What should be the maximum squat deadlift before you stop?

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
As long as you can still move efficiently and don't get injured, keep going. I'd honestly say a 440lb DL is strong enough for a guy under 220. And a 405 squat is probably as strong as a regular dude will ever need to be. After that, I'd go for improving fitness and maintaining your mobility, etc.
Man 315 is probably more than enough tbh on squats unless you playing sports or just like lifting. 405 my dude only dudes you aren't stronger than are pros at something for the most part lol

HE_Pennypacker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
One more thing I wanted to say was not to sleep on bodyweight work. If you can lift more but can't do many GHR, pullups or dips - you're getting too fat.

Man 315 is probably more than enough tbh on squats unless you playing sports or just like lifting. 405 my dude only dudes you aren't stronger than are pros at something for the most part lol

lmao you're probably right. I'm that "always go too far with shyt I'm interested in" nikka :skip:315 for 5 reps and you're set for lower body everything.

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
I set PR on deadlift the other day.. 3 plates for 8 reps

I'm no way neer that in squats :whoa: being a tall nicca I'm afraid I'm gonna snap some shyt...
use a sumo stance to squat. You won't snap nothing up that way. Plus squatting helps your back cause you have 300+ lbs just sitting on your scapulaes

HE_Pennypacker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
use a sumo stance to squat. You won't snap nothing up that way. Plus squatting helps your back cause you have 300+ lbs just sitting on your scapulaes

or a hex bar. or do snatch grip deadlifts - you'll hit your hams and glutes really well, but you'll need a lot less weight.

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
I set PR on deadlift the other day.. 3 plates for 8 reps

I'm no way neer that in squats :whoa: being a tall nicca I'm afraid I'm gonna snap some shyt...

Nothing to be afraid of breh. Is your height mostly in your legs or your torso?

It's so relative to the individual where you draw the line, I'm working towards a 500lb squat and a 600lb dead in training right now but that's because it's something I personally want.

I'm selfishly doing it for "legacy" I want my kids, nephews etc to talk about how strong pops/unc was/is I'm healthy as a horse and injury free so why not see how far I can push myself.

I wouldn't dare put that standard on anyone else because it isn't their goal. :manny:

Last edited:

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
I don't know if it's because I'm only a couple years into lifting, but the numbers I see people post on here are nothing like what I generally see in gyms.

i have see someone squat 405-440 maybe once or twice, you guys are some monsters :whoo:

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
I don't know if it's because I'm only a couple years into lifting, but the numbers I see people post on here are nothing like what I generally see in gyms.

i have see someone squat 405-440 maybe once or twice, you guys are some monsters :whoo:
Nah fam you normal cause I agree with you. If you at a regular LA fitness type gym outside of a few where bodybuilders, dedicated lifters frequent or your ex athletes you're absolutely right. Dudes doing 4 plates on squats is the exception not the rule. 3 plates benching at most places is the same way hell even 275 is top 10-20% level strength at most gyms.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
i like squatting and deadlifting but I'm not trying to fukk my back up so I want to reach a certain weight then keep at that level without going higher. Which weight would y'all say it's the maximum? I'm currently on 176lbs for both of them.
You can always deadlift more than you squat, unless your form is off.
176 lbs is your one-rep max?

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You can always deadlift more than you squat, unless your form is off.
176 lbs is your one-rep max?
Yeah I only just started lifting and I've had back problems before so I'm taking it slowly. I only increase the weight when I'm really sure I can handle it.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Yeah I only just started lifting and I've had back problems before so I'm taking it slowly. I only increase the weight when I'm really sure I can handle it.
Well, if you just started lifting, then use this chart One-Rep Max Chart (Best 1RM Percentage Chart) - BuiltLean

Now that you kind of know your one-rep max for squat and deadlift, use that to gauge how much you can lift for 5 to 12 reps. Do your workouts based on lifting x pounds for 8 to 12 reps on medium to medium heavy days, and x pounds for 2 to 7 reps on heavy days.
Example, your one-rep max on squat is 176. There's no one-rep max on the chart, but you can see that 175 lbs in the first column equates to lifting 125 lbs for 12 reps. in your next medium weight leg workout, you may want to attempt 125 lbs for 12 reps, 130 lbs for 10 reps, 135 lbs for 9 reps, etc.
Then on the following week, you may want to have a heavy weight leg day. after warming up, you may want to work your way up to attempting 145 lbs for 6 reps, 150 lbs for 5 reps. 155 lbs for 4 reps, etc..