when our parents were our age...

sm0ke

Lin Kuei
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
first step is to quit bytchin and man up

once you've turned your bagina into a dingus, get to work on yourself and your future

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Turning 27
When my folks were 27 they had my sister and I, bought their first house and had a car.

Now housing priced avg over 500k in the gta :(

King Theo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
smh my dad was talking about how he owned 3 cars when he was in his mid 20's all at once. i llook at him like :dwillhuh:

If i had 3 cars right now i would be absolutely killing it. Next time this nikka complains about something im gonna bring that up.

*only has 1 car and lives at home* :snoop:

King Theo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
SMH this straight ruined my morning as i sit at work wishing i had a better job.:noah:

i've got to make some major moves in the upcoming months

Kalik

Rasta in Babylon
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Florida / Bahamas
We live longer.. so our childhood is longer.

Died at 63, man with responsibilities at 21 = 1/3 ya life

Now You die at 90, become a man with responsibilities at 30 = 1/3 ya life

Time is irrelevant, its just perception. Enjoy ya 20's nikkas

============

If you died at 30 and 30 is all you know, thats a lifetime, if you died at 100, its a lifetime, its personal perception of time.

Get on this inception shyt... good weed did it to me. Break out the Matrix

Trip

slippery slope
Daps
Reppin
FL
People were a lot more frugal back then...peopl got married earlier, had kids earlier etc.

Saving money is a lost art.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
another problem is that cars and cribs cost less than what people made in a year. for instance say like in the 80's my pops made like 30K a year, but then again, u could get a crib for that amount. shyt was easier. now fast foward to 2012 where a crib might cost 150K and nikkas is making 50k a year. so the house to income ratio is 3:1 where it used to be 1:1.

Economics

There is always tradeoffs
Daps

That gen were :smugdraper: back then

Inflation isn't good for the middle to lower classes contrary to what the media and some economists may tell you (esp since these same people are in upper brackets that benefit from the newly created money first). The boomers fed off the wealth given to them by their parents and grandparents and had more purchasing power to purchase those things even when inflation was high in the 70s and early 80s. That shows as you all also stated just how much the standards of living (in real terms) has changed for this new generation.

There are structural problems with the U.S. and global economy that must be addressed and unless they are it won't get better any better and these issues will continue down this path. The bills coming due and its falling on this generation to pay it. :snoop: