Who is George Santos? He claims to have degrees from Baruch & NYU but nobody knows him. Update: He’s officially been ousted from congress

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Another one. What a piece of shyt.

Goddamn. Trump inspired straight con artists to run for office on Republican tickets.

The many stories of Andy Ogles — claims that he's "an economist, a former member of law enforcement, worked in international sex crimes, specifically child trafficking" — may remind some of a certain Disney character.

For example, the résumé claims Ogles was executive vice president of something called E.Net Media & Consulting.

Among his alleged accomplishments: evaluating the management structure of Merrill Lynch, saving the company "up to $30 million annually."

That consulting job that he listed on that 2009 resume is nowhere to be found these days on his LinkedIn profile.

While Ogles has tried to downplay the controversy, NewsChannel 5 Investigates also noticed on that resume that he claimed to have served four years on the "board of directors" for the city of Franklin — despite the fact that Franklin doesn't have a board of directors.

Ogles’ résumé "suggests that he was a savvy business consultant and investor with a number of board memberships," the Post's Glenn Kessler wrote.

"But even as he was supposedly saving Merrill Lynch millions of dollars through his consulting work, he was also briefly a stockbroker there and co-owned a doughnut shop. He also exaggerates or invents his service on various boards."

And after NewsChannel 5 dug up his college transcript,the political newsletter The Tennessee Journal noticed that, in a 2001 Tennessean article about Ogles' restaurant business, the future congressman claimed he was "a student of German, Russian and Japanese languages" who had once "planned for a career in international business."

Ogles' college transcript shows he took just one semester of foreign language, elementary Japanese, during his entire time in college.

The Post says it reached out to Ogles' office for comment on its findings and, just like we've encountered, the Post says it never got a response.

Among the findings: the freshman Republican is a self-proclaimed economist who, it turns out, only took one community college Economics course, which he barely passed. And it reveals that he still hasn't been telling the truth about his college degree.

His congressional bio says Ogles graduated from Middle Tennessee State University, "where he studied policy and economics."

Yet, our investigation dug up a 2009 resume where he listed a degree in International Relations — not Economics — minoring in Psychology and English.

That transcript, submitted by Ogles with a job application more than a decade ago, shows his major wasn't in economics nor international relations, but in Liberal Studies -- a type of degree generally for those who can't settle on a major.

And contrary to Ogles' claims, the transcript shows he enrolled in just one economics class — a community college Principles of Economics course — where he got a "C."

However, in an apparently preemptive move, Ogles released a statement Sunday night to a conservative website, The Tennessee Star, in which he claimed he just learned that his degree was in Liberal Studies after requesting his official transcript.

"When I pulled my transcript to verify, I realized I was mistaken," Ogles said in a statement. "I apologize for my misstatement."

The talk radio host pointed to Ogles' biography on the political website, Ballotpedia.

"Now, Ballotpedia says that Andy Ogles ... received a B.S. in International Relations from MTSU and went to Vanderbilt University's Owen Graduate School of Management, as well as Dartmouth College's Tuck School of Business," Mandis noted.

But then-candidate Ogles hesitated last year when asked about his educational credentials at a GOP candidates forum.

"He's also an Owen school of business graduate, right?" the moderator asked Ogles.

"Executive education, yes, ma'am," he quietly replied.

The truth, we discovered, is that Ogles received certificates for participating in non-degree classes at Vanderbilt and Dartmouth.

The types of courses that Andy Ogles took at Vanderbilt and Dartmouth are called executive education. They're designed to help people with their careers and to generate revenue for the universities.

Dartmouth tells NewsChannel 5 Investigates that their online classes were produced with an outside vendor.

Ogles got a certificate in marketing, for which Dartmouth's web page in 2008 listed six courses, each of which could be completed in "two to three hours."

Those questions are on top of Ogles' claims to be a former member of law enforcement.

In fact, our investigation found Ogles was sworn in as a volunteer reserve deputy with the Williamson County Sheriff's Office in July 2009. Records show he lost that position two years later for not meeting minimum standards, making no progress in field training and failure to attend required meetings.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
During far-right Republican Andy Ogles' successful campaign for Congress last fall, he advertised himself as a successful entrepreneur and real estate investor, a tax policy expert, and the former leader of an international nonprofit rescuing sex trafficking victims.

Ogles' business experience seems to be limited to owning two restaurants, a short-lived travel agency, and becoming licensed as an insurance agent. His real estate investments appear limited to a few adjacent parcels of land, including one he lives on, in rural Tennessee, and he reported no rental income from his properties Insider found.

Ogles did some work in 2011 for Abolition International, a non-profit founded by gospel artist Natalie Grant.

His congressional website claims Ogles, as chief operating officer, was responsible for "overseeing operations and investments in 12 countries."

"I began working volunteering my time," Ogles said on Washington Watch. "Then I ended up becoming chief operating officer. It was just one of those I didn't really intend to set out to be so heavily involved in the fight against human trafficking. It just kinda occurred."

In fact, the group's tax returns show Ogles held a part-time position that paid him a grand total of $4,000.

Ogles' supposed experience rescuing sex trafficking victims helped propel him into national headlines in his first week in Congress. But his representations about that work are vastly overstated, according to public records and a former manager at an anti-trafficking nonprofit where Ogles worked.

In reality, he was a lackluster fundraiser for a small Nashville nonprofit and a volunteer sheriff's deputy who was let go for skipping training.

Ogles said on a podcast from the lobbying firm Ballard Partners in January. "That offends me, and as someone who has worked in that space, who has seen the horrors of human trafficking, I am fed up and sick and tired of the excuses."

Ogles appears to have been referencing his work with Abolition International, a small Nashville nonprofit founded by gospel music singer Natalie Grant. His congressional website says that Ogles felt "the call to serve his community" and became "the COO of Abolition International, overseeing operations and investments in 12 countries to fight human trafficking."

"I went into the law enforcement lane for a period of time, and from there I went into the international sex crimes and ran global operations," Ogles said on the Ballard Partners podcast.

Ogles worked there for a year in 2011, according to his LinkedIn profile. But his role in the organization was minimal, and the group's work had nothing to do with the US-Mexico border, said a former Abolition International manager, who asked not to be named for privacy reasons. This person's identity is known to Insider.

Abolition International hired Ogles to help with marketing and to fundraise while two of the organization's leaders were on maternity leave, the former manager said, recalling that he was not particularly successful at bringing in new sources of revenue.

"He was always talking about how much money he was going to be able to raise for us, and it never happened," the former Abolition International manager said. Tax filings show Abolition International raised less than $200,000 in the year Ogles was on staff.

At the time Ogles was involved with Abolition International, the organization was much smaller than he later claimed. Although it did eventually grow into an organization with partnerships in 12 countries, when Ogles worked there it primarily made grants to a handful of safe houses in India, Moldova and the U.S., in addition to supporting an internship program in Greece, the former manager said.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
b2jRTMu.png