White Women enslavers/slaveholders profited as much as White men, according to a new book.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Equal-Opportunity Evil
A new history reveals that for female slaveholders, the business of human exploitation was just as profitable—and brutal—as it was for men.

By REBECCA ONION

FEB 14, 20195:38 PM
Wye House, a historic plantation house in rural Talbot County, Maryland.
Historic American Buildings Survey/Wikimedia Commons
Human Interest[/paste:font]
  1. Dear Care and Feeding: My Teen Daughter Is Dating Her Friend Who Practically Lives With Us
  2. My Kids With Autism Were the Pickiest Eaters on the Planet. Then This Show Changed Everything.
  3. Ask a Teacher: Is It OK to Make a Teacher Request?
  4. My Boyfriend Is, Uh, Huge. How Can I Make This Work … Physically?
Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers opens her stunning new book, They Were Her Property: White Women as Slave Owners in the American South, with a story about Martha Gibbs, a sawmill owner in Mississippi who also owned “a significant number of slaves.” One of them, Litt Young, described her owner as a woman in total control of her financial affairs, including the management of her enslaved workers. Young remembered, for example, how Gibbs’ second husband tried and failed to convince her to stop ordering her overseer to administer “brutal whippings.” After the Confederates surrendered, Gibbs “refugeed:” She took some of her enslaved workers to Texas, at gunpoint, and forced them to labor for her until 1866—“one year after these legally free but still enslaved people ‘made her first crop.’ ” Then, writes Jones-Rogers, “Martha Gibbs finally let them go.”

Early books about female slaveholders, written in the 1970s and 1980s by historians of women’s experiences, tended to be about elite, wealthy Southerners who fell into that role when their husbands or fathers died. The women in these histories were depicted as having had a conflicted relationship with their role as slaveowner, and some historians posited that these plantation mistresses themselves were restricted and oppressed by the patriarchal society of the Old South. In this telling of history, the women who owned people didn’t directly involve themselves with the day-to-day management of enslaved workers, and certainly not with the selling and buying of the enslaved.

It’s these assumptions about female slaveowning as a kind of passive, half-hearted practice that Jones-Rogers is challenging with her book—and with them, the idea that white women were innocent bystanders to the white male practice of enslavement. Her goal, she told me in a phone interview, was to paint a picture of the way white women economically benefited from their own slaveholding. For some women, slaveholding helped them attract husbands. Within their marriages, a woman like Martha Gibbs who owned enslaved people might retain a measure of independence by maintaining control of “her” slaves. And if those husbands died, or turned out to be failures at business, their wives figured out ways to retain the human property that would ensure their continued material security.

Jones-Rogers began this shift in historical perspective by looking away from letters and diaries of elite white women that formed the documentary basis for earlier histories, and toward the testimony of the people who had been in bondage. Looking at life narratives of formerly enslaved people recorded during the Great Depression by the Works Progress Administration(Litt Young’s was one of these), Jones-Rogers found multiple instances of these witnesses naming the women who owned them—not simply as “mistresses” but as owners, with everything that entailed. She found stories of times when these women “reinforced their property claims in conversations with or in the presence of their slaves” and “challenged their male kinfolks’ alleged power to control their property, human or otherwise.”

Examining other kinds of records, Jones-Rogers found female slave-owners all over the archive of American slavery: female authors of the advertisements placed in newspapers when enslaved people ran away, identifying themselves as the runaways’ owners; women awarded compensation for the deaths of enslaved people who had been executed or sold away after being found guilty of fomenting insurrection; women compensated by cities who hired enslaved workers for public works projects. Married women, who under the legal doctrine of coverturewere not commonly allowed to hold property once they had husbands, petitioned courts to gain economic rights to the enslaved people they had owned before marriage—and judges often agreed with their pleas.

