Why Are Smartphones Getting So Expensive?

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
there a ton of cheap smartphones on the market. $200-300 with fast chips, large screens ETC. smart phones are getting cheaper, despite what apple/samsung do with their flagship models
One plus one is still cheap, right? Axon drops 400-500 phones too...run with that. Still should be snappy and nice.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
The reason why smartphones are getting expensive is because they are pretty much all the fukking same...

So in order to convince you to buy these POS...they will invest more and more money to convince you to buy them...

Not actually in the production of the phone...they produce these things for fukking cheap...

So they'll do stupid shyt like making the phone smaller and slimer by removing the removable battery and getting a smaller battery to make it look fukking better to hold in your in your hand...

Instead of one camera now you got fukking 2...

They'll move the location of a fukking speaker...

They'll allow the AI Assistant to be able to understand 1000 languages instead of 500...

All types of inconsequential shyt that ignore has nothing to do with the function of a fukking smartphone which is to call and text and access the internet...

So when they make these changes...which most normal people don't give a fukk about...they gotta convince you to upgrade your perfectly fine phone...

If they told you..."Oh we just removed the battery and moved the speaker from the top right to top left...and added one more camera..." You wouldn't give a fukk...

But they'll go make commercials and air them during the NFL game...or right before American Horror Story...that shyt costs money...

They'll have giant events to showcase how fukking the same all their phones and consumer electronics are...that shyt costs money...

They'll buy stupid annoying pop ads...everytime you go on WIRED...that shyt costs money...

And guess who pays for all that shyt...YOU DO...when you go buy a fukking phone that has a speaker moved from the top right to the top left and it can fit into your pocket easier...

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Where doesn't that disconnect exist tho? What product is sold at the cost to produce it? There are choices, u don't have to spend $1000 on a phone there are devices more than capable of handling what most people do on a daily basis for half the cost. There will be a mark up for name brands like Apple but that's just the nature of the beast.
An iPhone 8+ 64GB cost 36% of what the selling price is. The retailer is probably taking very thin margins on the remaining 64%. I'd be surprised if it were more than 4-5%. Granted Apple rolls some of those profits back into R&D but there's still probably 60% of the selling price coming back to Apple.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
I bought my Axon 7 for under $300.
  • 2K OLED screen
  • Fast 820 Snapdragon processor
  • GOAT level front facing speakers and audio output
  • SD Card slot
  • Decent camera
  • Upgradable to Oreo
People spend crazy amounts for phones either because they can or they want to stand out. But you can get some great shyt for way less these days.

ORDER_66

Demon Time coming 2024
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Nikkas always want to keep up with the joneses... My phone doesnt even have all that crazy shyt... :mindblown: Why y'all wasting your money?!?

Are y'all really gonna fall for the hype??? :dahell:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I bought my Axon 7 for under $300.
  • 2K OLED screen
  • Fast 820 Snapdragon processor
  • GOAT level front facing speakers and audio output
  • SD Card slot
  • Decent camera
  • Upgradable to Oreo
People spend crazy amounts for phones either because they can or they want to stand out. But you can get some great shyt for way less these days.
All this is true except for the camera. Anything but bright light pics is gonna be a blurry mess. Shutter speed sucks ass on that phone. Its truly a GOAT value tho

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
All this is true except for the camera. Anything but bright light pics is gonna be a blurry mess. Shutter speed sucks ass on that phone. Its truly a GOAT value tho
Only reason I got this one over V20 or a 2018 model is I use the carmera so little but everything else was right for the price. :pachaha:

gtj1982

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
America's Darkside--210
Its too bad they dont let people upgrade and modify phones. I remember fixing my old LG's screen and when I opened it up I saw that everything is just a single snap on. So lot of people say they buy a new phone because of the camera. But if you open it up...the camera is just a small ass lego piece that could easily be replaced/upgraded.

Some company tried to do this. Seemed pretty dope but the phone was ugly. You know people are superficial.