What gaming genre did you like in the past that now you don’t like anymore?

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
For me it has to be JRPG. Used to love that genre during the ps1-2 days and I’ve played a lot but the older I get, the more I see them as :scust:

I mean I still play them occasionally especially the classic ones like final fantasy and Dragon Quest but no way will I play some generic jrpg now like I would’ve in the past. The character design, archaic gameplay, weird dialogues etc, are just off putting me for me now.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
JRPG - I LOVED Final Famtasy 3 for Snes. I LOVED Final Fantasy Tactics. Nowadays, that interest has morphed into my interest in turn based Xcom style games. Interestingly, I have Phoenix Point installed on my Xbox but just can't seem to find the rightoment to be hyped to play. I'm wondering if I'm losing interest in that genre. :ohhh:

Sports games - Nothing I loved more than to cop NBA2k and use my terrible Knicks against other people's best teams and body them on quick play for money and trash talk. :wow:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sports games. I used play NBA 2K/NFL 2K heavy from the first ones up until NBA 2K11. NFL 2K I played up until the NFL license was taken from them to EA.

For the most part I still enjoy the same genres I liked in the past. I still really love JRPGs(even though I don't finish most of them), platformers, side scrollers and sometimes puzzle games.

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
Same, I can't do JRPGs anymore no matter how hard I try. I think it hit me with Kingdom Hearts 3 because I was obsessed with the first two. Even played off shoots like BBS on PSP and DDD on 3DS. But I couldn't even stay awake with KH3. Could've just been series fatigue, idk. But yea generally I avoid them these days. Outside of Scarlet Nexus, Nier was my last. And I only played SN because it was on Gamepass.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Gonna echo the JRPG thing… I used to love ultra-weeby anime centric turn based rpgs. It’s what primarily really got me to love gaming, since getting a hand me down FF2(4j) back in 93 on Super Nintendo. This was back when as a kid I’d rather do anything but to constantly read a bunch of shyt either. But yeah I got hooked on the genre pretty early.

Now a days a JRPG game has to be pretty special for me to care about it. Even going back and playing some of the old stuff with random encounters is painful now. I just can’t get into a lot of the trope-y japanese storytelling anymore, it’s always the same shyt.

I feel like the western rpg/action games kind of replaced them for me. The story telling is much more mature. You eventually get tired of playing as kids in highschool killing god with the power of friendship.

Kinda glad the new final fantasy and dragon quest are going in a different direction than the last games

Also, any game where co-op is involved. I used to love multiplayer games back when couch co-op was still viable, fighting games, sports games, stuff like mario kart, etc. now that you gotta go online to enjoy them im kind of single player only now. I just dont like tying my gaming experiences to random people online

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
I would probably say Sports now. The games are just so terrible nowadays. They took College Hoops 2k from me, they took NCAA Football from me, they took Skate from me. Madden ain't been good since 06. shyt just all bad it the sports genre rn.

They're bring Skate back as well as NCAA Football, but I just don't trust them to make good sports games.

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
JRPG - I LOVED Final Famtasy 3 for Snes. I LOVED Final Fantasy Tactics. Nowadays, that interest has morphed into my interest in turn based Xcom style games. Interestingly, I have Phoenix Point installed on my Xbox but just can't seem to find the rightoment to be hyped to play. I'm wondering if I'm losing interest in that genre. :ohhh:

Sports games - Nothing I loved more than to cop NBA2k and use my terrible Knicks against other people's best teams and body them on quick play for money and trash talk. :wow:
Same, I can't do JRPGs anymore no matter how hard I try. I think it hit me with Kingdom Hearts 3 because I was obsessed with the first two. Even played off shoots like BBS on PSP and DDD on 3DS. But I couldn't even stay awake with KH3. Could've just been series fatigue, idk. But yea generally I avoid them these days. Outside of Scarlet Nexus, Nier was my last. And I only played SN because it was on Gamepass.
Kingdom hearts 3 was a let down and many of the Disney worlds didn't hit as hard because they weren't classics we grew up on (frozen, tangled) plus we just getting older so unless the nostalgia there those worlds gonna put us to sleep.
As far as Jrpgs go yeah this is true but Jrpgs had a big fall off during the ps3/Xbox 360 era up to the mid ps4/Xbox one era. I've noticed the best ones have been ones that implement a turn based system. Persona 5, Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveler etc. I have yet to play Tales of Arise but FF Vii remake was good.

Sports games - I love playing nba 2k especially the myplayer rpg mode but the micro transactions and ads have ruined the game. $60 to play then another 60 to upgrade your player to even be competitive online and myteam is :scust: plus the community is toxic now

Fighting games - yeah I'm not with spending hours of my day training to learn combos in a video game. Got shyt to do.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Racing. Once I could get out of the car, kill somebody, and get in another fast car, it was the countdown to the end for me. NFS and GT were staples for me up to about PS3/360.

I definitely understand the appeal tho, especially for sim racers

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The smackdown games.

I would say wrestling games, but I stopped fw wrestling altogether when that was happening :russ:

Fighting games - yeah I'm not with spending hours of my day training to learn combos in a video game. Got shyt to do.

Goddamn I’m really not into fighting games anymore either, outside of brawlers :russ:

A lotta genres fell by the wayside for me without even noticing

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm glad y'all realizing how trash JRPG's are. They've always been. :sas1::sas2:

RPGs in general were :camby: status to me, because if I heard RPG I assumed turn based not knowing any better. If it wasn’t the first couple runs of Pokémon I wasn’t fw it. Add the J aesthetic to it, and they killed me before I even got into it :russ:

No Persona slander tho :ufdup:

IslandG

All Star
Daps
Also, any game where co-op is involved. I used to love multiplayer games back when couch co-op was still viable, fighting games, sports games, stuff like mario kart, etc. now that you gotta go online to enjoy them im kind of single player only now. I just dont like tying my gaming experiences to random people online

This for me, especially as it relates to fighting games. Nothing was more fun than a bunch of us meeting up at a friend’s house after school and having some Street Fighter or MK showdowns back in the day. The online functionality of recent era just don’t motivate me as much.

Bought SFV, started moving up the rankings online, got bored. Haven’t played it much since.