Where did the term "thirsty" come from?

Cheercomp

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It probably just blew up recently in certain areas. In NYC "thirsty" been big FOREVER. Where are you from?

It's been in use for awhile, but even in NYC, it wasn't this huge. EVERY SINGLE PERSON is saying the shyt now :deadhorse:. I remember in college (02 - 07) we would say "thirst" when someone sounded extra amped about doing/going out the way for chicks, etc. Now "thirsty" is thrown on everything and has ruined the art of flirting. It now applies to anything that a woman doesn't like.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
It's been in use for awhile, but even in NYC, it wasn't this huge. EVERY SINGLE PERSON is saying the shyt now :deadhorse:. I remember in college (02 - 07) we would say "thirst" when someone sounded extra amped about doing/going out the way for chicks, etc. Now "thirsty" is thrown on everything and has ruined the art of flirting. It now applies to anything that a woman doesn't like.

I recall different breh. EVERYBODY was using "thirst" and "thirsty" in my hood in the mid 90's. nikkas was using "thirsty" EVERYTIME a nikka holla'd at a broad, and vice versa. It's no bigger today than it was then. The thing is today you have dikkriding artists that take a word they believe is hot and throw it on everything and it gets amplified because of the accessibility of music today as opposed to the 90's.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I agree with the OP. Not the Coli but I just seen it popular culture. It hasn't been as frequently used until the last 3 years. If it has, can yall give some song example from the 90's-00's of rapper using it. Because maybe it's a regional thing.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I agree with the OP. Not the Coli but I just seen it popular culture. It hasn't been as frequently used until the last 3 years. If it has, can yall give some song example from the 90's-00's of rapper using it. Because maybe it's a regional thing.

Rappers weren't using it in songs. It was just one of those hood terms that everybody used frequently. You ask anybody from anyhood NYC, over 25, and they will tell you that cats have been using that term frequently since forever.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Rappers weren't using it in songs. It was just one of those hood terms that everybody used frequently. You ask anybody from anyhood NYC, over 25, and they will tell you that cats have been using that term frequently since forever.

Well, then it's probably more of a regional thing then.

Shammago

By Any Means
Daps
Reppin
Sun rises in the East
The first time I heard thirsty was when i was a little kid and I ran out of apple juice and water after running around and playing outside on a hot summer day someone whom i don't remember had has asked me if I was "thirsty"

RedBull

All Star
Daps
Reppin
On KRS One's nose, eating sunflower seeds.
because we all know when you were in high school :stopitslime:

i wanna say "thirsty" started out in the greater LA area cause i remember usin that term about 6 or so years ago. i remember goin outta town and callin a bytch thirsty n all the people i was with were dyin cause they thought i just made it up on the spot. thought the term fit perfectly to the situation.

i let em believe i did :skip:

6 years ago?:russ:

Came from the 80's brother.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been hearing it since like the early 00's and it was probably used way before that.

I actually haven't really hear it as much recently.