Essential What Are You Listening To?

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps

Been listening to this one alot, prince doesn't get enough credit for being just as controversial as any other Rockstar at that time. Maybe even moreso, sporting that punk look and giving PC culture the middle finger while tearing down walls regarding sexuality and sexual freedom. I think it's a thread on its own regarding how big of a staple this album was on rock and perhaps even punk culture.

received-302702964720332.gif

Hell These were prince's words concerning the track uptown, tell me this doesn't sound like Punk rock culture in a nutshell:

"took a lot of heat all the time. People would say something about our clothes or the way we looked or who we were with, and we'd end up fighting. I was a very good fighter... I never lost. I don't know if I fight fair, but I go for it. That's what 'Uptown' is about - we do whatever we want, and those who cannot deal with it have a problem within themselves."

As for the album, one of my favorite tracks was Sister. It's one of his more controversial tracks that shocked alot of people. Here's an earlier studio take (which I personally like a bit better than the album version)

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps

I love this album too, my favorite track is Private Joy. But I think this might be when he lost the ears of most of his hard rock fans. I think tracks like this let people know he was evolving from the edgy underground rock look. It wasn't a single on controversy but up until that point it was the most pop sounding track he had ever created. The song sounds too new wave to fit in with anything in the dirty mind era. The use of synthesizers on the track make it new wave funk more like.

One of the things I Iove about prince is that his music is great but they sound even better live. This is back when Dez dikkerson was in the band and he could really slam on guitar.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
This would have been dope had he played the whole damn song :mad:

His covers tho :ohlawd: this is sweet thing from the same show. Again it's short but dope nonetheless

He covered Oye Como VA around the time he was promoting Raven un 2 the joy, listen to him get down on the guitar. A fitting cover seeing as how much he admired Santana: