What was your Reaction to WWE purchasing WCW in 2001? Did you watch that Nitro/Raw episode?

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
All I remember thinking was all the potential crazy matchups with the veteran stars, but then it became known E didn't wanna pick their contracts up, and it was all downhill from there.

But yeah crazy EP(s), considering the scope of what was happening.

br82186

Superstar
Daps
Saw it live on Raw and after Vince’s announcement I automatically switched the tv to Nitro because I know there was no chance the WWE was gonna give the WCW given even a sliver’s chance.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The Invasion angle is in part what made a lot of people stop fukkin with wrestling. That first Invasion PPV was actually pretty good and people were into it, it did a really good buyrate.

But as the angle went on and on they started switching sides all over the place, nonsensical twists and turns and it was mostly because the WCW side was lacking in star power.

WWE didn't want to buy out the contracts and get all the big stars on TV.

Can you imagine if the Invasion actually was Hogan, Sting, Hall, Flair, Nash, Goldberg, Booker, DDP, Steiner?

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
I remember the dirtsheets was saying the big names like Goldberg, NWO, Sting wasn't going to WWE so that killed a bit of the buzz but I was still excited for the Invasion angle.

I wish I could find a pic but I vividly remember the WWF (logo) buys WCW (logo) on WWF.com that Friday and how the message boards were going wild.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I was young and not deep in the sheets and online stuff, only reading Wrestlezone so I was kinda hyped lol
I remember first hearing either them on Fuscient was gonna purchase them and I was hoping Vince

I was genuinely hoping for like all the dream matches even though I was well aware they'd have to pick up some contracts. Was really hoping Hogan, Goldberg and Sting were coming in.

:unimpressed: then we saw how it went.

AKM-95

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Parts Unknown
I mean I wasn't shocked it wasn't going to happen, as Wrestling Rumor sites were popping up at that time. So rumors of WCW being in bad shape were being discussed about, but you just had to watch the WCW programming to know it was in trouble when WCW was using like WCW Sin, WCW, Greed, Etc. for PPV names along with that fukking ugly logo.

But from what I remember, was being interested to see what was going down on WCW because there was tons of rumors going on about who might buy them.

So when WCW had their last show... it was still pathetic, it was on a beach in Florida... far removed from the arenas.

But it was monumental to see WCW with the NWO stuff and then gone in less than 5 years.
i remember it being a possibilty but the rumor/dirt sheet sites were worse back then so I didn't know what to believe until I saw Vince on TNT.

I can't front when it actually happend I was flipping back and forth to see if there was differences for like the first few minutes :pachaha:

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
I don't remember anything at all about my reaction other than me abandoning wrestling entirely after ECW and WCW shut down. So I am going to assume it was not a good reaction. Even though WCW was trash by that point, WWE without competition is garbage too.