What should a Black superhero property aim to teach?

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Black Panther was electrifying to the community. The message of how to deal with global, systematic racism was pretty solid.

But EVERY Black movie is about racism. The struggle. It's important. But I feel like that subject has been tackled from almost every angle. Even the most advanced society on the planet (Wakanda) has to deal with being downtrodden somehow.

I am thinking there has to be something else that can be said with a Black superhero property.

I want my characters to be on the other side of the struggle and be doing whatever we would do if we were free.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
You want a black superhero to be globally popular or popular only among us.

Whatever it is can’t be overt. If you’re talking about a strong black unit you can’t be preachy something like the fantastic four would be great. grounded in fantasy not the stereotypes.

Actually Marvel did it pretty well with Blue Marvel.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
dont constantly put the fate of the world on the shoulders of the characters. i like to use as examples are spider man and superman

spider mans motto is with great power comes great responsibility, which on paper is a good thing to stand for, but the writers take it to such a fukking extreme that it usually leads to peter parker and spider man ending up miserable because he feels its his responsibility to bear all responsibility regardless of the strain it takes to him. superman lives by a similar motto, but hes allowed to stop and smell the flowers. two characters who are often seen as the hope of their respective multiverses, but are in completely different places in life because of this.

eBYrhKZ.jpeg

BgbQXoY.jpeg

so dont make it a black heroes problem to try to solve all black peoples problems. have them do what they can and let them be respected for it

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I was thinking some kind of global situation, society breaks down, the protagonists are part of a secret community that already has sustainable technology and is already mostly off grid. They have archived everything important already and have the skills to restart power plants and radio stations.

They have a leg up on all the other remnants of society and they build their empire. Reworking and recycling the wreckage.

Edit: I been working on this shyt SOHH LONG. Decades even, if I count the bits and pieces from earlier tries.

That little elevator pitch is the most coherent summary I've mustered.

Last edited:

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
You want a black superhero to be globally popular or popular only among us.

Whatever it is can’t be overt. If you’re talking about a strong black unit you can’t be preachy something like the fantastic four would be great. grounded in fantasy not the stereotypes.

Actually Marvel did it pretty well with Blue Marvel.

Denzel as Blue Marvel would be :mindblown: :banderas:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
how to stop criminals and with great power comes great responsibility like every other super hero

I don’t need lessons in blackness from a nikka n spandex

We need a Black Superman that'll fight the KKK

The traditional superhero thing with the wrestling costume is already complete. No need for any new ones.

I'm thinking more: Matrix, the later Fast and Furious, John Wick, or even Winter Soldier or Dark Knight. Mostly realistic with heavy plot armor and some fantastic elements.

As for Black Superman, I wouldn't have any character strong enough to be untouchable. Even the strongest one will be able to be killed by 100 of the mid tier ones.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
I was thinking some kind of global situation, society breaks down, the protagonists are part of a secret community that already has sustainable technology and is already mostly off grid. They have archived everything important already and have the skills to restart power plants and radio stations.

They have a leg up on all the other remnants of society and they build their empire. Reworking and recycling the wreckage.

Edit: I been working on this shyt SOHH LONG. Decades even, if I count the bits and pieces from earlier tries.

That little elevator pitch is the most coherent summary I've mustered.

What’s the angle?

Who are the villains?

What’s the hero’s call to action?

What are remnants doing?

Right now breh you don’t have an elevator you just have an idea.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
The traditional superhero thing with the wrestling costume is already complete. No need for any new ones.

I'm thinking more: Matrix, the later Fast and Furious, John Wick, or even Winter Soldier or Dark Knight. Mostly realistic with heavy plot armor and some fantastic elements.

As for Black Superman, I wouldn't have any character strong enough to be untouchable. Even the strongest one will be able to be killed by 100 of the mid tier ones.

so something like 100 bullets?