What is LL Cool J missing that keeps him out of real GOAT discussion?

BBG

2014-2024
Daps
We all recognize and respect his contributions to the game, the impact and longevity is crazy, but nobody really has him top 5.

A) jay, nas, pac, big are pretty much unarguable names that are bound to show up in most people's top 5 and everyone's top 10.

B) then you have names that will show in only some top 5 list but most top 10 lists like rakim, kool g rap, eminem, cube, etc.

C) but then you have names that aren't really in anybody's top 5 and hardly in top 10 either but are still recognized as legendary MCs regardless such as KRS-One, Prodigy, andre 3000, Slick Rick, Big Pun, DMX, maybe 50, etc.

I feel like it's most common to place LL in C but he deserves to be in AT LEAST B if not A.
What is his career/skillset missing that takes away from his claim to GOAT?

this a flabby ass topic but discuss flabrehs :francis:

that moment when you high af thinking about high shyt and go to make a post about it but now you're not only pondering about the complexities of your initial thought but rather how your thread will be perceived to the masses

c7f.gif

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We all recognize and respect his contributions to the game, the impact and longevity is crazy, but nobody really has him top 5.

A) jay, nas, pac, big are pretty much unarguable names that are bound to show up in most people's top 5 and everyone's top 10.

B) then you have names that will show in only some top 5 list but most top 10 lists like rakim, kool g rap, eminem, cube, etc.

C) but then you have names that aren't really in anybody's top 5 and hardly in top 10 either but are still recognized as legendary MCs regardless such as KRS-One, Prodigy, andre 3000, Slick Rick, Big Pun, DMX, maybe 50, etc.

I feel like it's most common to place LL in C but he deserves to be in AT LEAST B if not A.
What is his career/skillset missing that takes away from his claim to GOAT?

this a flabby ass topic but discuss flabrehs :francis:

that moment when you high af thinking about high shyt and go to make a post about it but now you're not only pondering about the complexities of your initial thought but rather how your thread will be perceived to the masses

c7f.gif

To be top 5 you need some of these

BBG

2014-2024
Daps
Because he raps for "women". But the craziest thing about the goat is once upon a time KRS, Slick Rick, Rakim, D.O.C., G Rap, Kane were goat contenders and they all faded away, but 2Pac and Biggie remain 30 years later. That's insane especially when neither were considered goats in life.
I'll be 30 this year bruh, I have memories as a kid riding around with my dad listening to pac and biggie. it wasn't easy to pinpoint who was GOAT back then with piff dropping every damn week. time tells all though, pac been #1 for as long as I've been able to talk :wow:

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
He had that light skin mainstream appeal.

Everyone knew of and respected him to some degree. Like how Drake is today.

He’ll go down in history, but not really in the way he should.

People will forget him in favor of those who had more substance or larger events happen in their career like an early death for ex

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Because he raps for "women". But the craziest thing about the goat is once upon a time KRS, Slick Rick, Rakim, D.O.C., G Rap, Kane were goat contenders and they all faded away, but 2Pac and Biggie remain 30 years later. That's insane especially when neither were considered goats in life.
Dead rappers get better promotion

and your answer about LL is the right one. Mama Said Knock You Out was his peak. The love potion songs are what have kept him musically relevant since then.

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
LL wasn't able to adjust. Which is actually good. He sounds just like when he started, just sharpened his pen game.

He didn't keep the tough guy persona after going crossover, and when his book came out about his personal life, he shifted away from putting 100% into rhyming and the lifestyle.

LL was the dude you wanted to be. The ladies loved him. Fresh gold and gear. Money swagger.

Breh literally had to throttle back because so many women were at his door.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Omg..its that HIS vouchers aint on message boards at their age or all over the net. The guys/rappers who were his peers or came in the 90s always mention LL as a GOAT. Their opinion matters waaay more than yalls..

Yall buggin with these threads

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
listen to LL from around the time rakim and kane were popping and you'll hear it. he has always made radio records but he was always raw too.

I know a lot of ppl heard going back to cali like nah, but nitro and it gets no rougher, why do you think they call it dope, big ol butt, the original jingling baby ...some of his hardest records were all on that same album. and he still rhymes like that but those joints stay buried on his albums, and his production has been terrible

so I guess to answer the thread...the beats...never working with pete rock, premo, large pro, etc