What music did mom and pops have you listening to growing up?

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Mom and pops were you're typical inner city American black folks who grew up in the late 50s and 60s and were in the 20s in the 70s...so the Supremes, Four Tops, Curtis Mayfield, the Commadores, the Isly Brothers and a few others ran the household.

In the 80s they mixed that with Patty Label, Luther Vandross, Stevie Wonder and a few others that were constantly on rotation...espcially on Saturday afternoons.

I feel bad for the lil niccas today...with their first sounds of music being hip hop...and shyt by lil wayne and drake. A generation doomed from the womb.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Mom and pops were you're typical inner city American black folks who grew up in the late 50s and 60s and were in the 20s in the 70s...so the Supremes, Four Tops, Curtis Mayfield, the Commadores, the Isly Brothers and a few others ran the household.

In the 80s they mixed that with Patty Label, Luther Vandross, Stevie Wonder and a few others that were constantly on rotation...espcially on Saturday afternoons.

I feel bad for the lil niccas today...with their first sounds of music being hip hop...and shyt by lil wayne and drake. A generation doomed from the womb.

Tell me about it. Born in 91 and I find it hard to believe that one day I will be bumpin some Mobb Deep and Jay with lil shorty in the back seat. I might have to switch it up. Perhaps I'll hit them with some Mos Def, Common, Me Against the World Pac and Late Reg Kanye to even it out :ehh:

Imagine this in front of your kids...:russ:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDe6UxghxKA"]Mobb Deep - Right Back At You - YouTube[/ame]

This gon definitely get played though. One of my fave car albums
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYmq8b5MZd8"]Smif N Wessun - Shinin...Next shyt - YouTube[/ame]

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
:russ: I'm in the same boat, but I just realized my parents are the last generation to give that :what::whoa: "what's that noise?" reaction to rap music.

young parents today are bobbin to the same songs their kids are into.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
ma: sade, luther, anita, smooth jazz

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WcWHZc8s2I&list=AL94UKMTqg-9ASq6mq6UL-x2Yr9TUZDGI4&index=4&feature=plcp"]Sade - No Ordinary Love - YouTube[/ame]

da: the delfonics, the dramatics

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCwOdjympZo"]The Dramatics Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get - YouTube[/ame]

among other things. but ma and pops had a young nikka jammin in the backseat back in the day:stylin:

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Dad was into alot of Funk boogie down type shyt, alot of alternative, reggae and a HUGE DMX fan lol. But besides all that dude LOVED Red Hot Chilli Peppers and pretty much put me on em.

Mom was into a lot Tony Toni Tone and DelaSoul. Other than that she and my dad had the pretty much same taste. Probably love Jill Scott as much as my dad loved DMX lol.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_uHJPUlO8]Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away [Official Music Video] - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps

:wow:

with some American (Beatles, Beegees, Queen) & other Latino music thrown in the mix

Last edited by a moderator:

Sierra Mist

Banned
Daps
My parents listened to a few different things. My dad was big on the 1980's r and b as well as soul music. My mom listened to a lot of hiphop, country music, Latin music, and Italian music. When I was a kid I remember hearing a lot of Tina Turner, Celine Dion, Tupac, Kenny Lattimore, DMX, Run DMC, Big Pun, Selena, Mya, Destiny's Child and Usher... old school hiphop (1980s) was played a lot and so was the then current (1990's) hiphop. I'd post the shyt here but these are names everyone should know anyway.

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
My father is a jazz Fan so whenever he played something it was john coltrane, dexter grodon, art blaklely, thelonious monk. if you were to ask my father about hip-hop he knows the jay-z's the nas's the snoops....but claim name NO song by none of them. Although he is familiar Public Enemy (It Takes a Nation was actually a birthday gift from him to me....when my parents decide it was time to listen to that kind of music) with My mother is basically and R&B fan. so sade played alot in the house, toni braxton who i thought was a fukking man a first when i first heard her, donny hathaway, marvin gaye.

I think that is where my diverse listening ear comes from.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
My mother played that 60's/70's around the house when I was small we ain't touch them CD's in years though :why:

My father and uncle would DJ their own mixes of house music for the fukk of it.