The stories from WPA narratives show that from the perspective of the enslaved, female slaveholders weren’t much different from their male counterparts. Many of them were just as physically cruel as men, and they didn’t hesitate to make decisions to “sell away” enslaved people or their relatives. Stories of women who whipped enslaved people with nettleweed or fed enslaved children spoiled meat, and an entire heartbreaking chapter about the practice of separating enslaved women from their infants so that they could act as wet nurses for their mistresses’ offspring, make it clear that Southern women who owned people weren’t kind “mothers” making the best of a bad situation. “If we look carefully at slave-owning women’s management styles, we find that these differed little from those used by slaveholding men—and they rarely treated enslaved people as their children,” Jones-Rogers writes.

“When we find out women can be just as vicious and atrocious, it’s very disillusioning. Because who else is left?”— Stephanie Jones-Rogers
“I was thinking about the chapter about wet-nursing in relationship to Trump’s policies on separating women from their children,” Jones-Rogers said. “I saw an interview with this white couple in Texas, a part of Texas that was close to the border. And they asked the woman, how would you feel if these were your children? And she essentially said, ‘These wouldn’t be my children.’ ” The woman who forced WPA interviewee T.W. Cotton’s mother to breastfeed her own infant, leaving infant Cotton to be fed “animal milk or pap from a bottle, a dangerous practice that many physicians strongly discouraged at the time,” as Jones-Rogers writes, probably didn’t view this rupture as emotionally or physically difficult for the mother or the son. “When these women separated enslaved mothers from their children, they aren’t seeing themselves in that situation,” Jones-Rogers said. “They’re seeing themselves as vastly different from these women, and they’re seeing their relationships to their children as starkly different from their own.”

To some (let’s be honest, probably mostly white) people, the fact that white women have the capacity to inflict violence and to cruelly manipulate the lives of others—to be what Jones-Rogers, in our conversation, called “evil and dastardly”—is an eternal revelation. That’s why we still get curious, “look at this weird phenomenon” articles about white women at Unite the Right, or within the alt-right movement. Or why we need to be reminded again and again that white women gleefully attended lynchings, flocked in the thousands to form auxiliaries for the Ku Klux Klan, and avidly protested school integration in the South and the North. This history of slave-owning women’s economic relationship to slavery, Jones-Rogers says, should “remove the surprise.” “If you think about the value, the importance of whiteness in their lives, being a source of power, being a source of empowerment and emboldenment, then throughout history these little things make sense,” she said. “Women can hold their own when it comes to violence.”

Perhaps it’s a particularly American tic to want to believe in white women’s innocence in the cruelty of American history. Jones-Rogers reports that when she would present her work to scholars in Europe, they’d be unsurprised at its contents. “There was this kind of consensus among them that women could do these things. But when I talked to American historians, and American scholars, they were saying—‘What??? Wow!’ ”

While writing her book, Jones-Rogers read Hitler’s Furies, Wendy Lower’s history about Nazi women’s participation in genocide on the Eastern Front during World War II. “One of the arguments Lower makes is, the reason why we may be shocked is, we hold onto this hope that at least one half of humanity still has some good in it,” Jones-Rogers says. “We need some part of humanity to have this inherent, natural empathy. When we find out women can be just as vicious and atrocious, it’s very disillusioning. Because who else is left?”

Slate’s Use of Your Data

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Co-conspirators: Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers’ new book on female slave owners

In March 1846, Elizabeth Humphyville, who ran a boardinghouse in Mobile, Ala., placed an advertisement in the Pensacola (Fla.) Gazette, offering a $50 reward for the capture and return of her slave, Ann. The bondwoman had run away or possibly had been stolen by Elizabeth’s husband who, she noted, “pretends is … her owner.” Elizabeth cautioned the public “not to trade for her as the titles to [Ann rested] in me alone.”

Humphyville’s determination to capture Ann, and her relationship with her husband, is one of many telling stories in Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers’ deeply researched, fast-paced first book, “They Were Her Property.” Jones-Rogers, who teaches at UC Berkeley, uncovers how throughout the antebellum period, married white women consistently asserted their rights to own, control and dispose black slaves as chattel property without their husbands’ interference. Her excellent book underscores the degree to which these women supported the enslavement of black persons because they held a “direct economic investment in slavery and their pecuniary interest in perpetuating it.”

