What should be Naughty Dog’s next IP?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Something realistic like Uncharted or TLOU

Ironically out of the 3 original flagship Sony platforming studios (Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sucker Punch) Naughty Dog is the only one to not make a "realistic" open world title. They're also the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed of the 3...

There's clearly still a huge market for cinematic adventure games; open world titles in many ways share none of the strengths of that genre because in current open world titles, the environment itself isn't a character in the same way. The environment in an open world title reacts to player input and player input alone... Rockstar is good at masking this with "chance encounters" that are designed to make NPCs appear to live out their own lives separate from player interaction, but in reality, those NPCs don't actually affect the environment nor the player until you interact with them. If you skipped all the sidequests in RDR2, literally nothing will change in the Gameworld aside from your character's honor meter. In the future I hope that GTA and other open world titles integrate more randomized natural disasters that drastically change the types of sidequests available in towns, NPCs that initiate hostile action towards the player based on shifting player attributes (i.e. jackboys target the player for driving a nice car or because they know the player is rich) etc. I'm tired of the same-old fetch quests and stock story missions that don't react to the choices you make within the world. In a world like Los Santos where you literally kill 1,000s of cops and members of gangs and crime syndicates, there should be a lot of NPCs in the world who want your head on a platter. It would be dope if when your driving on the streets you need to periodically check if the same car's been tailing you the last 5 turns you made... it would be dope if periodically when you go to your safehouse, you gotta deal with home invaders/assassins. Would be even doper if there was a way for you to track down who put the hit out on you and tie off the loose ends while finding out why they had it out for you in the first place. Come to find out you slaughtered somebody's entire bloodline during a story mission and they have nothing else to live for except bodying you :wow: fukk around and get packed out by a crew of NPCs in GTA 6 because you held up one of they mamas at gunpoint for the fukk of it :mjlol:

Long story short I'd only want Naughty Dog in the open world genre if they were gonna introduce some real innovation in terms of player choices having real consequences and even the shyt you don't do directly to other characters (like making money) has consequences, just like real life :wow:

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
Ironically out of the 3 original flagship Sony platforming studios (Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sucker Punch) Naughty Dog is the only one to not make a "realistic" open world title. They're also the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed of the 3...

There's clearly still a huge market for cinematic adventure games; open world titles in many ways share none of the strengths of that genre because in current open world titles, the environment itself isn't a character in the same way. The environment in an open world title reacts to player input and player input alone... Rockstar is good at masking this with "chance encounters" that are designed to make NPCs appear to live out their own lives separate from player interaction, but in reality, those NPCs don't actually affect the environment nor the player until you interact with them. If you skipped all the sidequests in RDR2, literally nothing will change in the Gameworld aside from your character's honor meter. In the future I hope that GTA and other open world titles integrate more randomized natural disasters that drastically change the types of sidequests available in towns, NPCs that initiate hostile action towards the player based on shifting player attributes (i.e. jackboys target the player for driving a nice car or because they know the player is rich) etc. I'm tired of the same-old fetch quests and stock story missions that don't react to the choices you make within the world. In a world like Los Santos where you literally kill 1,000s of cops and members of gangs and crime syndicates, there should be a lot of NPCs in the world who want your head on a platter. It would be dope if when your driving on the streets you need to periodically check if the same car's been tailing you the last 5 turns you made... it would be dope if periodically when you go to your safehouse, you gotta deal with home invaders/assassins. Would be even doper if there was a way for you to track down who put the hit out on you and tie off the loose ends while finding out why they had it out for you in the first place. Come to find out you slaughtered somebody's entire bloodline during a story mission and they have nothing else to live for except bodying you :wow: fukk around and get packed out by a crew of NPCs in GTA 6 because you held up one of they mamas at gunpoint for the fukk of it :mjlol:

Long story short I'd only want Naughty Dog in the open world genre if they were gonna introduce some real innovation in terms of player choices having real consequences and even the shyt you don't do directly to other characters (like making money) has consequences, just like real life :wow:

Didn't read 95% of your post, but the point is for them to do something else because they're looking like a very limited studio. Rockstar could pump out better linear games with more details with less time than them

R*>ND shouldn't even have to be a hard decision.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Didn't read 95% of your post, but the point is for them to do something else because they're looking like a very limited studio. Rockstar could pump out better linear games with more details with less time than them

TLDR version: Unless Naughty Dog is gonna trailblaze in the open world genre by creating a title with greater parity between a player's actions and the way the open world reacts to the player, I wouldn't really be interested in playing their version of GTA. Open worlds have too many narrative constraints that don't play to Naughty Dog's strengths, so if they did go that route I'd rather they eschew a Rockstar style narrative completely and focus on one that has more "choose your own adventure" elements by emphasizing player agency.

Kairi Irving

Daps
TLDR version: Unless Naughty Dog is gonna trailblaze in the open world genre by creating a title with greater parity between a player's actions and the way the open world reacts to the player, I wouldn't really be interested in playing their version of GTA. Open worlds have too many narrative constraints that don't play to Naughty Dog's strengths, so if they did go that route I'd rather they eschew a Rockstar style narrative completely and focus on one that has more "choose your own adventure" elements by emphasizing player agency.

Rockstar has done kiddy games, 2d games, transitioned to 3d, linear and open world games, it's just comical how people rank a one dimensional game studio with less "acclaimed" titles than Rockstar on the same level, lol

In terms of hits and classics among gamers and critics.

Rockstar has:
GTA 3
VC
SA
Bully
GTA IV
GTA V
MP3
RDR1
RDR2
Midnight Club 3
Midnight Club LA
(Not too sure if manhunt is as loved as the other games)

Naughty Dog has:
Crash1-2 (not sure if whole series is a hit)
Uncharted 1-4
TLOU
Jak (not sure if whole series is a hit)

it's like they haven't really done anything

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Rockstar has done kiddy games, 2d games, transitioned to 3d, linear and open world games, it's just comical how people rank a one dimensional game studio with less "acclaimed" titles than Rockstar on the same level, lol

In terms of hits and classics among gamers and critics.

Rockstar has:
GTA 3
VC
SA
Bully
GTA IV
GTA V
MP3
RDR1
RDR2
Midnight Club 3
Midnight Club LA
(Not too sure if manhunt is as loved as the other games)

Naughty Dog has:
Crash1-2 (not sure if whole series is a hit)
Uncharted 1-4
TLOU
Jak (not sure if whole series is a hit)

it's like they haven't really done anything

You listed out every GTA title individually and then bunch ND's games together to make Rockstar's list look longer :mjlol: Seems like you care more about discrediting ND's popularity than actually discussing what their next IP could be

Kairi Irving

Daps
You listed out every GTA title individually and then bunch ND's games together to make Rockstar's list look longer :mjlol: Seems like you care more about discrediting ND's popularity than actually discussing what their next IP could be

I knew you'd say that and I noticed it myself, I was lazy and didn't feel like spacing it out after writing Rockstar first. Either way it's still a steep hill for ND to climb, and while I'm at it Neil Druckmann is not a better writer than Dan Houser

Nikka jacked Tomb Raiders sauce :francis: