What is the Indian Caste system

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I got this book last week:
And it touches on some world history, and how Indo-Europeans spread their racist ideologies across the countries they conquered. But a segment out of the law of manu basically said it's ok to kill Sudra's (blacks) among other things:merchant:

It got me thinking does present day India still have this caste system? And if so how come i see Indians darker than me running around Atlanta? (Id imagine if you're on the lower end of the caste system you wouldn't have the money to immigrate to America). I'm really curious because i had an Indian math teacher last year and i asked him to write a letter of recommendation for me.....I did ok in the class so i thought he'd vouch for me, but he basically BS'ed me and didn't write it. I wonder if his subconscious played a role in his decision:patrice:Like what caste is this guy from? (he's now an engineer, also teachers college math teacher) and what caste would i be in over in India:mjcry:

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
Caste is something the british made up to identify different communities. What you really want to read up on is varna.

It's not based on race or color, it's based on karma. If it were color based all white people would be brahmins, but they aren't. To be a brahmin you have to have a gotra http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotra

As for what your varna would be, you wouldn't have one.

What was your teachers last name? I can probly tell you what he is.

Last edited:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they had the caste system 2,000 years prior to the british. :heh:
:dwillhuh::russ:

why the fukk did i think that? i woulda sworn someone told me that the british emphasized it at least?

edit: wait a second breh

Caste is often thought of as an ancient fact of Hindu life, but various contemporary scholars argue that the caste system was constructed by theBritish colonial regime.[8] Between 1860 and 1920, the British segregated Indians by caste, granting administrative jobs and senior appointments only to the upper castes. Social unrest during 1920s led to a change in this policy

i mean of course there was always a class systems with priests and shyt, i know that much

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
:dwillhuh::russ:

why the fukk did i think that? i woulda sworn someone told me that the british emphasized it at least?
its like telephone, people hear it and without researching take it as gospel. It happens often, like slaves were bred, no they weren't lol. There is no documentation of slave owners forcefully making a man and woman fukk to make strong kids, they were already strong when they made the boat ride. or cracker comes from 'crack of the whip', errr the term cracker came about in the late 1800s well after slavery, not a single slave or runaway slave dairy mentions the word cracker. humans are ...sigh. its inexcusable these days, because we all have google now :snoop:

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
egyptian-social-structure.png

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
From what I understand India still has a bit of a race problem.

And typically the lower class people are the ones eager about leaving a country for better opportunity. Hence your ppl in ATL
Yea, there is an Indian-born dude in my PhD program and he tells me all the time that Indians have a nasty opinion about African Americans and African people in general. They are explicit in saying they don't care for us

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
In before the dumb muthafukkas that think its about color.
So we gonna pretend that they dont have low opinions of Africans which would extend to the dark skin color associated with africans.