What do you think will be the selling point of next gen’ mid gen upgrade?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You guys must be oblivious to tech advancements if you think they will not sell you a mid gen despite how seemingly powerful Series X and PS5 are.

Remember how "The world's most powerful console!" was shouted from the rooftops merely 3 years ago? "True 4K"? Well now it's "No, really True 4K". Later it will be "8K gaming".

Mid-gen refresh in about 3~4 years for true 8K/4K 120fps. In 4 years they will be selling you on "true 8K gaming". Sony especially will want to get a slim PS5 out either way.

another new Peter Parker
Miles Morales remastered. Comes bundled in with Spider-Man 2 ultimate edition.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Really not sure.

The business/pessimistic side of me says there's definitely going to be a mid gen refresh, seeing as that round of consoles seems to have sold well enough, based on benefits. I have a PS4 Pro, and it's solely because I had a 4K TV before I even had a ton of content to actually watch in 4K.

However, this time around, the appeal could only be 8K and/or framerates. However, I'm thinking that 8K adoption might end up being slower than even 4K was. We're still not getting as much 4K content (outside of gaming) as most people would prefer, and there doesn't appear to be any concrete plan for 8K content at all. So, I think that going pure resolution wouldn't be the best investment.

So, that would just be pushing for the refresh to focus on unlocked 60+ framerates for everything. While I would appreciate it, I'm not entirely sure that would end up selling as well as the Pro/One X did last time. People overlook that those came along right as 4K had finally matured and reached the point that if people were buying a TV, if was guaranteed to be a 4K set.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Microsoft could work on a faster storage solution while Sony could work on a better CPU and GPU. If there is one, the cycle will basically be parity and from then on you just have to ask yourself if you're a stan, or if you're a normal functioning human being, and then make your decision :yeshrug:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Sony and Microsoft seem to be on different trajectories.

I doubt there will be a “mid gen” Series X. The SX seems future proofed enough for the next ~7 years. The next Xbox will simply be the next in the series.

Sony “believes in generations” so they might have a mid gen, that’s a bit more powerful than SX, then their true “next gen” machine will come at some point later.

Don’t think they will be sold on resolution. It will be advanced graphical features like Ray tracing.
Im sorry, but you cant really "future proof" tech for 7 whole years. There are some things you can add that may not be replaced soon, but in terms of graphical and computational power, shyt can change quite a bit in even the span of 4 years..
Thats why they always release slim versions of systems that are usually quite a bit more efficient than the original console at launch.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Im sorry, but you cant really "future proof" tech for 7 whole years. There are some things you can add that may not be replaced soon, but in terms of graphical and computational power, shyt can change quite a bit in even the span of 4 years..
Thats why they always release slim versions of systems that are usually quite a bit more efficient than the original console at launch.
“Slim” version is very different than a mid gen upgrade.

Im sure there will be a slim version or some type of refinement, but I doubt it will have upgraded specs until it’s time for a real generational leap.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
“Slim” version is very different than a mid gen upgrade.

Im sure there will be a slim version or some type of refinement, but I doubt it will have upgraded specs until it’s time for a real generational leap.
Im using the slim as an example. If there exists refinements in hardware that allow them to reduce power consumption by 30 percent (and release a slim) , then there will also be hardware that provides 30 percent more power at the same power envelope. At that point the economics exist that allows them to push out a refresh. Since tech consumers love buying shyt, they would be leaving money on the table if they chose NOT to go with a refresh.
I guess only time will tell.

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
The only thing that's gonna mean anything is the disparity of graphics between last and next gen

If the graphics don't make a jump in the year 2022 then I'm not copping