When and why did black kids get into anime?

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Back in the mid 90's when anime started creeping into American tv I got into it not even knowing it was anime. Thundercats and Swat Kats were both directed in an anime style, from there Gundam Wing came in on Adult Swim and it was a wrap for me. These young cats dont know the struggle of having to go to an anime shop to check out new shyt and if it was whack you were out $10 for a video tape you had to try and sell it to a random dumbass in school :snoop:

Anime today is so scattered with different genres its regoddamndiculous, its impossible to keep up with new shyt. I just stick to the bigger AAA titles these days since its so main stream. Nerds/geeks aint got shyt for themselves anymore, miss those days :dame:
Hell yeah. I had to catch the movies on Sci Fi channel back in the day. It was a struggle because I had no idea it was a huge thing in Japan.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
It's cool looking.
That's all there is to it.
Based off my experience with anime back in the 90's, when I saw shyt like Fist of the North Star and DBZ, that shyt put Ninja Turtles and SwatKats on the back burner 'cause it just seemed so violent and bad ass. It was a medium that appeared to not give an American fukk about censorship, decency and just showed dudes kicking the shyt out of each other which appealed to me.

The art style was different and interesting and alot of the shows/movies (Akira and Vampire Hunter D are two I remember fondly) just had some cool ass themes that made me want to get knee deep into the shyts since I was burnt out on American Cartoons at that point. If it weren't for Cartoon Network airing Adult Swim which introduced me to Cowboy Bebop as well as Home Movies, I might have been on the Bleach/Naruto Wave (Prolly note, I disliked Trigun and all that over the top shyt around that time and loved Cowboy Bebop and Jin Roh) Plus Adult Swim started that weird wave of Cartoons with dark/absurd humour that cut it's own lane that I follow...shyt like Squidbillies, ATHF, The Brak Show, Space Ghost Coast to Coast etc, Misadventures of Flapjack. shyt like that made me not look twice at trying to get back into anime at all save for some of them cutesy girl slice of life shyts I started to watch 'cause of this one girl and her younger sisters. (Kiniro Mosiac, Baby Please Kill me, BottleFaeries, K-On etc..)

SupaHotIce

All Star
Daps
Man I use to feel like a straight :queen: *pause*:dame: waking up super early and watching sailor moon coming up. Its was like...if anyone ever found out I watch this show...:bustback:

:mjlol::mjlol:

Hum's theme
whistling_smiley_by_broni123.gif

Fighting evil by moonlight~♪♪

:wrist:

Supreme HD

Superstar
Daps
Escapism. Grew up poor and in a gang ridden area. Didn't want to go that route, got into anime and manga to avoid doing shyt like gangbangin and fukking around. Was tired of seeing police busting through doors for drug raids, gangs fighting each other in the streets, reading someone got killed etc. Needed to escape all that shyt.

Daps
Toonami and Studio Ghibli's movies changed my life. It's one of the main reasons why I'm going to become an Animator and start my own Animation Studio.

Anime had violence and as a kid I enjoyed that.

Plus they had plot lines with multiple genres fused in unlike American cartoons which are mainly comedy.

Also Anime didn't treat me like a retard like most American cartoons ( I.e Disney )

Last edited:

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
I always loved cartoons growing up. It started early for me with Special delivery on Nickelodeon. Grimm's Fairy Tales "hey come along and join the fun..."

Then Ronin Warriors was dope as hell. My dad used to know I was excited about the action and he'd wake me up early to watch cartoons. Then came Dragonball, dragonball z, and my first anime movie Akira. I always liked more adult themed books and shows even when I was in grade school. Hell I read Lord of the Rings when I was in the 5th grade and Kama sutra in middle school. When I saw Ninja Scroll I knew I was hooked.
I even got my homegirls hooked for a little bit but they grew up and I didn't lol! Luckily all my boyfriends have had similar interests so when my homegirls would roll their eyes at me for flaking on club night for Adult Swim, I didn't feel so bad about it!

Come on now man! Sweaty smelly obnoxious dudes, painful heels, music I don't listen to, boredom VS good food, dope shows and conversation about great themes in different anime...

Ain't no choice.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They were fun cartoons to watch. I never really saw them as "anime' growing up as they were all cartoons to me.

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
Watching Toonami back in the day. DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, etc. Main thing I love and what drew me in is the fact that anime is fun as fukk!

There so much creatively and variety in the different shows too.

The subject matter is so diverse there's an anime for damn near any interest you have or want to get into.

Mecha, Sports, Crime, Adventure, Mystery, Music, War, Martial Arts, Fantasy, Comedies, Horror, Action, Romance, Magic and Supernatural, Sci-Fi., Drama, etc.

Anybody can find something they like, there's so much stuff to choose from.