What was wrong with the Mark Walberg Planet of the Apes?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It was straight but I think people didn't like how they fukk with the mythos. I personally didn't even get the twist in the end but it is whatever :manny:

I don't mind them messing with the mythos I just mind the movie being kinda meh performance and story wise especially when the makeup was so on point. Such a great looking movie. I'm not one of those people who gets upset when stuff is changed. It's a reboot afterall or a remake you should change some stuff just make it make sense and that ending did not

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
Problem with the movie is "Mark Walberg" :scusthov: actor.

I think the ending was a reference to "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" where the roles between humans and apes were reversed. To go to his timeline he'd have to go further into past.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Somebody explain the ending brehs. I still haven't read or heard anything that gives a convincing explanation.

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
That movie where Mark Wahlberg kisses Helena Bonham Carter dressed as an ape?

I'm out.

Vzm8B.gif

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Somebody explain the ending brehs. I still haven't read or heard anything that gives a convincing explanation.
Time on Earth and time on the Planet of the Apes run in opposite directions.
  1. Pericles the ape leaves the ship Oberonfirst and travels through the storm.
  2. Leo follows Pericles through the storm.
  3. Eventually the Oberon follows Leo.
Because time on the other side of the storm is running in the opposite direction, the three travellers arrive in the opposite order to that in which they set out.

1. The Oberon arrives first and crashes. Its ape cargo swarm out and populate the planet, creating the Planet Of The Apes. Thousands of years pass.
  2. Leo arrives next, eventually locates the ruins of the Oberon.
  3. During the climactic battle scene of the movie, Pericles finally arrives too.
Now we have everybody on the far side of the storm, and we move into hypothesis.

1. Leo returns to Earth in his pod, through the storm.
  2. Hypothetically, some time later, the apes develop space travel and follow Leo through the storm.
Because time runs in opposite directions, again the travellers arrive in opposite order:

1. The space-travelling apes land hundreds or thousands of years before Leo: in fact, hundreds or thousands of years in Earth's past. They conquer Earth and it becomes a new ape planet. HISTORY CHANGES.
  2. Leo arrives much later (but still in what is technically his own past because the movie starts out some time in the future). He discovers a regular Earth but it is now populated by apes.
Leo is back on Earth, but history has been changed and he has no way home.

Regardless of how good the rest of the movie is, this is a pretty cool and sophisticated model of time travel, and the final reveal makes complete sense, as well as being a mind-boggler in the best spirit of the original. I am led to believe that nobody involved in its production - even the director - actually understood the twist ending. I believe the only person who actually "got it" was the original script writer, and the twist was simply left in by everybody who looked at the script afterwards, each reader reasoning that the twist was still good even if they, personally, didn't understand it.

As a side note, there is no reason why the Planet Of The Apes can't still be Earth-in-the-distant-future, as it is in the original flick. In fact, this makes a great deal of sense: it would mean the storm simply connects two different periods in time rather than two distinct solar systems which both happen to have Earthlike planets.

http://qntm.org/apes

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
I was just talking with my dad about it earlier... I figured it was too different from the original to be a modernized version... If that makes sense. Also i havent seen all of the original to compare so i cant fully say other than i enjoyed the remake.