What are your personal modern horror classics?

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
@Avisible Man Really like those picks. Yeah, it felt like Rob Zombie took what he learned from House of 1000 Corpses’ mistakes and crafted a way better film in Rejects. Still think it’s his best work today.

I thought Paranormal Activity was jokes at first due to the crazy marketing and word of mouth at the time. Managed to sit down one day to give it a watch and….yeah, I ate plenty of crow lol. When a film is spawning copycats, I think that’s pretty telling of how impactful it is.

Personally felt It (2017) could’ve had better scares than it did but the film shattered the box office and for a coming of age horror, blended the horror and comedic aspects really well for an otherwise fukked up novel. Agree with you on this one as well. I’d like to pretend Chapter 2 didn’t exist though.

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
@Avisible Man Really like those picks. Yeah, it felt like Rob Zombie took what he learned from House of 1000 Corpses’ mistakes and crafted a way better film in Rejects. Still think it’s his best work today.

Personally felt It (2017) could’ve had better scares than it did but the film shattered the box office and for a coming of age horror, blended the horror and comedic aspects really well for an otherwise fukked up novel. Agree with you on this one as well. I’d like to pretend Chapter 2 didn’t exist though.

My favorite Rob Zombie movie is El Superbeasto :sas2: I liked his Halloween remake and 31. Dude who played the murderous clown woulda been a great Joker. He also played Joe Chill in Batman Begins.

IT got a lil repetitive / formulaic with the scares but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the movie. I watch IT whenever IT's on TV. IT's all good with me.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
My favorite Rob Zombie movie is El Superbeasto :sas2: I liked his Halloween remake and 31. Dude who played the murderous clown woulda been a great Joker. He also played Joe Chill in Batman Begins.

IT got a lil repetitive / formulaic with the scares but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the movie. I watch IT whenever IT's on TV. IT's all good with me.
Gonna add that one to the list. Never knew Rob dipped his feet on the animated side. His version of Halloween was very brutal, and I liked that. I was mostly raised in the early 2000s so seeing Juni Cortez from Spy Kids get bodied the way he did was a shocker. :picard:

Felt like the child actors in IT: Chapter 1 actually had fun with working with one another whereas the adult cast while good felt like they were acting in their own films by the end of it.

Guess I’ll throw my picks out there, I haven’t seen these mentioned:

The House of the Devil (2009)
The Strangers (2008)
Sinister (2012)
The Descent (2005)

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
Gonna add that one to the list. Never knew Rob dipped his feet on the animated side. His version of Halloween was very brutal, and I liked that. I was mostly raised in the early 2000s so seeing Juni Cortez from Spy Kids get bodied the way he did was a shocker. :picard:

Felt like the child actors in IT: Chapter 1 actually had fun with working with one another whereas the adult cast while good felt like they were acting in their own films by the end of it.

Guess I’ll throw my picks out there, I haven’t seen these mentioned:

The House of the Devil (2009)
The Strangers (2008)
Sinister (2012)
The Descent (2005)

That lil fukking bully had that shyt coming to him.

There were some great kills in there: Danny Trejo getting nearly drowned and then crushed with a CRT TV. Damn. :dwillhuh: William Forsythe getting taped up and throat slit. :demonic: William Forsythe was great in his scenes too. Forsythe fukkery 👇🏾

In terms of IT, the adult actors weren't touching the kids :whoa: when it came to the chemistry and camaraderie. It was definitely weaker and damn near 3 hours long. But Bill Hader was good, so was the dude who played Eddie and I got a thing for Jessica Chastain so I'll still watch it when it comes on TV if there ain't something else better on. :yeshrug:

I mentioned Sinister, which I haven't seen but it gets high praise. I did mention a lot of movies; horror is probably my favorite genre. I also mentioned The Descent, which was great. Part 2 was aight but not in the same league. The Strangers was good. If you liked that then you'd like Vacancy. You might wanna check out Funny Games. That was legitimately disturbing. I saw the English remake, which was directed by the same Director of the original. Michael Pitt was in it playing a role that was perfect for him. :demonic:

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Mandy - My gawd, what a psychadelic rollercoaster ride of action and horror, this is one of Nick Cage's hit movies, where he's not over acting or channeling Elvis. its perfect, right up there with Pig.

Hereditary - Perfect balance of shock scares and unnerving musical score, coupled with psychological terror and beautifully written. The pacing is fantastic.

The Lighthouse. - This is just an acting class with Willem Dafoe, the writing, the pacing, the shots, and of course, the acting, are all A+, you feel the turmoil of Pattensons character and the sheer slip to mandess from Dafoe's....yet you oddly want to see more. You become as sadistic as the captain behaves and ultimately you want to see both men tortured. Its high cinema at its finest.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
The Lighthouse. - This is just an acting class with Willem Dafoe, the writing, the pacing, the shots, and of course, the acting, are all A+, you feel the turmoil of Pattensons character and the sheer slip to mandess from Dafoe's....yet you oddly want to see more. You become as sadistic as the captain behaves and ultimately you want to see both men tortured. Its high cinema at its finest.
Not a single lie told
full

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Here's my list in the 12 subgenres I think make up the majority of horror.
My picks are mostly movies I like that I think should/will get their roses from horror fans before it's all over:

ALIEN: Slither (2006)
COMEDIC: Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (2012)
DEMONIC: The Dark and the Wicked (2020)
FOUND FOOTAGE: The Bay (2012)
MONSTER: The Host (2007)
PARANORMAL: Last Shift (2014)
PSYCHOLOGICAL: Triangle (2009)
SLASHER: Hatchet (2006)
SPLATTER/GORE: Terrifier (2016)
VAMPIRE: Jakob's Wife (2021)
WITCHCRAFT: The Wretched (2020)
ZOMBIE: Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Black Swan
Triangle
Wolf Of Snowhollow
Hereditary (fukk that movie)
Evil Dead Rise
Witch
Ready or Not
The Innkeepers

Last edited:

Reptile

Reptile For Mortal Kombat 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outworld
Here's my list in the 12 subgenres I think make up the majority of horror.
My picks are mostly movies I like that I think should/will get their roses from horror fans before it's all over:

DEMONIC: The Dark and the Wicked (2020)

This movie is fukking depraved as fukk. And shyt doesnt even happen for real (the ending is crazy). Its eerie as hell.