Jones-Rogers also alters our understanding of slaveholding households. Historians have long recognized that some white women, usually wealthy single or widowed women, owned slaves, but could not be “true” masters. Rather, they supervised plantation household operations and functioned at best as what historian Kirsten E. Wood has termed “fictive masters.” “They could be ‘masterful.’ But they did not possess the strength of power to make a servile class submit to their will.”

64570569_DATEBOOK_books0224-property-1024x809.jpg

An advertisement for Ann, a runaway slave, from the Pensacola Gazette, March 8, 1846.Photo: Nineteenth-Century U.S. Newspapers database , Cengage / Gale
Drawing heavily on former-slave oral history interviews conducted in the 1930s by the Federal Writers Project of the Work Progress Administration, Jones-Rogers documents how white women hired, purchased, disciplined, managed and sold enslaved people, including separating children from their parents, across the Old South. She argues that slave-owning women exercised all the rights that slave-owning men possessed — including what former bondman Charles W. dikkens termed doing their “own bossing.”

Female slave owners acquired their slaves as gifts and from bequests; they also procured them from slave traders and at auctions, including so-called “ladies auctions.” Women brought slaves with them into marriages and, when necessary, took “extra steps to secure their separate ownership and management of enslaved people, processes that were not required of men.” “For them,” Jones-Rogers writes, “slavery was their freedom. They created freedom for themselves by actively emerging and investing in the economy of slavery and keeping African Americans in captivity.”

64570603_DATEBOOK_books0224-property-1024x463.jpg

An advertisement for the private sale of an enslaved wet nurse, Charleston Mercury, June 7, 1856.Photo: Nineteenth-Century U.S. Newspapers database , Cengage / Gale
Jones-Rogers thus challenges long-standing assumptions about the patriarchal order of 19th century Southern white households and the laws that bolstered them. Her evidence suggests that “married white women contended with husbands, male employees, community members, and officials about their ownership of slaves, as well as about how much control such men could exercise over their property and who else would be afforded the privilege of doing so.”

She insists that slave-owning women were no more “maternalistic” in their treatment of bond-people than slave-owning men were “paternalistic.” Female slaveholders were sophisticated economic actors, full participants in and beneficiaries from the Old South’s capitalistic marketplace. Jones-Rogers contends that slave-owning women’s slave management style differed little from that of slaveholding men’s — “and they rarely treated enslaved people like their children.” “Sometimes they were more effective at slave management or they used more brutal methods of discipline than their husbands did.”

64583215_DATEBOOK_books0224-property-668x1024.jpg

Southern women chat with a black person during a 1930s re-creation of pre-Civil War life on a plantation.Photo: Michael Ochs Archives, Getty Images
In their oral history interviews, ex-slaves documented how slave-owning women were intimately aware of every detail of the South’s “peculiar institution.” They conducted business with slave dealers and hiring agents, oversaw overseers and participated “in economic activities that historians of slavery have either overlooked or alleged never happened. Time and again, with their slaves not far from hearing, white slave-owning women articulated their wish to remain invested in slavery and pass their financial legacies on to their children.”

Jones-Rogers pays special attention to the relationship between white slaveholding women, especially mothers and female slaves. They regularly sought out and obtained enslaved wet nurses to suckle their children, “creating a demand for the intimate labor that such nurses performed in southern homes.” Wet nurses “were crucial to the further commodification of enslaved women’s reproductive bodies, through the appropriation of their breast milk and the nutritive and maternal care they provided to white children.” In her opinion, “the demand among slave-owning women for enslaved wet nurses transformed the ability to suckle into a skilled form of labor, and created a largely invisible niche sector of the slave market that catered exclusively to white women.”

