What is the Indian Caste system

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
egyptian-social-structure.png

Yeah, Egypt had a class system too, the Indian system differs in that they put the Priests and Sages at the top. It's unique in that regard.

Traditionally Brahmins were supposed to be poor, forsake wealth and live off alms. Nowadays it's much different, obviously.

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Caste is something the british made up to identify different communities. What you really want to read up on is varna.

It's not based on race or color, it's based on karma. If it were color based all white people would be brahmins, but they aren't. To be a brahmin you have to have a gotra http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotra

As for what your varna would be, you wouldn't have one.

What was your teachers last name? I can probly tell you what he is.
DoHarris

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
:dwillhuh::russ:

why the fukk did i think that? i woulda sworn someone told me that the british emphasized it at least?

edit: wait a second breh

Caste is often thought of as an ancient fact of Hindu life, but various contemporary scholars argue that the caste system was constructed by theBritish colonial regime.[8] Between 1860 and 1920, the British segregated Indians by caste, granting administrative jobs and senior appointments only to the upper castes. Social unrest during 1920s led to a change in this policy

i mean of course there was always a class systems with priests and shyt, i know that much
nah not like that.

look at the egyptian pyramid posted above....all the british did were give existing upper class their existing positions. if that makes any sense? this was strategic because you cant just pull a priest out a temple and make him work on railroads, folks would go bonkers. all they did was give top class top position (which they already had prior to the british) and of course treat them better. those on the lower class were treated accordingly. clever tactic actually. but again, it had nothing to do with skin color.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
lol people saying brits invented racism in india

Buddha was born a Brahmin, then when he's 13 his like tutor brings him out of the castle walls and he sees people plowing fields and says "ohhh shiiii" and goes on his ascetic trip.

Explaining the caste system, I mean...It's as old as time. Human beings up until the age of Enlightment basically all lived in role playing societies. That's why people have last names. Eventually, one guy completely obliterates all his enemies, sets up house. All his relatives are king, and it works down from there.

@Tommy Knocks, Things Fall Apart explains that a bit better.

British dude comes in, "Hey m8, work for us"
"nah cac"
"Okay now you're in jail"
comes back years later, now your kid's calling himself Isaac
:why:

CEITEDMOFO

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
something i was reading the other night i found rather interesting.

.......Among the many marks which distinguish castes, eating habits are significant. The ritual of eating is both religious and social. What a man eats and how he eats it affect not only his status as a caste-man but also the welfare of his soul. "The foolish man who, after leaving eaten a Shaddha - dinner, gives the leavings to a Sudra, falls headlong into Kalasutra hell. Persons of some of the lower castes may pollute the meal of the other caste-men by merely looking upon it; and conversely, foods may be uterly ruined if at mealtime men of certain upper castes happen to see certain low-caste men, or a dog, for example. "There are abundant proofs that the repast has kept a religious meaning for the Hindus. The Brahman avoids eating at the same time or out of the same vessel not only with a stranger or an inferior, but even with his own wife and his yet uninitiated ones.

The status of commensals, of course, is of prime importance. The rule is that persons of different castes may not eat together.

A Kshatriya who comes to the house of a Brahmania is not called a guest. ......But if a Kshatriya comes to the house in the manner of a guest, the householder may feed him.....after the above-mentioned Brahmanas have eaten. Even a Vaisya and a Sudra who have approached his house in the manner of guest, he may allow to eat with his servants, showing thereby his compassionate disposition