What did Amy Schumer do to get all this media push?

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
not just Schumer - am I the only person who don't find overly sexual women funny?

I'm with you on this, and it might sound a tad patriarchal and erring on the side of misogyny, but overt and brazen sexuality is a huge turn-off. But to be fair, when dudes make sex jokes I'm not a fan either. It feels like low-hanging fruit, but it seems even lower hanging when it's a woman. Women talk about other women making "period jokes" being hacks, but make vagina jokes, which are exactly the same thing.

But on the flip-side, I find women who are genuinely funny, infinitely more attractive than the standard idea of attractive women.

:yeshrug:

Trip

slippery slope
Daps
Reppin
FL
I was wondering this myself...I figured with all the good reviews Trainwreck would be really funny. It wasn't funny...like at all. What the hell happened to comedy.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I'm with you on this, and it might sound a tad patriarchal and erring on the side of misogyny, but overt and brazen sexuality is a huge turn-off. But to be fair, when dudes make sex jokes I'm not a fan either. It feels like low-hanging fruit, but it seems even lower hanging when it's a woman. Women talk about other women making "period jokes" being hacks, but make vagina jokes, which are exactly the same thing.

But on the flip-side, I find women who are genuinely funny, infinitely more attractive than the standard idea of attractive women.

:yeshrug:
i like sarcastic women that can go toe to toe with me, not super flirts who make crass "male style" jokes. ive never been into that.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I kinda like Dane Cook...he's hit and miss with his jokes...
tumblr_inline_nm3jx6ulv41rq5p7o.gif

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
She's been grinding in the stand up circuit for years, had a strong run on Last Comic Standing almost a decade ago. She did the Comedy Central Roast thing and was one of the tougher comedians. I'm pretty sure she was on one of Patrice's Black Phillip episodes too. Follow that up with her sketch show which is a feminist perspective on the entertainment industry most of the time and she can tap into a group that has gained a lot of traction. Now she's got a Judd Appatow movie that she wrote and starred in. I think mainstream media likes the feminist sell and the fact that she writes sketches and shows (I've actually seen Amy Poehler and Tina Fey name drops with regards to her and I don't really think that's accurate). As a stand up head, I can respect that she did the long grind and worked her way up. I also think she's one of the better female comedians in the game. Her comedy is hit or miss with me, some good and some corny. I feel the same way about her show, I like Key and Peele more but she gets some good ones in and has had some viral success. The movie, I'm not very interested in but I'll probably give it a look when it hits dvd if I need a romantic comedy to peep with a girl.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
I saw her standup special on Comedy Central the other night. I legit laughed a few times....

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
This is typical of the kind of racial comedy she performs:
fukk that racist shyt

I think she's Chuck Schumer's niece, she's a woman, she's not pretty so she gets that "ugly/fat shaming" sympathy vote, and people been getting in trouble for saying women aren't funny.

I've seen some of her specials and she does those soft-racism black jokes. Kind of like a lightweight Sarah Silverman. Funny how Jewish comedians LOVE telling Black jokes because "it's just a joke" but go back at 'em with some Nazi shyt and they'll shut down the whole club.
Lol reminds me of that Paul mooney bit where he tells the joke of the jew who won the lottery bc of his concentration camp number. shyt like that makes me appreciate mooney even more
Why the heck are you guys such bitter fukks ...entertainers have their shine time and it rotates they fall off have a comeback later or disappear

She's genuinely funny I saw train wreck last night and she deserves her shine right now it's a different type of charming and she sells it well

You guys sound like high school bytch clique nerds hating on who's popular
fukk outta here