What Cities Are Black People Moving to/Leaving?

Asante

All Star
Daps
This deals with metropolitan areas not city propers....

WHERE RACE-ETHNIC MINORITY GROUPS ARE HIGHLY REPRESENTED IN THE 100 LARGEST METROPOLITAN AREAS

Map_(2).png

Map_(1).png

Six maps that reveal America’s expanding racial diversity

General US growth for reference

Fastest_growing_economies_2x_e1513023266362.png

From what I see Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, Dallas, Houston are the cities with large to descent size black populations that are growing at a fast rate. West side outside of Cali and Southwest cities with low black populations are growing at the highest rates. The Great Lakes region of the Midwest Chicago, St Louis, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee netting to almost a zero percent gain. The East Coast is growing, but slow outside of Boston. The deep south outside of the Atlantic coast region in places like the Delta region and the black belt of Alabama aren't attracting black people at a fast rate.

My home city of Louisville is surprising growing at a double digit rate, which is coming from exodus of the neighboring Midwest cities (especially Detroit - a reverse "great migration"). Despite that however the city now lacks a black infrastructure, and the blacks are therefore moving into a growing assimilationist culture. Atlanta is growing at 20%, and from what the research shows blacks are the fastest growing ethnic group after Asians in Atlanta.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Atlanta seems to still be growing at an impressive rate. I moved out here 3 years ago, and quite a few people I know are still moving here or talking about moving here. Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, and Raleigh are other cities that seem to be on the radar of blacks.

In a few years, I plan on moving back to North Carolina, which is a hotbed for black movement at the moment. Moving either to Greensboro (a city that is nearly 50% black and growing) or Charlotte.

Asante

All Star
Daps
Atlanta seems to still be growing at an impressive rate. I moved out here 3 years ago, and quite a few people I know are still moving here or talking about moving here. Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, and Raleigh are other cities that seem to be on the radar of blacks.

In a few years, I plan on moving back to North Carolina, which is a hotbed for black movement at the moment. Moving either to Greensboro (a city that is nearly 50% black and growing) or Charlotte.

I always wanted to know what the big draw was to North Carolina for Black Americans. Is it the culture or the economy?

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I always wanted to know what the big draw was to North Carolina for Black Americans. Is it the culture or the economy?
I think it’s moreso the economy, as Charlotte is big in the financial sector and Raleigh/Durham is big in healthcare. The Greensboro - Piedmont area is growing as well, as there has been some aviation & manufacturing opening in the area.

As for culture, you’re not getting that as much in the state as other places. It’s a state that is rich in education, though, with many high quality universities both public and private.

Asante

All Star
Daps
From my experience and family connections, every city on the West coast is probably seeing a loss of Black population rivaling the northeastern/midwest rust belt.

Even though economies are "better" they are very narrow (i.e. tech, finance, entertainment) and cost of living is just too high.

Interesting. We’ll see if California’s recent lowering of the rent prices will stop the black exodus

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Interesting. We’ll see if California’s recent lowering of the rent prices will stop the black exodus

Nah, they are WAY too high. It needs to out and out crash unfortunately. Unless you inherit or live in the sticks, it is hard to buy in any Cali metro if you don't make decent six figures as a household.

Immigration and the crowding out of low wage jobs by immigrants is another reason though. I don't see the exodus stopping anytime soon. Black Cali will always exist but be a shadow of its former influence.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
it makes me wonder are they counting ADOS or East Africans for Seattles 20% increase in Black residents :jbhmm:

I highly doubt ADOS brehs are moving into Seattle like that. Even the tech sector with Amazon/Microsoft ain't drawing them like that. However, if the military is moving brehs out there that is a different story.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I had a job offer from Boeing in Seattle when I first graduated, but i just couldn’t go that far north. Didn’t want to be far from fam, and I’m a country boy at heart.

I have always wanted to visit, though.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I moved to Texas always a decade ago. It was great for my career and my net worth. Still want to move back to the South eventually I think though.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I got fam all throughout the Carolinas.

It's the south and country as hell...but it's cool to me.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:Raleigh is going to be the new spot for blacks in the next 10 years. Like what Atlanta was in early 2000's NC will be in 2020- onward.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
:mjlol:Raleigh is going to be the new spot for blacks in the next 10 years. Like what Atlanta was in early 2000's NC will be in 2020- onward.
Bunch of people from DC moving down to North Carolina. Clearly it’s cheaper but it also has a nice economy and it’s not as far as Atlanta. If DC wasn’t so damn expensive, this place would have the growth of the Southern cities. Met some New Yorkers that said they aren’t moving anywhere south of DC.

btw, I expect the DFW black pop to pass Houston black pop within the next couple years.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Bunch of people from DC moving down to North Carolina. Clearly it’s cheaper but it also has a nice economy and it’s not as far as Atlanta. If DC wasn’t so damn expensive, this place would have the growth of the Southern cities. Met some New Yorkers that said they aren’t moving anywhere south of DC.

btw, I expect the DFW black pop to pass Houston black pop within the next couple years.
Yep. I live in the DC area and when my work career is over I'm moving back to North Carolina.

Probably Charlotte though since I'm a sports fan. Gotta go to some games.