When did the Shape Up Start(spin-off)

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
Can't speak for nobody else but when I go in...

Lineup=Hairline
Shapeup=Style/shape/etc=Haircut style...

If a breh says "Line me up" he don't get a haircut, they just make sure his hairline on point... But the places I go don't even say shape up, it's just haircut... :manny:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Good topic.
People saying the 80s? please stop it.
Not sure when it was popularized but probably started with Black men in the military. Having to get regulation haircuts and then coming back home and maintaining them.

It wasn't flat tops that popularized shape ups..but 360 waves and ceasars.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
:russ:

But it started with Nas, who made it widespread to the mainstream. Back then, people went to the shop once per month, now, its at least 2 to 3 times per month since that artificial line ups damn near became official.

nikkas getting lined 2 to 3 times a month and wonder why their hairlines fukked

10:31

Superstar
Daps
nikkas getting lined 2 to 3 times a month and wonder why their hairlines fukked

Man game is all fukked up now

They got hair follicles and Beijing to enhance something they keep tweaking and pushing backwards...

So now you know your shyt is trending backward but the barber still trying to sharpen and use enhancements to make you feel better about your shyt for 24-48 hrs

:mindblown:

I’m like, got damn.. I came to get a hair cut not to have my face done on some makeup shyt...

King Jae

Banned
Daps
Man game is all fukked up now

They got hair follicles and Beijing to enhance something they keep tweaking and pushing backwards...

So now you know your shyt is trending backward but the barber still trying to sharpen and use enhancements to make you feel better about your shyt for 24-48 hrs

:mindblown:

I’m like, got damn.. I came to get a hair cut not to have my face done on some makeup shyt...
What are these follicles u speak of:jbhmm:... Not familiar with that type of sorcery..

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
:russ:

But it started with Nas, who made it widespread to the mainstream. Back then, people went to the shop once per month, now, its at least 2 to 3 times per month since that artificial line ups damn near became official.
Nah, breh, it definitely did not start with Nas.

My big brother - RIP - has his crew photos where they are all in adidas track suits in the mid 80s and they had fresh shape-ups - line was crisp.

To the bolded, yea, I get my shape up at least 3x a month. I need my line fresh. I am medium to light skin so if I don't shape it up after a week, you start to see the little hairs growing back near my hairline and I hate that look.

Personal Example:

My barber is jamaican breh in Flatbush and he charges 12 for the shape-up.

I know I should just get clippers and trust myself but... I'm not trying to make that mistake and call off work "sick" for a week while my shyt grows back after I zeek myself. :whoa:

Also - can we kill the myth that a lot of shape-ups per month WILL push your hairline back.

That shyt is genetic, brehs. If your hairline is destined to fall back... it will.

Daps
I noticed on the fresh Prince of Bel air will & Carlton had no line up, but bout time they hit the last couple of seasons they had fresh crispy lineups.

I don't think crispy line ups caught on fully until '95.

Louisville Slugz

Superstar
Daps
EGMQJmu.png