When's The Last Time You Heard a Timeless Song?

Hathaway

Someday, We'll All Be Free
Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
Timeless meaning a classic. Played for generations to come. Legendary. MJ, Prince, Marvin, Stevie, Luther, Whitney type shyt. Pac, Hov, BIG, Nas type shyt. Be honest. When is the last time you heard a song from any of these new nikkas and said "this song will be played for lifetimes"?

My intent is not to bash the current landscape of music. I think we do that enough. I want to diagnose the why behind it all. It's not purely nostalgia. No, it's more than that. I'm tapped into the contemporary music scene. I've checked out SiR, HER, Ari, SZA, Lucky Daye, Victoria Monet, Yebba, Summer, Coco, Normani. I'm even tapped into underground R&B: Ellie Eliades, Christian Kuria, Masego, Alex Isley, Tiana Major9, etc.

These are great artists. Talented. Gifted. Well out of that crop, I'd say only HER, Yebba & Victoria Monet are truly gifted. The others are great though. But none have truly seperated themselves from the pack as being generation defining talent. None have a classic song, let alone a classic album. I mean, HER & Daniel Ceasars Best Part is beautiful but I'm not quite sure if it's "timeless". Victoria's On my Mama was a hit but is it a "classic"?

Idk maybe my standards are too high. But when I compare today to the heavy hitters of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s, I'm dumbfounded why the drop in quality has been so drastic. I can't really blame record companies anymore because nikkas can blow up just from their own social media presence alone. You don't need a huge marketing machine behind you anymore to make waves. Maybe consumers just don't value true artistry anymore or they dont know how to recognize it.

Hathaway

Someday, We'll All Be Free
Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
Honestly…

Miguel Adorn is the most recent song that I’ve heard that I think will play forever
Actually, I've heard this album mentioned a few times on here. It never captured me as timeless, but It was a good album, I think his 2nd best after his debut. But you won't hear it on the radio. You won't hear the masses playing it. You won't see it on any top 100 lists. That's what I'm talking about. None of these albums from the last 25 years will make any waves commercially or culturally Why?

TheBeesOneFourThree

. . . & On
Daps
kendrick just dropped 4 like in the past 2 months crodie

a56.gif

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
OP

Your avi and username are inspired by the late Donny Hathaway. So saying that your standards for music are high is an understatement.

Modern singers face an uphill battle measuring up to classic music from that genre.