What would happen if I...

Akata Man Bromo

Still learning....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dade/Broward
Mainly did low weight a lot of times/reps with every exercise for 4 days a week in the gym :patrice: This heavy lifting shyt is for the birds :camby:

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Does it matter if Im already skinny I wouldnt get ripped up?
Well, depends on what you look like now. If you lose body fat percentage and you are already skinny, you are going to look like a muscular starving Ethiopian dude.
You can still get some gains through medium-heavy weights.
Really, you don't want to do all your workouts with low weights and high reps. You can cut out high weight, low rep workouts. But, you will want to shock your muscles by changing things up between medium resistance and low resistance weight workouts.

WuDatWuDat

All Star
Daps
You would still be staying in shape. You would lose some muscle mass, not a lot. But, you wouldn't be gaining any mass.

Not true. If your calorie intake is larger than what you burn and you're eating a solid amount of protein, carbs and fats, you're still going to gain muscle going lighter with weight. You can also lift heavy af and lose muscle if your diet is shyt. The best example I can think of of someone gaining muscle while going lighter with weight is 50 Cent. He was interviewed about how much he could bench once and he said he does hypertrophy and just does lighter reps for higher weight and that he doesn't have time to be in the gym for a long time each day doing heavier weight with longer breaks in between.

get-fit-like-50-deadlift.jpg

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Not true. If your calorie intake is larger than what you burn and you're eating a solid amount of protein, carbs and fats, you're still going to gain muscle going lighter with weight. You can also lift heavy af and lose muscle if your diet is shyt. The best example I can think of of someone gaining muscle while going lighter with weight is 50 Cent. He was interviewed about how much he could bench once and he said he does hypertrophy and just does lighter reps for higher weight and that he doesn't have time to be in the gym for a long time each day doing heavier weight with longer breaks in between.

get-fit-like-50-deadlift.jpg
Eating right is a big part of gaining muscle. I don't disagree with you on that.
But muscle mass is actually caused by the micro tears in the muscle fibers while working out and then the healing of those tears. If you are only lifting a certain amount of weight where these tears aren't occurring, then you aren't going to get the same mass gains.
You can do 50 push-ups and be cut. But no matter what, your mass gains peaks no matter how many push-ups you can do. If you can do 100 push-ups, you might see some more gains. If you can do 150 push-ups, your gains are not proportionate to the rep count increase. You can get more cut, but the mass growth slows down after a certain point. You would need to add some resistance to go to the next level.
And 50 Cent is probably on the juice if he doesn't have time to be in the gym for long workouts.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Well, depends on what you look like now. If you lose body fat percentage and you are already skinny, you are going to look like a muscular starving Ethiopian dude.
You can still get some gains through medium-heavy weights.
Really, you don't want to do all your workouts with low weights and high reps. You can cut out high weight, low rep workouts. But, you will want to shock your muscles by changing things up between medium resistance and low resistance weight workouts.
No wonder why I've plateaued out. Muscles haven't changed in months. At this point I'm just trying to achieve definition. I don't mind looking aethetically pleasing, yet skinny. I wouldn't mind being Muscular-skinny, opposed to me currently being Flabby-Skinny...

I think that's what @Tony_Bromo might be aiming for....

WuDatWuDat

All Star
Daps
Eating right is a big part of gaining muscle. I don't disagree with you on that.
But muscle mass is actually caused by the micro tears in the muscle fibers while working out and then the healing of those tears. If you are only lifting a certain amount of weight where these tears aren't occurring, then you aren't going to get the same mass gains.
You can do 50 push-ups and be cut. But no matter what, your mass gsh-ups, you might see some more gains. If you can do 150 puains peaks no matter how many push-ups you can do. If you can do 100 push-ups, your gains are not proportionate to the rep count increase. You can get more cut, but the mass growth slows down after a certain point. You would need to add some resistance to go to the next level.
And 50 Cent is probably on the juice if he doesn't have time to be in the gym for long workouts.

You're still going to tear muscle fibers if you're doing high reps though. Of course you'll have to increase those reps or the weight but you don't have to be out here dead'ing 455 and squatting 405 to gain muscle. You can gain just as much muscle deadlifting 225 for high reps as you are doing 455 for low reps.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
You're still going to tear muscle fibers if you're doing high reps though. Of course you'll have to increase those reps or the weight but you don't have to be out here dead'ing 455 and squatting 405 to gain muscle. You can gain just as much muscle deadlifting 225 for high reps as you are doing 455 for low reps.
Lets put it this way, there is no push-up champion who has the same muscle mass as Ronnie Coleman.
Ronnie-Coleman-2012.jpg

Gaston-467.jpg

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Herschel Walker claims to only do bodyweight exercises..

By the way, he's like 50 in this picture..

GettyImages_114576009_ol5735pb_4f99ijjc.jpg

Not as big as Ronnie but for a 50 year old that doesn't even touch weights :yeshrug:
Well, he's cut and has muscle mass, but not too much as that wouldn't benefit him in his sport.
If you don't want to get huge, then you can exercise doing bodyweight stuff or low to medium weight resistance. I'm not saying you have to have bodybuilding goals just because you weight lift as a form of exercise. But if you want muscle mass gains, then weight resistance can get you there faster, with a proper exercise and diet as compared to low weight exercises.