What's y'all PS2 Launch stories?

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
All I remember was getting a ps2 for Christmas one year.

360 was the first console I bought with my own money. It was kinda hard to find and I had to send it back to Microsoft twice, sold it and bought a ps3.

I think the wii launch the closest to what's happening with the ps5. It was hard to find a wii for an entire year.
:yeshrug:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I was too young to remember that shyt :hamster:

was the PS2 launch crazier than what's going with the PS5 now?:flabbynsick:
No because you could go to stores and buy them. Launch day I went to Target a few hours early and got a PS2 easy. This console generation was a disaster in preorders and how to buy them all being online only and all these sites crashing under the traffic.

Smokin Rider

I been official
Daps
Reppin
Seattle SuperChronic
PS3 was the fist console I bought with my own money. PS4 I got like a week after launch, wanted to flip it but there was much more available unlike Ps5. PS5 was the only 1 I ever got launch day

FcKuPaYmE

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
I was a jit. My ol girl got it for me. Not at launch though.

Last edited:

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
:mjgrin:i actually hated myself for getting the PS2 cause i blamed it (initially) for the dreamcast's demise.
i ended up loving the console though.
i've been a sega man my whole gaming life (:mjcry:), so i felt like i was betraying sega (yeah, i know).

but i had to face reality, sega was done and i had to make a choice between playstation2 and nintendo gamecube

playstation launch was good as far as availability of hardware and software over here in namibia.
the launch itself as far as the Quality of games available is another story (:huhldup::huhldup:)

hardware and software was available everywhere. the price was ridiculous though, like everything sony. i bought it anyway.
being an early adopter for some reason meant something to me at the time.
:manny:i give the launch a c+.

Last edited:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I was too young to remember that shyt :hamster:

was the PS2 launch crazier than what's going with the PS5 now?:flabbynsick:
Well take a seat because I love telling this story. 4 kajillion times crazier. And have seen nothing like it since. I was working at funcoland which later was bought out by gamestop. The Xbox 360 RROD paled in comparison to the ps2's DRE (disc read error) and getting a warranty for a console wasn't the accepted norm. The ps1 was the first disc based system and cartridge based systems fail less. The PS2 is what taught console gamers a warranty is a must because launch day systems at my store failed at like a 50% rate. We literally had returns piled to the ceiling double stacked. I didn't get a warranty... and my launch day system was a dud, wouldn't play DVD based games only CD. For other ppl it wouldn't play the cd based games but would play dvd :hula: and only because I worked at funcoland was I able to freak another system (by jacking a system from a customer..I think he was pre-order #49 :mjlit:)
because I didn't have a warranty I would have had to send it to Sony and at this time they couldn't supply enough preorders. So the people with duds was told they'd get there's after they fulfill preorders. And that shyt took like a month or so. It was terrible. But the worst part about all that? Sony knew the problem existed and a Sony rep who would come to the store told us they had no plans to do anything about it :francis: And that's when I took my services to Xbox.

A ps2 sold for $20,000 on eBay, SOLD :dame:
Now that's my insider American view, but shenanigans was happening worldwide according to this article...
PlayStation: A History

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
PS2. I lucked out. :wow:

I used to work at Target as a my first job. I had already quit but my old supervisor, this cool Hispanic lady, still worked there. The day before PS2 came out, she told me they were in the back stockroom and if I wanted one i could give her the money & she would purchase it and put it aside for me, and then I'd come back tomorrow morning and pick it up when the store opened.

So that's what I did, next day, I show up... Line of ppl outside with sleeping bags etc.:ooh:

I walk right in, go to electronics, get my PS2 from her, receipt stapled to the box ready to roll. Walk right out past everyone still standing in line. :whew:

Watching my back too, got in the car asap lol

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
They were Tickle Me Elmo status. I only got one that Xmas because my friend’s mom found 2 at a store, bought them, then called my parents.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don’t remember the general hype for it but me and my cousin were super-hyped for it with the announcement of GTA III

...for me it was probably the announcement of GTA III

...a couple years before GTA III...my cousin and I rented GTA2 (PS) on a whim...think it was a rent 2 get 1 extra deal at blockbuster...picked up 2 games which ironically I can’t remember and said fukk it and picked up GTA 2 cuz the cover looked interesting...eventually we started playing it and was initially disappointed it was a 2D game with a bird’s eye view but ended up playing the shyt all night and thought the game would be next level if they made a 3D version

...ffwd to the announcement of GTA III...called dude up and reminded him about GTA2 and told him they were making a sequel for the PS2...we both ended up getting PS2s that day in anticipation of the game lol

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
didn't get a warranty... and my launch day system was a dud, wouldn't play DVD based games only CD. For other ppl it wouldn't play the cd based games but would play dvd :hula:
I remember my ps2 having this issue but my mom wouldn't take it back because she thought we fukked it up.

Eventually my brother figured out that it would only read CD based games while standing vertically and DVD based games worked either way.