Essential What Are You Listening To?

Esco

Rich & Black
Daps

This song hits different now that I know this is a diss to Premier

Guru wrote this track the day after him and Premier had a huge fight. Here’s Premiers anology:

Me and Guru had a big fist fight. A big one. You see these two marks right here? [Points to his knuckles]. That’s his teeth marks from biting into my fist. And they never went away. It was a very bloody fight, but we had already gotten money from the label [to do the song for White Men Can’t Jump]. He was like, ‘I’m not speaking to you, I don’t want to ever work with you again.’ It was over something very serious, which I won’t get into.
I remember he came [to the studio], and he had bandages on his head. He had cuts from us going back and forth fighting. White Men Can’t Jump is about basketball, so all the lyrics are about basketball. ‘Down the lane,’ ‘in your eye,’ ‘360 dunk in your face.’ All that was about me. He looked me in the eye the whole time in the booth, and I looked at him, and he did that verse in one take. Then he said, ‘Is it good?’ And I was like, ‘Yeah.’ And he goes, ‘fukk you!’ And he walked out the room. It was the first fight we ever had in our lives. But a dope record came out of it.