What turns you off in a film that makes you stop it?

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I’m watching a film with some of the worst dialogue I heard and the storytelling is weak. The characters are boring and one dimensional. I’m close to shutting this shyt off because it’s boring so far. The “interesting” part happens at the end of act 1 and it’s nothing that has me :ohhh: :

I might continue on just to take note of how not to make a movie. What makes you shut off a movie/show?

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
It could be anything. What I can say is that those Tubi movies have the ability to make me turn the channel quicker than any others. Most I can’t even get thru the credits. I remember I couple of months ago I started watching something from the Tubi recommendations thread. You can just sense the poor quality in the production typically in one dialogue scene. It comes off like a school play with no dimension.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
It could be anything. What I can say is that those Tubi movies have the ability to make me turn the channel quicker than any others. Most I can’t even get thru the credits. I remember I couple of months ago I started watching something from the Tubi recommendations thread. You can just sense the poor quality in the production typically in one dialogue scene. It comes off like a school play with no dimension.

“It could be anything”? csn you list a few things?

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
Once I make it like 20 minutes in I try not to abandon a film

But I might shut it off if I feel like the movie is too different than how it was represented genre/tone wise

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I abandon movies all the time - part of it is that it’s hard to catch my attention so if you haven’t and the movie has been on 20+ mins, I’ll bail cuz I clearly ain’t into it

Really bad acting, dialogue, and pacing

Musicals, part of what makes Disney movies unwatchable to me whereas Pixar movies are dope

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Movies I've copped and then dropped
  • Killers of the Flower Moon - Sometimes I see the run time and realize that I don't have the patience for it. I also know that it's gonna be some colonizer bs with zero get back
  • Beau is Afraid - didn't grab me fast enough. On the edge of weirdness, prolly more messed up than I had time for.
  • Poor Things - This is just gonna be weird for the sake of weirdness. I'm not a real cinephile apparently.
  • Sacred Soil - The Piney Woods - This is gonna be a puff piece, and whatever "conflict" is the type of thing I expect from my fellow members of the talented 10th. Type of thing you watch with your comfortable AKA Girlfriend. My desire to consume Black Art is always high - and because of the amount of Black art, movies, music, tv shows etc - I can't watch "Hidden Numbers" type stuff.
  • The Choice is Yours - Struggling of my demographic. Can't watch.
  • How to Blow Up a Pipeline - I thought I wanted to watch it, but didn't grab me either.
  • Judge Dredd - It started out cool, and then they brought in the Rookie. Queen Cersei and Avon are in it, but not enough to keep my from fading.
  • High and Low (1964) - Japanese film that Spike is gonna remake. I can usually rock with both Japanese and Black And White...but too much work
  • Unforgiven (2013) - Japanese remake of the Clint Eastwood film - bad rip - I might have to actually pay to watch this someplace.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
That last movie I stopped watching 30 min in was The Fall Guy, it seemed too cheesy, I don't really like Gosling for this role and the other actress from Sicario I don't really like her at all. It wasn't worth my attention.

The last tv show I just stopped watching was Eric with Benedict Cumberbatch. I thought it was going to be a thriller but it is kind of a character study. I really tried to give it a shot 4 episodes in thinking it was going to get better. I just don't care what happens in the story, my time is valuable.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Same thing that'll make me drop anything that is a story - extreme contrivance.

If the character has to do something not only stupid, but markedly against their established character because whoever wrote the storyline needed their plot point to be met and didn't do the work to get it there without bullshyt; I'm out.

The writer/director/etc too lazy to remember who their characters are, and how they work? Well fine, me too nikka :yeshrug: