Most underrated Mario game?

• Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (NES, 1986)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES, 1988)

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • Super Mario Land (Game Boy, 1989)

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Dr. Mario (NES, 1990)

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Super Mario Land 2 (Super NES, 1992)

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Super Mario Kart (Super NES, 1992)

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Donkey Kong (Game Boy, 1994)

• Yoshi's Island (Super NES, 1995)

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Super Mario RPG (Super NES, 1996)

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Paper Mario (N64, 2000)

• Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube, 2002)

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash (Gamecube: 2003)

• Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (Game Boy Advance, 2003)

• Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (Gamecube, 2004)

• Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS: 2005)

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My personal top 5:

Super Mario 3 (All-Stars version)
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Yoshi’s Island (I know I’m cheating on this one)

Honorable mentions go to Super Mario 64, Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Has to be Sunshine because the rest of the mainline games are universally praised almost to the point of being overrated.

Money Be Green

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Pitts
H2x1_N64_MarioParty_image1600w.jpg

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Lowkey I gotta say Super Paper Mario. It's slept on cause it's the first game in the series that moved on from its RPG roots of the first two games. But it is an awesome game. The writing was surprisingly clever and funny. Best of the series. Gameplay was good enough nothing crazy since it was platforming. After this game is when the series really fell off and the gameplay took a nosedive.

Mystic

All Star
Bushed
Daps
How the fukk is Super Mario Kart(considered the best to many, not me though) underrated? fukking dumbass. This is my choice though

Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikka...

MARIO PAINT. Not trolling at all.
You're right, I should have made that one of the options. People are still putting in work through Mario Paint to this day.
Someone animated the whole OG TMNT intro on Mario Paint:

Lowkey I gotta say Super Paper Mario. It's slept on cause it's the first game in the series that moved on from its RPG roots of the first two games. But it is an awesome game. The writing was surprisingly clever and funny. Best of the series. Gameplay was good enough nothing crazy since it was platforming. After this game is when the series really fell off and the gameplay took a nosedive.
It wasn't as good as Thousand Year Door, but that nerdy chameleon had me rolling :mjlol:
They were lowkey ethering their own fanbase with that character.

How the ____ is Super Mario Kart(considered the best to many, not me though) underrated? ____ing dumbass. This is my choice though

Super Mario Kart is for sure a game changer in terms of it's impact, but most websites I've seen rate the original as one of the weaker games of the series.
I personally think the original game is goated--it deserves more love for it's impact on the genre and it's greater reliance on skill over abusing the most broken items.
But I RARELY see anyone giving the OG Super Mario Kart its flowers outside of the Coli. Most people I talk to tend to praise 64 as the best.

Last edited:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
It wasn't as good as Thousand Year Door, but that nerdy chameleon had me rolling :mjlol:
They were lowkey ethering their own fanbase with that character.
Yea no question Paper Mario 64 and TTYD are the best in the series. Gameplay being the big reason.

There so much gold in super paper mario with its writing. Honestly one day I want to replay 64, TTYD and Super.

But after that the gameplay just :smh:

At least Origami King had great writing similar to the first 3 paper mario games. But gameplay in that wasn't bad like the Wii U and 3ds Paper Mario games. But it was too much of a hassle :francis:

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
Super Mario Galaxy :wow:

Probably the best Mario game in existence that sadly gets overlooked due to "Wii".
I thought people loved that shyt tho.

I didn't know Mario Kart DS was underrated, but if it is, that's just crazy. Easily a top 2 MK game and it's crazy how stats matter in that game. You legit have to change your driving mentality depending on the kart you picked.

Meanwhile, that washed bullshyt they call MK8 Deluxe does everything in its power to provide the most mid experience you could possibly get. Wack builds and stats, wide tracks with almost no sharp turns, and the worst balance patch I've ever seen between the Wii U version and the Switch "Deluxe". :pacspit:

The 3D platformer they ported to Switch with the cat power-up is also pretty underrated. I think it's 3D World? I dunno why people didn't rock with it.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
I thought people loved that shyt tho.

I didn't know Mario Kart DS was underrated, but if it is, that's just crazy. Easily a top 2 MK game and it's crazy how stats matter in that game. You legit have to change your driving mentality depending on the kart you picked.

Meanwhile, that washed bullshyt they call MK8 Deluxe does everything in its power to provide the most mid experience you could possibly get. Wack builds and stats, wide tracks with almost no sharp turns, and the worst balance patch I've ever seen between the Wii U version and the Switch "Deluxe". :pacspit:

The 3D platformer they ported to Switch with the cat power-up is also pretty underrated. I think it's 3D World? I dunno why people didn't rock with it.

Super Mario 3D World. I played it and it was a mixed bag for me. The whole premise of the game was there (typical Mario), but the level layout was so damn obnoxious. I enjoyed Boweser's Fury over the 3d World to be honest because it felt like a throwback to Mario 64 with better mechanics and fun objectives.