What's more expensive? Being Natural or Rocking weaves and perms?

miranda

Banned
Supporter
Daps
natural hair is cheap once you get through the experimental finding what works stage. it just takes SOOOOOOO much time and effort if you like wearing your hair out/down.

never had weave, havent had a perm since 94. i know good quality hair for weave can be reused. perm is cheap unless you go to the shop every 2 weeks

Queen

CEO of #GPB
Daps
Reppin
Truth and logic
It depends on your routine. My hair routine was very expensive when I was getting relaxers. Now it is not because I do my own hair and I rarely buy products. If I didn't do my own hair, then it could be just as expensive as relaxers.

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
natural hair is cheap once you get through the experimental finding what works stage. it just takes SOOOOOOO much time and effort if you like wearing your hair out/down.

never had weave, havent had a perm since 94. i know good quality hair for weave can be reused. perm is cheap unless you go to the shop every 2 weeks
You ain't never lied. :mjcry:

Sassy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Since I'm permed and haven't converted to the natural hair life yet...I'm gonna say weaves are expensive. You have to buy the hair, plus pay someone to put it in PLUS the products, not to mention the upkeep. With perm, If you put it in by yourself, it's real cheap like $5 from some the stores I go to. hair products wise, it depends. I buy only one type of product (it has heat protectant, no mineral oils, etc.) and I buy conditioner (I don't wash my hair with shampoo) and I also buy it in bulk. So it lasts me a while.

I also don't go to salon's as I am very picky of who does my hair and some hair stylists are careless when it comes to their client's hair. Horror stories don't help either lmao.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.
Daps
Reppin
Dona Nobis Pacem
I go to my hairdresser for a relaxer twice a year $60 each time. In between I use cheap azz 85 cent shampoo and $1.99 conditioner. And my hair is pretty long. By the time I get a relaxer I might as well be going natural. In the summer I wear my hair curly in the winter blow dry/flat iron. I'm low maintenance as a muhfucca

.༼-◕_◕-༽.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.
Daps
Reppin
Dona Nobis Pacem

A lot of these so called "natural" products are regular ingredients repackaged and resold for way more money.

Check the ingredients, because a lot of that stuff can be purchased more cheaply.

I hate that people are exploiting the natural movement.

VFib

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Me, myself and I
I've never worn a weave.

Being natural was more expensive for me than being relaxed.

Being relaxed, anything worked in my hair. I barely put any work into it. It was easy to care for.

Being natural, I actually had to figure what what products and routine worked for me. What works in the summer doesn't work in the winter. I have never spent so much time on my hair. Now, I think I'm finally getting it right, so I'm sticking to what works and refuse to spend more money than I have to.

Last edited:
Daps
I would say weave
I've never had it but I have a co worker who's always complaining that her daughters ordering hair, hair costing like $400, her friend not doing the hair well enough so it can last more than a couple of months
shyt just seems exhausting

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
:leostare: Growing an afro or dreads is completely free.
:smugfavre: Just get a bottle of shea moisture ($3) and a bar or two of organic black soap ($7) and you should be good.
:patrice:But I'm a dude and never really understood the whole natural hair vs weave/perm debate.
:jbhmm: One seems cost efficient, healthy, normal and offer prettier results. While the other damage hair, suffocates the scalp, more expensive and very time consuming.
:manny: But either way it comes down to how she feels and what look she wants to achieve.

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
Never done weave but natural hair can get expensive real quick when you first start out and unleash your inner product junkie.

However now that I'm trying the water only washing, it's cheap as hell.....maybe not on the water bill but hardly use any product. Co-wash a couple of time a week if that but just daily water washing in the shower, massage, detangle. Freedom, hardly any frizz, moisturised hair that retains its natural oils.

Give it a go, keep going until the oil has moved to the ends of your hair then decide if it's for you or not.

Going to do an ACV rinse this weekend but I'm over the whole shampoo thing, with or without sulphate.

RoyalQ

I'm a woman.
Daps
Its expensive if your a product junkie that likes to constantly buy the latest. Its cheap if you stick to what works. Only one of my products are kinda expensive. My deep conditioner is $20 a tube and i only get two uses out of it:mjcry:. I wish i never tried it. My bougie ass hair latched on to it like a golddigger to a rich man. But it makes my hair so soft :ohlawd: