but if i could just cop some dumbbells for cheaper that would be cool too

which gives you better gains

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
For a while I hated barbells because my shytty form was giving me injuries. Harder to mess up on DBs.

But if you get your form right, and you have the body for it, I think BB is better. You can't go up 2.5lb a side on DBs, plus you don't have to set it up as much.

Just make sure you get a setup that will let you protect your neck :merchant:

AJW

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Berkshire, England
I would say barbell from personal experiences. I find it very hard to stimulate muscules with most dummbell exercises to be honest, however I know some dudes are the opposite and only feel the benefit with dumbbells.

semtex

:)
Daps
Both are good. Keep both of them in your routine. Dumbbells are more difficult but that doesn't really mean db bench is better. Barbell has the edge in being a less limited exercise. Once you get to a certain point with dumbbell bench, getting the damn things set up is harder than the exercise. That's not the case with barbell bench, far more simple.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
then do it and make you some money nikka :stopitslime:

Sure. Lemme go ahead and get my engineering degree, draw up a business plan, source funding, and start a fitness equipment business real quick. Be on the lookout for your new dumbell rack stands sometime around January 2020.

:stopitslime:

Product manufacturing goes well beyond concept design. Me drawing something on a piece of paper makes me exactly $0. Even if I pitched a design to an existing manufacturer what would stop them from just designing their own, since I would not own the intellectual property for anything but my own design?

ChrisDorner

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Sure. Lemme go ahead and get my engineering degree, draw up a business plan, source funding, and start a fitness equipment business real quick. Be on the lookout for your new dumbell rack stands sometime around January 2020.

Product manufacturing goes well beyond concept design. Me drawing something on a piece of paper makes me exactly $0. Even if I pitched a design to an existing manufacturer what would stop them from just designing their own, since I would not own the intellectual property for anything but my own design?

31362-Neil-Tyson-weve-got-a-badass-h-XiYj.gif

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You should do both. DB's give you more control to get a good contraction, and of course barbell you can lift more.

k5banga

Evil has a NEW face..
Daps
I use both at the same time, I do a set on bench then pick up the dumbbells and hit a set with them, going back n forth on flat bench and incline like that

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA
http://www.ironmaster.com/Spotting-stand.html#.VAI8nnrn_Fo

This idea with a better engineering design could be a lifesaver for dumbell lovers.

Too bad this one is so poorly designed. I could sketch up something better in 30 minutes

then do it and make you some money nikka :stopitslime:

:dead: @ this exchange

Daps
Reppin
San Antonio,TX
I would say BB since your goal is overall mass and hypertrophy. You will be able to push much more weight on the BB. However just from a bodybuilding perspective DB's are excellent for evenly sculpting the chest when done correctly.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
I do DB's. I learned proper form and control using Dumbbell's and for some reason i feel more resistance using them

Daps
Reppin
SoFla
Recently switched to DB and I like them a lot better. Greater range of motion and allow for more flexibility; for example, I typically will turn my wrists so they face each other at the top of each rep to work the middle of my chest. Also, I feel far less stress on my shoulders with DB. Harder to setup though, and harder to do drop sets with.