Us 2 plot details.

I totally admit that there is a lot of homo/trans-phobia involved.

But, one thing that bothers me is the responses of "it doesn't matter" "no one cares."

I do not have a problem playing as a trans or woman or lesbian character--I don't.

But, can we stop pretending there is never any agendas in writing?

They obviously want to move towards normalizing lesbian characters and non-binary (meaning a woman who doesn't look like a traditional woman) characters in entertainment.

It is what it is; I don't think I'll hurt kids anymore than pedophiles who are show-runners for kids shows and sneak adult innuendos into shyt.

I'm not saying LOU2 is trying to make women gay or nonbinary, etc.

But, can we not pretend it's never happened before?

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
It was to my knowledge that the "trans" person in the game was actually a muscle-bound women based off an actual persons body. But idk.

There's agendas with everything, but if you want to see your agenda or "no agenda" then you have to have like minded individuals in the business.

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
It was to my knowledge that the "trans" person in the game was actually a muscle-bound women based off an actual persons body. But idk.

There's agendas with everything, but if you want to see your agenda or "no agenda" then you have to have like minded individuals in the business.

I'm not trying to get in the weeds with Last of Us--I posted non-binary, as in, I understand that's a woman, just not the traditional looking woman.

I think "Everything Has An Agenda" is a cop-out. Some of blow back to people not wanting LGBT characters in games is "It's not a big deal!"

In that, people are trying to say games like The Last of Us don't have an agenda.

That's what this thread is about. Why not just say; Yes, this game/comic/movie was made to normalize LGBT characters is this space and time?

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
I'm not trying to get in the weeds with Last of Us--I posted non-binary, as in, I understand that's a woman, just not the traditional looking woman.

I think "Everything Has An Agenda" is a cop-out. Some of blow back to people not wanting LGBT characters in games is "It's not a big deal!"

In that, people are trying to say games like The Last of Us don't have an agenda.

That's what this thread is about. Why not just say; Yes, this game/comic/movie was made to normalize LGBT characters is this space and time?

Ima keep it a bean. I've never played the first game and I don't have any plans of playing the second game. But I think the agenda is supposed to be 'girls can be just as strong and capable as boys' as well as including sexual orientation because it's another issue going on in the world. They want to show representation. Why they won't admit it? I don't know. Funding maybe?

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Ima keep it a bean. I've never played the first game and I don't have any plans of playing the second game. But I think the agenda is supposed to be 'girls can be just as strong and capable as boys' as well as including sexual orientation because it's another issue going on in the world. They want to show representation. Why they won't admit it? I don't know. Funding maybe?

Quite frankly agenda based entertainment isn’t really a new. Agenda’s have been pushed through entertainment for centuries, whether it be propaganda or civil issues.

That's what I don't get.

Yes, a lot of people who call out agendas are directly against, but, the response too often is "there is no agenda."

Like, Endgame, I barely noticed the Girl Power moment at the end. But, it was there for a reason and people got offended, not just about people who didn't like it, but, people for even pointing it out.

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
That's what I don't get.

Yes, a lot of people who call out agendas are directly against, but, the response too often is "there is no agenda."

Like, Endgame, I barely noticed the Girl Power moment at the end. But, it was there for a reason and people got offended, not just about people who didn't like it, but, people for even pointing it out.

sometimes there is no agenda though and it’s just people reading too much into it. Whether it’s there or not is pretty much up to the creator/writer/developer/director. I think the reason why it stood out in endgame is because it wasn’t really organic and felt forced in.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
No.

There’s no “nuance” in this conversation cause it starts with a false premise.

There’s no “agenda” in putting a character other than a young white male in any game.

All types of stories exist, all of them valid. Only reason this conversation exists is cause cacs feel threatened by the fact that some other types of stories are being told

I say put as many gay, queer, black, female, Mexican, tranny, etc characters as makes sense for your story.

fukk em :manny:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Cause that’s not what it’s about. You made that up.

Gay people exist.

If the apocalypse happens. Gay people will still exist.

It doesn’t make sense for there not to be gay people in the story.

Last edited:

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Between this thread and the other one about the xbox event where the poster mentioned the tranny , the game already got spoiled for me
Yall couldnt have had this convo in the spoilers thread?

We knew Ellie was gay going on 7 years.

They been talking the "gay" agenda since this trailer dropped in 2018.

What did I spoil?