What was your Reaction to WWE purchasing WCW in 2001? Did you watch that Nitro/Raw episode?

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
Can’t believe this was 22 years ago. My brother and I would switch back and forth between Nitro and Raw (yes even when nitro was trash) but man what a shock to see this as the opening for nitro. Probably the biggest moment I’ve ever seen being a wrestling fan

Last edited:

Trips

Superstar
Daps
Whew. Man the fact that it's already been 20+ years is wild to me. And forgive me my brain is so...so hazy of that actual day. But, I remember the night felt really off. WCW just kind of felt like they were going through the motions on the card. That Vince promo didn't really make me think much of it. I remember my boy called me and was all "yo Vince is on Nitro".

For me. Things got to really popping me when the Invasion started. I remember the night RVD showed up on RAW, I thought my Grandma was going to kick us out of the house cause we were watching RAW upstairs instead of downstairs. And we got too hype and one of my boys White Guy was jumping up and down like he ain't got no home training and she came out from down the hall and was like cut that shyt out! Act like y'all got some damn sense.

But, yeah my real favorite moments of getting caught up in it all were definitely all after the actual Final Nitro moment. The final Nitro just felt like another random night of WCW with the WWF cloud of uncertainty around it.

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
Whew. Man the fact that it's already been 20+ years is wild to me. And forgive me my brain is so...so hazy of that actual day. But, I remember the night felt really off. WCW just kind of felt like they were going through the motions on the card. That Vince promo didn't really make me think much of it. I remember my boy called me and was all "yo Vince is on Nitro".

For me. Things got to really popping me when the Invasion started. I remember the night RVD showed up on RAW, I thought my Grandma was going to kick us out of the house cause we were watching RAW upstairs instead of downstairs. And we got too hype and one of my boys White Guy was jumping up and down like he ain't got no home training and she came out from down the hall and was like cut that shyt out! Act like y'all got some damn sense.

But, yeah my real favorite moments of getting caught up in it all were definitely all after the actual Final Nitro moment. The final Nitro just felt like another random night of WCW with the WWF cloud of uncertainty around it.
Man.. those were uncertain and exciting times as a fan. I knew even the WWF wouldn’t be the same after the closure of WCW (Wrestlemania 17 was less than a week away I believe). I also remember being excited about the potential of big name WCW/ECW stars showing up on Raw every week. :ohlawd:

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Shiit Was Nuts But To This Day I Wish Vince Showed Up At Nitro

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I remember watching it live. I think I first heard about it reading something like the fukking MSN homepage or something :mjlol:

But this was the first Nitro I had seen in probably a year. I gave up on WCW after all the bad booking and after it was clear that Bret probably wasn't going to wrestle again.

Back then I didn't call it "booking." I was still a kid and didn't know all the insider shyt. I just thought the show sucked.

Hostile

All Star
Daps
It's crazy because I hadn't watched Raw or Nitro in a long time because we lost cable but I was at my aunt's house that day and tuned in. I hadn't heard anything about it beforehand. I was puzzled but when does anything WCW related not leave me puzzled? I didn't get sad until Sting/Flair.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
I mean I wasn't shocked it wasn't going to happen, as Wrestling Rumor sites were popping up at that time. So rumors of WCW being in bad shape were being discussed about, but you just had to watch the WCW programming to know it was in trouble when WCW was using like WCW Sin, WCW, Greed, Etc. for PPV names along with that fukking ugly logo.

But from what I remember, was being interested to see what was going down on WCW because there was tons of rumors going on about who might buy them.

So when WCW had their last show... it was still pathetic, it was on a beach in Florida... far removed from the arenas.

But it was monumental to see WCW with the NWO stuff and then gone in less than 5 years.

Wolfpac

Don't Turn Your Back....
Supporter
Daps
I mean I wasn't shocked it wasn't going to happen, as Wrestling Rumor sites were popping up at that time. So rumors of WCW being in bad shape were being discussed about, but you just had to watch the WCW programming to know it was in trouble when WCW was using like WCW Sin, WCW, Greed, Etc. for PPV names along with that fukking ugly logo.

But from what I remember, was being interested to see what was going down on WCW because there was tons of rumors going on about who might buy them.

So when WCW had their last show... it was still pathetic, it was on a beach in Florida... far removed from the arenas.

But it was monumental to see WCW with the NWO stuff and then gone in less than 5 years.
And to think we're a few months away from AEW existing for 5 years. Shows you how fast WCW fell.