What Certification do you guys have?

HoopLife

Superstar
Daps
Hey breh's I just graduated with a BA in Economics and I'm thinking about getting some IT certifications. My question is what cert's would you guys recommend I get first (somebody told me I should start with A+ is this true?) and what are some of your own cert's you have and how long did it take for you to acquire them. Also does it matter that I don't have a BA in some computer related degree? Thanks in Advance and I appreciate whatever information you guys could provide.

Kodie

Pro
Daps
Hey breh's I just graduated with a BA in Economics and I'm thinking about getting some IT certifications. My question is what cert's would you guys recommend I get first (somebody told me I should start with A+ is this true?) and what are some of your own cert's you have and how long did it take for you to acquire them. Also does it matter that I don't have a BA in some computer related degree? Thanks in Advance and I appreciate whatever information you guys could provide.
Do you know what it is you actually want to do?

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
is the trifecta worth it nowadays for someone with no IT background? I’ve heard you need 3+ years experience just to get a simple entry level help desk job.

:unimpressed:
I would say yes, but it can be a pain getting in and getting right. Helps a LOT to know someone. Also, make sure you know how to actually do tasks, like adding users to the network, creating a network, building a PC. Some people pass the tests, get exposed not being able to do the shyt, then lose anyway. I learned at home and in the field, got the certs just to have them for appearances.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I would say yes, but it can be a pain getting in and getting right. Helps a LOT to know someone. Also, make sure you know how to actually do tasks, like adding users to the network, creating a network, building a PC. Some people pass the tests, get exposed not being able to do the shyt, then lose anyway. I learned at home and in the field, got the certs just to have them for appearances.
I think just knowing the right person can get you a job. I work in IT and the idiots I've seen come in and out of this field is amazing to me. I'm talking people working in IT not knowing basic troubleshooting techniques. I've seen dudes just get their friend hired in two weeks simply because they needed someone. Before getting in this job it sounded like it'd be the scariest shyt ever but once here I'm like :dahell:? My job consists of basically taking IT incidents users in the company submit through a help desk. Tickets vary from basic Windows issues, software issues to more physical hardware issues. Things I don't know I learn on the spot. I've done jobs for VIP users, top level admins and whatnot and that shyt is easier when you're in it already. I learned all my IT knowledge literally before I went to school so in class it was literally :yawn: every day.

KageDaBeast

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Durham, NC

What job do you currently have?

I’ve heard you need 3+ years experience just to get a simple entry level help desk job.

:unimpressed:
I just started working on my school's help desk and I've been taking classes for almost a year now. Prior to this, I didn't have any IT experience just retail / sales jobs. I did have this company tell me they liked how I've done customer service at my other jobs, so they could really just teach me the other skills once hired; though these jobs always fell through compared to my school job.

Last edited:

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
Net+
Security +
CISSP

Security+ was needed (in addition to my clearance) because I've done a lot of gov't contract work
CISSP was not needed but I wanted it knowing it could open up more managerial IT positions

Level of difficulty
Net & Sec + - 3/10
CISSP - 10/10 lol