When It Rains, It Pours - "Perfect Dark" Dev Has Hit "Road Bumps"

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
This is probably MS biggest mistake of the current gen. They tried to emulate what sony did last gen, but you can't do that without having a healthy lineup of games that prove the wait is going to be worth it. MS actually has the opposite of that with there 1st party games...

Everything they have hyped up 1st party wise has been lukewarm to a dud. Crackdown, recore, state of decay, ryse, bleeding edge... the list goes on and on. Regardless how much I like or enjoyed some of those games or the niche small crowd of folks that really liked them ( well some of them lol) the hype that they got put behind them has always fallen short of the product. Especially when put next to sony and nintendo 1st party titles.

And for the crowd of people who are mostly single player gamer's the reason for them to buy a system is based on their 1st party games. MS has failed over and over there. That is also the loudest group on the internet and social media, you even see that here on this forum. When there isn't a 1st party PS game for them to play the forums on fire trolling and talking about everything but games.

Anyway MS needs to go back to how they tackled things in the 360 day and the way sony won with the PS1. Getting 3rd party exclusives locked on your system. That way you don't have stans and fans breathing down your next for every little morsel of detail on 1st party games, bad or good.
All that truth and you still stan the hardest for them. Cognitive dissonance is a motherfukker.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
If it wasn’t for Halo, I wouldn’t own an XSX. That shyt collecting dust. I just recently downloaded Fortnite on PS5 instead of playing it on XSX. No reason to even boot that shyt up anymore. Microsoft ain’t been on since 360. Just been a long downhill for them. Everytime I start having some hope they let me down.

Daps
Xbox had great games. Xbox 360 had great games. What the hell happened to the Xbox division?:dwillhuh:

The Xbox division also needs to be headed by a gamer, not some old greedy cac in a suit. It's like nobody know what they're doing.
At one point, it looked like Xbox had cracked the code. It was 2007-2008: They had Crackdown, Halo 3, Forza Motorsport 2 from their studios. They got BioShock as a third-party exclusive (like Sony does regularly today with Final Fantasy). They also were able to publish a bunch of good smaller games like Alien Hominid HD and Aegis Wing, and were on the front foot when it came to getting and promoting quality indies.

I don't know what happened, but it's like as soon as 2009 hit, Xbox division fell off completely. Part of the problem is Bungie moving on and 343i being a garbage developer. They basically have taken Halo, a premiere IP in the '00s, and made it a mediocre IP with minimal hype. But the other part of the problem is that they can't get anything published in-house except for Forza and the occasional mid Halo game that falls off the radar almost immediately.

This is a dev that was consistently publishing games of all types in the OG Xbox era, many of which were great (Halo: CE and Halo 2, Top Spin Tennis, Forza, PGR, OutRun 2, Mech Assault, Jade Empire, etc.). There is no reason for this sort of fall off.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
At one point, it looked like Xbox had cracked the code. It was 2007-2008: They had Crackdown, Halo 3, Forza Motorsport 2 from their studios. They got BioShock as a third-party exclusive (like Sony does regularly today with Final Fantasy). They also were able to publish a bunch of good smaller games like Alien Hominid HD and Aegis Wing, and were on the front foot when it came to getting and promoting quality indies.

I don't know what happened, but it's like as soon as 2009 hit, Xbox division fell off completely. Part of the problem is Bungie moving on and 343i being a garbage developer. They basically have taken Halo, a premiere IP in the '00s, and made it a mediocre IP with minimal hype. But the other part of the problem is that they can't get anything published in-house except for Forza and the occasional mid Halo game that falls off the radar almost immediately.

This is a dev that was consistently publishing games of all types in the OG Xbox era, many of which were great (Halo: CE and Halo 2, Top Spin Tennis, Forza, PGR, OutRun 2, Mech Assault, Jade Empire, etc.). There is no reason for this sort of fall off.

The problem is they didn’t know how to capitalize and grow their early success. Instead of continuing to do halo and gears, they could have had epic do something else, and they could have let Bungie do Destiny. That would have been a proper evolution of that success.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Xbox had great games. Xbox 360 had great games. What the hell happened to the Xbox division?:dwillhuh:

The Xbox division also needs to be headed by a gamer, not some old greedy cac in a suit. It's like nobody know what they're doing.
It seems like Microsoft has a very hands off approach to game development where they just throw money at their studios and hope for the best. Those studios probably waste time fukking around with different ideas thinking they had a blank check from microsoft, and end up with very little to show after years of development.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It seems like Microsoft has a very hands off approach to game development where they just throw money at their studios and hope for the best. Those studios probably waste time fukking around with different ideas thinking they had a blank check from microsoft, and end up with very little to show after years of development.

Basically the same problem that plagued Japan Studios. Sony mostly left them alone and they would just start a bunch of projects and make no real progress on them due to lack of good leadership.

The strategy works when you got a naughty dog, insomniac, Mojang, etc. but some of these other studios especially new ones need a much shorter leash