Who is the greatest black actor of all time?

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
Denzel. Just want to give Fishburne his props too. Didn't see him mentioned

edit: Somebody did

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Disagree with actress. No way has Viola eclipsed Angela Bassett. I can't see Viola doing Tina Turner. I dont even know can Viola carry a movie by herself so I cant put her as the goat. Shes mostly been supporting. But I can see Angela doing any of Viola roles.

But I agree with Denzel followed by Sam Jack

Depreciating Asset

Please pawg responsibly
Daps
Reppin
Other
giphy.gif

h2o_proof

Thread Closed...As Usual
Daps
Reppin
Houston
For female I always liked Alfre Woodard, plus that's where Angela Bassett and Viola Davis got their whole steez from anyway :manny:

For the male counterpart...Denzel has the it factor and believability, Eddie is so damn dynamic, Forrest is just a natural and makes you forget that he's Forrest, but I honestly think Jamie Foxx is a singular once in a lifetime talent that we probably won't truly appreciate until he's gone.

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Idris is the prototypical glass half full/half empty career actor.

On one hand, everything about dude is A-list as far as acting, charisma, screen presence and having the "look" . Add to that he's been in a slew of big budget/popular movies, comic movies, Disney movies, etc. So with that perspective, he's had a great career.

On the other hand, he could never get the damn roles where he could actually propel himself as an actual A-list/mainstream lead. The Dark Tower is essentially being his first real chance after about a decade + of side roles. Typically it be stuff like his Prometheus role or that viking shyt in Thor. Pretty much him just making the best out of a limited situation. You'd have to turn to his Luther stuff or his independent/netflix movies to really see him shine.

He had a real break-out chance 5-6 years ago with the Alex Cross film but the director/studio head infamously booted him last minute to give the role to Tyler Perry, claiming you can't pass up on big budget guys like "Will Smith and Tyler Perry..." :why: suffice to say, the movie flopped. Granted i heard the movie was so trash that maybe he actually dodge a bullet there.