64570489_DATEBOOK_books0224-property1-683x1024.jpg

Stephanie E. Jones-RogersPhoto: Lily Cummings
In 1865, as the Confederacy collapsed around them, white slaveholding women lamented the loss of their property and their civilization built atop white supremacy. Virginian Lucy Rebecca Buck spoke for many white Southerners when she complained, “Our dearest hopes [are] dashed — our fondest dreams [are] dispelled.” Jones-Rogers explains: “With slavery gone, and the bulk of their wealth along with it, slave-owning women found their material and social circumstances profoundly altered.” North Carolina diarist Ella Gertrude Clanton Thomas summarized their fate: “The fact is our negroes are to be made free and a change, a very [great] change will be affected in our mode of living.” According to ex-slave Rhody Holsell, former slave-owning women found emancipation objectionable because “dey could not whip de slaves any longer.”

Jones-Rogers concludes that their investment, both figurative and literal, in antebellum slavery suggests why white women eagerly embraced the postwar South’s inimical system of Jim Crow segregation and its accompanying racial violence. “Southern white women’s roles in upholding and sustaining slavery form part of the much larger history of white supremacy and oppression,” she adds. “And through it all, they were not passive bystanders.” Southern ladies stood by their men. “They were co-conspirators.”

They Were Her Property
White Women as Slave Owners in the American South
Stephanie E. Jones-Rogers
(Yale University Press; 296 pages; $30)

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The transatlantic slave trade began during the reign of queen Isabela of modern day Spain.

===========================================================================
Also, the description of the book doesn't mention it but I'd imagine that seeing the mixed race children around the plantations would add to the cold brutality of these women. Children that were obviously their husband's.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Of course. The whole feminist movement is born out of the creation of "white women innocence", which positions them as victims of patriarchy and thus allows them to escape criticism from slavery and colonialism. But they were at worst actively participating in it, at least benefiting from it. The whole move to present issues strictly about gender identity implies that women are the same everywhere and suffer from the same oppresion : that's "liberal" or "mainstream" feminism, because you focus on individual identities instead of structural long-term racist structures. I've even had a mixed chick tel me that she identifies more with white women than with black men, because "the white women suffers exactly like I do" smh. White women are women yes, but white first and foremost. When you listen to decolonial/anti-racist feminists (who obviously, more often than not, are non white) they understand perfectly that mainstream feminism is used to absolve white women of any wrongdoing in history by portraying them as the absolute victim. Which is utter bs obviously. And it's also used to pursue the same western-centric hegemony, but by using "progressive" ideas.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Of course. The whole feminist movement is born out of the creation of "white women innocence", which positions them as victims of patriarchy and thus allows them to escape criticism from slavery and colonialism. But they were at worst actively participating in it, at least benefiting from it. The whole move to present issues strictly about gender identity implies that women are the same everywhere and suffer from the same oppresion : that's "liberal" or "mainstream" feminism, because you focus on individual identities instead of structural long-term racist structures. I've even had a mixed chick tel me that she identifies more with white women than with black men, because "the white women suffers exactly like I do" smh. White women are women yes, but white first and foremost. When you listen to decolonial/anti-racist feminists (who obviously, more often than not, are non white) they understand perfectly that mainstream feminism is used to absolve white women of any wrongdoing in history by portraying them as the absolute victim. Which is utter bs obviously. And it's also used to pursue the same western-centric hegemony, but by using "progressive" ideas.

I totally agree.

I can admit when I was a child - I thought of them as innocent (in regards to slavery) and didn't have anything to do with the enslavement of our ancestors. Based off of televised movies and books that always presented them as bystanders who didn't have anything to do with it.

When I got to college - I finally started hearing the real stories -- and then a couple of years ago - I really got into history - and I found out how demonic they were.

These white women were extremely violent and brutal to men, women and child -- young and elderly.

There were many White women ran and owned plantations -- but we rarely hear stories about them.

I think if Black men and Black women knew the truth about White women -- they would back off of them -- and see them for who they are --and who they come from.

You can find stories for day in many first hand witness accounts and narratives.

Theodore Dwight Weld, 1803-1895. American Slavery As It Is: Testimony of a Thousand Witnesses.