What's y'all PS2 Launch stories?

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I remember my ps2 having this issue but my mom wouldn't take it back because she thought we fukked it up.

Eventually my brother figured out that it would only read CD based games while standing vertically and DVD based games worked either way.
I got the ps2 and tekken tag tournament. Had a basically trap house (weed only but a bunch of essas would hang and they sniffed a lot) and I'd go there about 10 deep to blaze and hang. Everyone anticipating me getting back with the game/system. And just like how y'all get at me on here with the jokes? They was way too smug that it wouldn't work. like I'm still salty :russ:

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
They had a demo for the ps2 at circuit city two months before launch. It was dynasty warrriors, and once I tried it, i knew i had to have it.

I was 15 when it came out in 2000. I didn't even know about preorders then. But i camped out with my two best friends 2 hours before circuit city opened. Was able to get 1 and copped dynasty warriors and madden 01. Never gonna forget that day. Instead of going home right away, me and my friends decided to go play mini golf that was nearby. We were playing the course and carrying around that blue box :lolbron: (didnt have a car. Was still team public transportation/city bus gang).

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
Its pretty close as far as scarity and hype.

Preorders weren't even possible in my area.

I stood in line for 10 hours at Walmart to secure mine on day one :wow:

Luckily my parents were cool and let me leave school a little early(I was a senior in HS) and i got in line at 2pm.

20 years later and im experiencing the same glory with my PS5 :mjcry:

detach

Banned
Daps
Reppin
OHIO
Got the 360 at launch and got rrod. I don't buy at launch anymore

Last edited:

capblk

Rookie
Daps
For the PS2 launch I was in HS and working at a gaming store. From my POV, the PS2 hype was insane from gamers. The Dreamcast launched with a great lineup up games and was pretty much totally overlooked. I would hear things along the lines of "The Dreamcast is good but I'm waiting for the PS2." pretty much daily.

The biggest draw seemed to be the DVD player, which was the cheapest DVD player at the time. DVDs exploded in popularity around that time as well. The store could not keep them in stock for long and I remember having a wait list.

We also did repairs and most of the consoles seemed to be from that first wave of consoles, it's the main reason I always wait before I buy since companies tend to quietly upgrade internals and fix bugs as time goes on.

Apollo Kid

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Boom Bap Era
Copped at midnight at Best Buy. Placed the console vertically and scratched my copy of SSX :francis: and eventually the disc tray never opened a few months after I copped.

I learned never to cop a console on release day

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
me: " Mom can you please get me a Ps2, it even has a dvd player. You can watch the matrix!" :krs: :smugfarve:

Moms: " Im not buying you any more game consoles, we just got a brand new Dell computer, play games on that" :stopitslime:

Me: *Searches yahoo how to play ps2 games on Dell XPS computer* :patrice::ehh:

Me: *Later on... gives up and buys a brand new dream cast for cheap* :wow: :blessed:

Me: *One year later...sells Dreamcast and combines money with bday money for used Ps2 with no games* :camby: :yeshrug:

Tanahashi Coates

Superstar
Daps
fukking terrible. Our store could barely fulfill preorders before Christmas. We had to tell them "we do not have ps2" when answering calls and they'd immediately hang up:russ:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I got it for christmas either launch year or the year after it launched I can't remember. I remember me and my dad playing Gauntlet on it for months.

It wasn't until either DBZ Budokai or Kingdom Hearts 1 when I fell in love with the PS2, whichever came first. Those 2 games made me a console gamer. I was playing my GBC more than my PS2 because of Pokemon.

Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
I had a mediocre Christmas but was still grateful. Pops hit me us with the "Ya'll ready for yall real present? I went through hell and back to get this, ya'll better share and take care of it".

:gladbron:

Had Madden 02 and Tekken Tag Team.

Once the Network Adapter came out, it was Madden 03 and Socom 2 online all day :wow:...

Until my siblings picked up the phone :mjcry:

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
Didn't have one at launch. Like most kids, I got one on Christmas. Still remember that day vividily.

Kingdom Hearts & GTA 3. :wow:
Lakers vs Kings. :wow:

Jblaze204

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uptown NY
My boy took me to Chinatown, NYC to cop the ps2 slim modded. I'll never forget that day. That system was beautiful.

I lent it to a "friend" with a stack of burned games and he deaded me on it -- i was tight but i didn't mind as much because I stopped gaming and started to get into other things but now that I'm back into gaming in my 30's I'm sick.:francis::to:

Jone2three45

Supporter
Daps
I wanted a Sega Dreamcast,
I got a PS2 instead on Christmas of it’s launch year.

Though grateful, years later I still wanted a Sega Dreamcast.

My PS2 had issues playing some games on DVD discs.

Playing NBA Jam, Capcom VS. SNK 2, MGS2, Vice City, and San Andreas was an experience on the PS2! Best single player experience.

Wanted a Nintendo GameCube, ended up with an OG Xbox.

The OG Xbox technically is the better system over the PS2. OG Xbox live = best multiplayer experience ever.

Ironically Sega Dreamcast and Nintendo GameCube games are expensive and rarer nowadays. While the other systems games do not evenly hold the same value.

I enjoy the Sega Dreamcast more nowadays.

Last edited: