what is it about Resident Evil 4 that makes it a classic

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Wrong. It was the father of over the shoulder shooters. Not 3rd person shooters in general. Also. RE4 is a classic game. But not the best RE game like people claim. shyt was never the best RE game and it actually was the start of fhe end before they picked it back up with RE7. RE2 Remake is the GOAT RE game of all time. RE Remake was the GOAT GameCube Resident Evil game.

I didnt really notice he said third person shooters in his response. I’m only referring to over the shoulder

Daps
The inventory management, the puzzles the locations the set pieces the bosses, the atmosphere the ability to revisit areas not totally linear like a lot of games in its genre.

:ohlawd:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
i guess people say it really created the over the shoulder third person shooter

It might look like a standard third person shooter but you gotta keep in mind that it's the first game to nail the "over the shoulder" camera angle.

RE4 set the standard.

I don't think RE4 was the first over the shoulder game at all, it was just the first RE to nail it and use it properly.

I recall one of the Duke Nukem games doing over the shoulder aiming years before RE. I'm sure there's more tho.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I don't think RE4 was the first over the shoulder game at all, it was just the first RE to nail it and use it properly.

I recall one of the Duke Nukem games doing over the shoulder aiming years before RE. I'm sure there's more tho.
It might not have been the first game to do that camera angle but its absolutely the first to do it right. I've played all the Duke nukem games and I dont recall any of them having that over the shoulder camera angle.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
It might not have been the first game to do that camera angle but its absolutely the first to do it right. I've played all the Duke nukem games and I dont recall any of them having that over the shoulder camera angle.

It was a 3rd person one on PS1 that did it, but only while your aiming.

I'd agree with it doing it right, I remember most third person games prior to RE4 used to have the camera centered behind the character and zoomed far out

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
It was a 3rd person one on PS1 that did it, but only while your aiming.

I'd agree with it doing it right, I remember most third person games prior to RE4 used to have the camera centered behind the character and zoomed far out
That was either time to kill or land of the babes, they felt more like tomb raider clones to me. There was a game on N64 called winback that had alot of mechanics you see in modern 3rd person shooters but that game didn't really move the needle like that.

RE4 set the default for 3rd person games similar to how Mario 64 set the standard for 3d platformers even though it wasn't the first 3d platform game.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
It was the best over the shoulder shooter at the time and a nice soft reboot to the franchise as a whole.

I think Resident evil 2 remake is the best at this point though.

This marks the last time Nintendo was on equal footing and put out a graphically superior game than the other two platforms

Easily the best game in the franchise now.

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Bruh, why are you making these :flabbynsick: threads about gaming moments every Youtuber has covered? What’s next?

Why did DVD make PS2 the winner?

Did Xbox live define multiplayer?

Why was Street Fighter 4 so important?

Did Metroid really redefine a genre?

Why did the Jaguar Fail?

Why did Crash Bandicoot succeed but Gex fail?

Why did Nokia abandon the N Gage?

What made the Game Boy so successful when the Game Gear was superior?

Who greenlit Shaq Fu?

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Resident Evil 2 and the remake is the best game in the series

BUT

Resident Evil 4, loosened the stiff controls, freeing movement, increased the pace of the game without removing the tension, changed the silly puzzles into something more engaging, changed the clunky inventory and was one of the 5 best looking games on the Gamecube.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
always thought it was great to watch but trash to play. i still think RE3 is better till this day. :birdman:

till-this-day-deontay-wilder.gif

Kenyan West

lazy fba philly nikka,
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Simply, you had to be there. When RE4 dropped on the GameCube, it was revolutionary and critically acclaimed all across the board. It had a unique almost indescribable feel, it rebooted the stale ass franchise and ultimately it was just fun. Nothing was out like it at the time.

If you played it today for the first time, you'd still enjoy it because it's a great game, but it'll be nothing special as many games since then jacked it's style.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Perspective
Art direction
Varied environments
Boss fights
Story length