What exactly does ‘sub-Sahara Africa’ mean?

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
berbers aren't arabs, north africa is their terrain and they are closely related to horners.
Fact is racially and culturally they're different from sub Saharan Africans and even they don't particularly call themselves Africans. A lot of them see themselves as Muslims, Arabs and not African. Stop trying to include people who don't want you.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
Fact is racially and culturally they're different from sub Saharan Africans and even they don't particularly call themselves Africans. A lot of them see themselves as Muslims, Arabs and not African. Stop trying to include people who don't want you.
I think I know a little bit more about africa than you do, and no, they call themselves african.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think I know a little bit more about africa than you do, and no, they call themselves african.
And that's why they accept black Africans and treat them like fellow Africans when the go there right? Keep fighting that acceptance good fight breh.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You mean how south africans treat other africans. congratulations, you now know how tribalism works.

#teamdarkskinned
Black people from Africa are doing better in South Africa than they do in North Africa and that's a fact. A few xenophobic protests doesn't mask the fact that as a black person you're more likely to be accepted by your fellow black people in the south than morocco or Egypt.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
Black people from Africa are doing better in South Africa than they do in North Africa and that's a fact. A few xenophobic protests doesn't mask the fact that as a black person you're more likely to be accepted by your fellow black people in the south than morocco or Egypt.
Being murdered and having multiple riots and chased out of communities is 'not that bad'.

Perhaps I should simply point out the only genocide to ever happen in africa came via black on black. There's millions of black people in the north and none of them were exterminated. On the contrary, in Mali it was the other way around, but your media won't tell you about that.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Myself as a breh from CAR I don't really have an issue with term. The one friend who eally does have an issue with is...Algerian, because she considers herself African first and doesn't like the separation the term implies. She's from the intellectual background of panafricanism, in which Algeria played a significant role, so that might explain her views.

I guess it's a term that makes sense geographically, but like others can be used badly. And even geographically, yes the Sahara is somewhat of a natural "border", but in reality people have been crossing it for thousands of years. Indeed North, South, East, West and Central Africa makes much more sense.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
It means Black African as the French call it "l'Afrique Noire" (Black Africa). The way to distinguish predominantly Black African nations South of the Sahara from their non-Black majority counterparts in the North.

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Being murdered and having multiple riots and chased out of communities is 'not that bad'.

Perhaps I should simply point out the only genocide to ever happen in africa came via black on black. There's millions of black people in the north and none of them were exterminated. On the contrary, in Mali it was the other way around, but your media won't tell you about that.
The Herero never happened? or King Leopold? Mali is not the type of country that handles the volumes of migrants that are in SA because it does not have the same level of economic opportunities and not mention it's problems with Islamists. The poster is right with respect to economic opportunities , you will find doctors,professors, CEOs,teachers and a host of other professionals from other African countries in SA. I don't think the North has that same level of social mobility for African migrants and that includes Libya too.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
My issue with the term is more so historical than it denoting where darker skinned indigenous Africans live.

Its important to remember the Saharan desert is a fairly recent thing in the grand scheme of things and that it was lush greenland for a long period of human habitation on the continent.

The other thing is that it kind of implies that the desert is an impenetrable barrier when kingdoms below and above the desert have been interacting for millennia.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
JBoy said:
what's a better term to use in place of Sub-Saharan Africa?

Well, to start, how about the names of the actual countries/Nations in-use instead of the region they occupy.

Sub-Saharan Africa is larger in area than most of the other continents COMBINED, but we don't refer to them as 'Sub-Arctic America" or 'Super-Antarctic Australia'.​